Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Duty/Tax

Options
  • 15-01-2009 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me where I can find the import duty rate for motorcycle plastic parts from the UK and from China that I am liable to pay or is there a flat import duty rate for everything ?

Thanks !.
    :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭elgransenor

Storm99 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where I can find the import duty rate for motorcycle plastic parts from the UK and from China that I am liable to pay or is there a flat import duty rate for everything ?

Thanks !.
    :(

Get onto www.revenue.ie

Go to customs and excise

You can do an online search

All the codes are in Taric but you will find out quicker by just ringing some of the Customs nos.....they are helpful and will find the products and codes quicker.

Each product is given a code and this code and tariff duty is listed in Taric.

Google Taric also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 EcoBrats

Get onto www.revenue.ie

Go to customs and excise

You can do an online search

Sounds like a good start to me.

As far as I'm aware there is no import duty on parts coming from the UK or from any other EU countries for that matter.

The only issue with sourcing parts from other EU countries is the VAT.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

how do you reclaim vat you paid on goods in the UK that you use for the business, for example a laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 EcoBrats

how do you reclaim vat you paid on goods in the UK that you use for the business, for example a laptop?

Firstly, you can only reclaim VAT if you are VAT registered.

Secondly, assuming you are VAT registered, there is no easy way of claiming UK rate VAT back.

If you were VAT registered in Ireland when you bought the laptop, the fact is that you should not have been charged VAT. To this end you can contact the company that you bought it from and if you give them your VAT registration number they should either refund the money to you or if you regularly order from them, deduct the money from your next bill.

If you are not registered for VAT or you purchased the laptop before the date of your registration you are not entitled to claim the VAT back.

The the above approach fails, I believe they may be some way of getting the VAT back by going through the Inland Revenue in the UK but I couldn't tell you how.

I am not an accountant myself and have only been in business a short while but I'm passing on the information above as it is something that I have had first-hand experience of (I ended up paying UK rate VAT on some purchases as my VAT number had not been issued but subsequently my VAT registration was back-dated).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

thanks Eco, must give the company a call (apple)

• Advertisement
Advertisement