Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Arrogance of Letting Agents

Options
  • 15-01-2009 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

As a letting agent myself I am absolutely disgusted with the attitude that some letting agents are taking towards renting property. My lease is up at the end of this month and being that there are a lot of properties out there with rapidly falling prices I thought id look around.

I really cant believe the amount of letting agents who simply wont reply to my emails or take my calls. They seem to be still under the illusion that there is no problem renting a property and ignoring the rapidly falling prices of other properties in the area. Some seem to still think they can demand whatever price they want for their property, ive seen apartments advertised at €1450 per month next to others in the same block still advertising after quite a while at €1100!

The reason im posting this is because i just encountered the absolute worst of them all last night. I called about an apartment in the block im living in which was a bit cheaper than the apartment im renting. I wanted to arrange a viewing. This agent demanded that I fax through landlord and work references before I even looked at the apartment. I tried to explain that I just wanted to have a viewing, that it is not necessary for him to have my references which in actuality are quite personal, before I knew if I wanted to take it. "Can I just arrange a viewing?" his answer? a forceful "NO" and silence. After recovering from the shock of his rudeness I just said "Ok so" and hung up. I wonder if the landlord he is letting the apartment for realises just how unprofessional and rude he is behaving towards potential tenants?

This kind of behaviour just staggers me because obviously letting agents had no trouble getting rid of an apartment before but they seem to be unable to realise the enormity of the situation going on all around them. It doesnt seem to occur to them that they have to actually be good at their jobs now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

dirtydress wrote: »
    As a letting agent myself I am absolutely disgusted with the attitude that some letting agents are taking towards renting property. My lease is up at the end of this month and being that there are a lot of properties out there with rapidly falling prices I thought id look around.

I really cant believe the amount of letting agents who simply wont reply to my emails or take my calls. They seem to be still under the illusion that there is no problem renting a property and ignoring the rapidly falling prices of other properties in the area. Some seem to still think they can demand whatever price they want for their property, ive seen apartments advertised at €1450 per month next to others in the same block still advertising after quite a while at €1100!

The reason im posting this is because i just encountered the absolute worst of them all last night. I called about an apartment in the block im living in which was a bit cheaper than the apartment im renting. I wanted to arrange a viewing. This agent demanded that I fax through landlord and work references before I even looked at the apartment. I tried to explain that I just wanted to have a viewing, that it is not necessary for him to have my references which in actuality are quite personal, before I knew if I wanted to take it. "Can I just arrange a viewing?" his answer? a forceful "NO" and silence. After recovering from the shock of his rudeness I just said "Ok so" and hung up. I wonder if the landlord he is letting the apartment for realises just how unprofessional and rude he is behaving towards potential tenants?

This kind of behaviour just staggers me because obviously letting agents had no trouble getting rid of an apartment before but they seem to be unable to realise the enormity of the situation going on all around them. It doesnt seem to occur to them that they have to actually be good at their jobs now.

I've just gone through the whole finding a new place over the last few weeks. I'm signing the lease at the letting agents tonight :)

Have to say, only viewed two places and they were both with different letting agents. I found them professional & pleasant enough to deal with.

You can tar them all with one brush cos of that fool from last night. Sure you're one yourself and you seem alright! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Never said all, just some and ive viewed a lot of places over the past few weeks trying to see what's out there and a lot of agents ive contacted seem to have this attitude. Not all, but there are far too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I agree that a lot of letting agents are still operating like it's 2006. I've been looking for a place for a while and I've met a couple of landlords who have said that most agents are crazy if they think they are going to let apartments at current prices.

Just look at daft. There's lots of places that have been on that website for weeks. They could easily lose 1-2 months rent waiting for someone to agree to their prices. How about bringing down the prices and getting people in quickly? :confused:

I do also hate the list of demands some ask when enquiring about a viewing. They want my life history so i can get a viewing. Nightmare!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Well you certainly wouldn't be getting into my home without a background check and references. All these unoccupied homes are a burglars wet dream. And what does "I'm just viewing" mean? Just popping in to see how the place next door is decorated? Having a look at the competition? Do you seriously expect someone to waste their time and effort just so you can have a nose around? Because thats the impression you're giving by refusing to give details and saying you want to have a look first, I'm surprised you can't see that what with you being an agent yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Searlait

20goto10 wrote: »
    Well you certainly wouldn't be getting into my home without a background check and references. All these unoccupied homes are a burglars wet dream. And what does "I'm just viewing" mean? Just popping in to see how the place next door is decorated? Having a look at the competition? Do you seriously expect someone to waste their time and effort just so you can have a nose around? Because thats the impression you're giving by refusing to give details and saying you want to have a look first, I'm surprised you can't see that what with you being an agent yourself.

You wouldn't happen to be that same agent would you!! I'd agree with the OP, I wouldn't be too keen to be sending my references around prior to a viewing, I've always found in the past that its only when you've agreed to rent a place that references come into it. And yeah, I'm having similar experiences at the moment, agents couldn't care less that we're trying to give them business - is there something we don't know about!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sounds like a business opportunity for you if you're an agent yourself - poach his business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

was looking for a place around xmas as our letting agency decidd to up the rent?!? the amount of times we'd arrive at a place after confirming times etc only to have a no show from the agent and phone going straight to voicemail!!!!! A few we delth with were fine but a lot of the younger agents seem to be taking the piss completly.

