Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

arrg, RTE Radio 1

• 15-01-2009 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

It's about time we had a pop of Radio 1.

I've been listen to Drivetime a lot lately as Hooky has been getting on my wick.

I cannot warm to Mary Wilson at all. The show is not the same since Rachel English left.

Anyways, one thing I noticed about Mary is that if she is covering a topic that she doesn't know a lot about (or has not been fully briefed on) she tends to ask the interviewee the same question 5 times.

Instead of developing the topic or using a follow on question from some of the answers given, it's like she shuts down...and just words the initial question differently a few times.

Also, did the news reader Susan Jackson always have the accent? I'm pretty sure when she was on 2FM reading news, she didn't sound like she had marbles in her mouth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Valid points there Michael.

Mary W tends to go "staccato"when she is uncomfortable in the interview.
    She seems to have a card with questions on it and irrespective of the response to the previous question goes on to the next.

I cannot remember Susan as anything but plummy,she's probably from Artane!!

Collins is the one guy who annoys me on R1, now I know a lot of people like him,and it's not personal, but jaysus, same sig,same patter,mostly the same music and tone of voice all the time.

John Murray on the business on Sunday mornings is now one hour....can't sustain it and falls between gentle ribbing and a semi serious show,needs to go one way or the other, and Murrays Dub accent gets grating after about 20 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some time ago the Mary Wilson effect was up for discussion and I think someone said "as cold as a witches tit". Harsh but true I can't listen to her. Not that I was a fan of Rachel 'I'm a girlie and know nothing of sport' English. Hense The Last Word has always had first dibs on my radio.

Rachael was very big into hurling Mike and was always a sports person.

You are doing her an injustice there.

Maybe it was football (soccer) then. I deffo remember one summer evening while I was driving home she basicly said "Oh I dont know anything about that giggles" It may have been during the Euros or World cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

'FANTASTIC' he is starting to annoy me alot now, and as for Brenda o' Donoughe the less said the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

An attack thread on Radio 1, and it took six posts to get to Mooney.

Some sort of record? :D

(of course I'm in the "arrg" category on this one!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Collins is the one guy who annoys me on R1, now I know a lot of people like him,and it's not personal, but jaysus, same sig,same patter,mostly the same music and tone of voice all the time.

What ???????????????

The ONE guy !!!

What about Joe / Jimmy / Feargal / Derek / Fatt Boy / Cahill etc etc

Easier to say who does NOT annoy you.

Can't agree on John Murray -excellent and underused broadcaster - also Susan Jackson lovely understated radio voice.

Unlike Ms Donoghue and that snippy bint Fiona Looney...save us :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Radio 1 is my first port of call but it is very annoying. Valid points re Drivetime, though I prefer Mary W to schoolmarm Rachel. But at least Rachel found guests who are experts in their field and weren't simply hauled in from the RTE canteen. For instance, one evening recently, Mary persisted in flagging up some 'and finally' piece of fluff - something about a royalties court battle between the members of a Sixties pop group: basically an excuse to recall their greatest hits, recycle a few tales about groupies, throwing televisions out of hotel bedroms, etc. I was driving across the country, and found myself turning up the radio when it finally came on: only to hear Cormac Battle regurgitate a few dry facts and figures he'd tracked down on wikipedia. Really lame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fm 1

<SNIP>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

fm 1 wrote: »
    <SNIP>

Do you work for Life Fm, cause all your posts are plugs for the station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well spotted. User banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I love Radio 1. I always listen to it at home, and I agree that John Murray is a very capable and somewhat underused presenter. I much prefer Morning Ireland when he is on. Like the OP I dont like Mary Wilson at all. Despite the ridiculous accent, Keelin Shanley is so much better, when she's filling in for Mary.

My other minor gripe with Radio 1 is Darren Frehill, the sports guy on Morning Ireland. Whenever he is doing one of his 30 second interviews regarding a past or future match/sporting event, he asks the most ridiculous questions. Like this morning he asked some rugby guy "So do you thing Sale will put up a fight?" Of course they will Darren!!! Asking a question like that is just patronising! And he always finishes off an interview with the most ridiculous phrase "Very finally and very briefly"...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Nightwish wrote: »
    My other minor gripe with Radio 1 is Darren Frehill, the sports guy on Morning Ireland. Whenever he is doing one of his 30 second interviews regarding a past or future match/sporting event, he asks the most ridiculous questions. Like this morning he asked some rugby guy "So do you thing Sale will put up a fight?" Of course they will Darren!!! Asking a question like that is just patronising! And he always finishes off an interview with the most ridiculous phrase "Very finally and very briefly"...:confused:
    Not to mention his luvvie rendition of "maaaannny thanks!!!" when ever he is introduced at the start of the bulletin.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

First we take Montrose. Then we take Berlin. Hasn't there been a lot (I counted 4) of Jewish interest stories over the last 10 days?

