Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a year out?

Options
  • 15-01-2009 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, I'm just coming back to UL after co-op to finish my second semester of third year and was thinking about taking a year out before going back to 4th year. How do i go about this? Is it a common thing for people to do? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's not all that common but it does happen for a variety of reasons.

You have to apply for a leave of absence, using this form. The student status committee considers the application, you'll be required to be at the meeting (and in any case, you'll want to be at the meeting).

The main circumstances for which they grant a leave of absence are listed here (down the page, under "leave of absence"). It isn't an exhaustive list but if you're thinking of applying to go away and bum around on the beach for a year they're often not all that accommodating so keep that in mind when you're filling out the form (if you're filling out the form, I've included it as it's got useful information at the bottom of page 2).

A chat with your academic advisor wouldn't go amiss. Or the counselling service if that's relevant in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You should also check whether you'll have to pay registration fees for the year you take out, as you must remain a registered student in order to come back.

Advertisement