Ended up staying where we were after asking them for a reference since we we decided to move and they finnally agreed to reduce the price - couldnt really argue too much as they were charging below market price before the increase for similar apartments.

on a side note 2 ads for the same apartment in my building - one by the letting agency/managment company and another by an outside agency - €200 difference - was such a joke as they were posted the same day with the exact same ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Hehe, just had a look through daft.

One place we would have taken at 1400 a good few months back but they wouldnt drop the price, its still there. At guess what. 1400.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Jumpy wrote: »
    Hehe, just had a look through daft.

One place we would have taken at 1400 a good few months back but they wouldnt drop the price, its still there. At guess what. 1400.

Sure, of course. Why should anyone be expected to rent out their place for less than it is worth?

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. Nothing gives me a greater feeling of schadenfreude than watching these muppets lose thousands every month because they refuse to drop the price by a hundred or two.

Oh, and the guy in this thread who refused to allow people to do viewing unless they hand over personal details? About time you got real, dude.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

In all my time house-hunting, I've never been asked for references to view and house and my response would have been exactly like the OP: I'm not wasting my time. References do not tell you that I'm there to case the place for a robbery, they do not tell you I'm there to examine how the place is decorated and since I'll be there with an agent anyway, how am I going to rob the place?

• Advertisement

Searlait wrote: »
    You wouldn't happen to be that same agent would you!! I'd agree with the OP, I wouldn't be too keen to be sending my references around prior to a viewing, I've always found in the past that its only when you've agreed to rent a place that references come into it. And yeah, I'm having similar experiences at the moment, agents couldn't care less that we're trying to give them business - is there something we don't know about!!
    No I'm not an agent. I have had experience renting a place out through an agency though and it did worry me what kind of people were coming and going and even more so what sort of person was going to end up renting. The agency was very strict on background checks and it did put me at ease.

I went with a different agency prior to that. She was all about the tenants rights and didn't seem to care it was my home she was talking about. Anyways, I switched agencies quick enough and it was a lucky escape. It turns out the apt above me got a tenant through her. The tenant was a complete scum bag. Police were called out on a regular basis due to loud music/parties and had been taken away for drunk and disorderly a couple of times. It eventually ended with him being brought away in an ambulance after a heroin overdose!! And this is in a very upmarket apt block. The poor lady who owned the apt could do nothing about it, it's simply too late once they're in. Even after the heroin overdose he was allowed back in and had to be given 2 weeks notice.

So I stand by what I said, if I was renting out again I would instruct my letting agent to be very strict on who he lets view my home and even stricter on who he rents it to. For some landlords, their home is more important than money. Maybe the agent the OP was talking to was under similar orders by the landlord.

No I'm not an agent. I have had experience renting a place out through an agency though and it did worry me what kind of people were coming and going and even more so what sort of person was going to end up renting. The agency was very strict on background checks and it did put me at ease.

I went with a different agency prior to that. She was all about the tenants rights and didn't seem to care it was my home she was talking about. Anyways, I switched agencies quick enough and it was a lucky escape. It turns out the apt above me got a tenant through her. The tenant was a complete scum bag. Police were called out on a regular basis due to loud music/parties and had been taken away for drunk and disorderly a couple of times. It eventually ended with him being brought away in an ambulance after a heroin overdose!! And this is in a very upmarket apt block. The poor lady who owned the apt could do nothing about it, it's simply too late once they're in. Even after the heroin overdose he was allowed back in and had to be given 2 weeks notice.

So I stand by what I said, if I was renting out again I would instruct my letting agent to be very strict on who he lets view my home and even stricter on who he rents it to. For some landlords, their home is more important than money. Maybe the agent the OP was talking to was under similar orders by the landlord.

That's a wonderful anecdote, but we're not talking about not checking the tenant's background at all. We're talking about demanding background details before they have even viewed the place.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    That's a wonderful anecdote, but we're not talking about not checking the tenant's background at all. We're talking about demanding background details before they have even viewed the place.

P.
    So it shoud be an open house? Anyone who wants can just waltz into your home and have a good old nose, doesn't matter who they are or even if they are seriously interested? The agency I used was able to give me all the information I needed about prospective tenants at the viewing stage. Now I suspect he gets a lot of information by just asking and chatting to them but all the same I would get who they are, where they are from, what they do for a living, where they work, why they are moving, whether they have rented before, where they have rented from, why they want to rent etc etc. Now I don't know if they get any documents at that stage but they certainly gave what I would consider a decent background check at the viewing stage. If he deems you to be unsuitable you won't get your foot in the door. And any agency that does less I would consider unprofessional and I certainly would not do business with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I am stunned by this.

Firstly, it's not your home if it's an investment property. Your viewers will be looking at it as their prospective home. If you look on it as your home, then you are too emotionally attached to the property.