Back to OP- Fanning. Fanning? Let him off. Away! (and thanks for all the relevance in the 70's to mid 80's). He should have been shopped out to a national commercial 20 year ago.

R1 should be schooling talents and shows in the evenings. For an e.g. I give The Panel. A show now broadcast on RTE1 after coming in from RTE2. This format (although successful in Oz) should have earned its stripes on radio. There are far too many clueless goons popping up on the gogglebox that really should have had their flying hours stamped on the radio first. It deprives radio of break through entertainment and foists ill equiped numpties onto the box. Radio is is still a useful tool for sharpening talents. A tool that RTE decide not to utilise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I liked Drivetime when Rachel English was presenting. I thought she was great standing in for Marian Finucane during the summer as well. Mary Wilson seems a bit lightweight or something.

humberklog wrote: »
    First we take Montrose. Then we take Berlin. Hasn't there been a lot (I counted 4) of Jewish interest stories over the last 10 days?

Back to OP- Fanning. Fanning? Let him off. Away! (and thanks for all the relevance in the 70's to mid 80's). He should have been shopped out to a national commercial 20 year ago.

R1 should be schooling talents and shows in the evenings. For an e.g. I give The Panel. A show now broadcast on RTE1 after coming in from RTE2. This format (although successful in Oz) should have earned its stripes on radio. There are far too many clueless goons popping up on the gogglebox that really should have had their flying hours stamped on the radio first. It deprives radio of break through entertainment and foists ill equiped numpties onto the box. Radio is is still a useful tool for sharpening talents. A tool that RTE decide not to utilise.

Damn right!

You had that interview Mooney had on The Mooney Show,the Austrian geezer, you had Dunphy interviewing a dude today from Czech republic.
    Several other inserts .. when was Israel established.. 1948- 2008

60 years:confused::confused:

Might have sommat to do with it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Damn right!

You had that interview Mooney had on The Mooney Show,the Austrian geezer, you had Dunphy interviewing a dude today from Czech republic.
    Several other inserts .. when was Israel established.. 1948- 2008

60 years:confused::confused:
    Celebrations were last year though. Although I blow from the same Shofar as the guests it did strike me as a lot. None of the guests had anything to do with the latest Israeli/Gazan kerfuffle and did have legitimate reasons for being on the shows and they did impart interesting stories. (I am biased though). but it did strike me as unusually high numbers. Kenny too had a line going with one and I think it could have been the arts show as well. Ding, ding, ding, ding. You wait for one indepth interview with a Jewish person and 4 come along at (nearly) once.

I heard Morning Ireland this morning for about 25 mins. In that space of time they plugged their coverage of Obama's inauguration 3 times!

Now I'm not talking about "tune in later for more coverage" but they gave the start times of radio, TV and web coverage.

Give it a break, I heard you the first time!

In other news, it was good to hear Rachel English on Drivetime yesterday.

Obama will be impossible to escape for a while.

As for the Jewish angle I think its a confluence of events - Gaza, The Reader and a TV memoir by survivor Tomi Reichental who lives here having been broadcast

I understand that, but it was the long winded plugging of their coverage is what got on my wick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

I really enjoyed hearing Rachel English back on Drive this evening. It reminded me of how good it used to be. I much prefer her style to Mary's. Mary can be a bit cold at times.

Yes Rachael is a much more engaging personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 54321

I'll fourth, fifth, and sixth that opinion. It was great to hear Rachel English back on Drivetime.

Newstalk should hire her.

Now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

She wouldn't join a sinking ship im sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Why did she leave Drivetime in the first place? Did she just get tired of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Official line "pursuing other interests". Real reason, haven't a clue.

Has anyone else noticed the amount of ads on Radio 1 at the moment that are out of phase?

Every second ad at the moment sounds like it's playing from the bottom of a bucket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Mary Wilson is not as good as Rachel English at all.
    I think Miriam O'Callaghan is doing a great job in Marian Finuncanes place on Saturday, particularly loved the interview with Colm O'Gorman and his partner last weekend.
    Marians mannerisms are so annoying!

Advertisement