Also, as someone who has been renting for more than 15 years I can tell you there is no way I'll deal with someone who's attaching conditions to my checking out the property that they have on offer. It's not a question of having a nose around - most people don't have the time to waste to go looking at properties they don't want same as you don't have time to waste to show it to people who won't take it. And there are plenty of other properties available at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

So it shoud be an open house? Anyone who wants can just waltz into your home and have a good old nose, doesn't matter who they are or even if they are seriously interested? The agency I used was able to give me all the information I needed about prospective tenants at the viewing stage. Now I suspect he gets a lot of information by just asking and chatting to them but all the same I would get who they are, where they are from, what they do for a living, where they work, why they are moving, whether they have rented before, where they have rented from, why they want to rent etc etc. Now I don't know if they get any documents at that stage but they certainly gave what I would consider a decent background check at the viewing stage. If he deems you to be unsuitable you won't get your foot in the door. And any agency that does less I would consider unprofessional and I certainly would not do business with them.

Its not your home though, its a property that you are letting. If you are that worried about the type of people you get in then its very simple, let the place yourself. Then you can stop who you want at the door. If you're that protective over the property then Im extremely surprised that you're not taking control of this yourself. In all honestly a letting agent is there to get someone in, often they dont mind who it is as long as they have references and lets face it anyone can get those. Or you could get someone with perfect references who destroys the place, you don't have to be a "scum bag" to take drugs or have parties. You take a risk at getting a dissatisfactory tenant when you use an agent thats just how it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Topmail

I have emailed a number of agents over the past few day and I have had only one reply to date. Also i investment property owners look down on people who rent as if they are low class people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

So it shoud be an open house? Anyone who wants can just waltz into your home and have a good old nose, doesn't matter who they are or even if they are seriously interested?

Yes.

You're paying an agent to advertise your property, get the maximum number of interested people and rent it to one of them. If they starting pissing off prospective customers before they get a look, they're limiting the amount of money you can make from that property.

Lets put it more simply. What harm could come from letting all and sundry see inside your (presumably empty) rental property?

Its not your home though, its a property that you are letting. If you are that worried about the type of people you get in then its very simple, let the place yourself. Then you can stop who you want at the door. If you're that protective over the property then Im extremely surprised that you're not taking control of this yourself. In all honestly a letting agent is there to get someone in, often they dont mind who it is as long as they have references and lets face it anyone can get those. Or you could get someone with perfect references who destroys the place, you don't have to be a "scum bag" to take drugs or have parties. You take a risk at getting a dissatisfactory tenant when you use an agent thats just how it is.
    Well as it turns out there were plenty of people willing to divulge the information. As I said, I don't know if he ever got references at that stage but he got plenty of info thats for sure and enough viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Topmail wrote: »
    I have emailed a number of agents over the past few day and I have had only one reply to date. Also i investment property owners look down on people who rent as if they are low class people.

Seriously, you have to ring if your really interested. Emailing can be a waste of time.

I also agreed with the point that asking for references before viewing can turn people off. I've seen apartments for let by certain letting agents with a million conditions attached for a viewing. I never bother with them. There's just too many places on the market to be bothered with sending faxes for every possible viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

agree re if I was looking to rent a place and was asked to send them documents just to view I'd probably not bother with it. The time for that is when they are considering you to move in. i am always warey of giving out copies of important documents to strangers as god only knows what they do with them afterwards.

I can see where the other poster is coming from also as I've been thinking about renting out a place and i would like to know the people coming aren't just snooping but the reality is most people don't have the time for that unless they are neighbours who are aware that you are renting the place out etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 nadin278

There are always people who are unprofessional, and rude in any profession, any job.
    However, what you've experienced recently is an exception in current climate.

I know, as i am a letting agent myself.

It is very difficult time now, and you simply cant ignore potential tenants enquiries, phone calls.

I would advice you - move on, there is so much availalble out there, and so many letting agents, landlords out there, trying to rent their properties, who will be greatful for your phone call, email or text.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

mal1 wrote: »
    Seriously, you have to ring if your really interested. Emailing can be a waste of time.

I also agreed with the point that asking for references before viewing can turn people off. I've seen apartments for let by certain letting agents with a million conditions attached for a viewing. I never bother with them. There's just too many places on the market to be bothered with sending faxes for every possible viewing.

Most estate agents can barely use a computer, look at the crap you get on daft and myhome sometimes. There are a couple of good ones (sherry fitz for example seem to be very clued in, making sure all details are correct and every property has a floor plan, as well as making sure that email communications are listened to, in the dublin area anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

It is not your home. You live in your home, you don't live in your investment house.

You are really typical of so many landlords with that attitude. I'm glad this recession will send you all tenantless and deep into financial misery.

So it shoud be an open house? Anyone who wants can just waltz into your home and have a good old nose, doesn't matter who they are or even if they are seriously interested?

This is frankly bizarre. I used to lease a flat for many years which I sub-let to roomates, and I assumed that anyone who goes to the trouble of arranging a viewing of a flat is actually interested in renting. I presume there isn't a huge amount of people in Dublin who view flats for the mad crack of it or as a bizarre hobby. Your paranoia is not normal.

The last time I went flathunting, we were viewing at least four places a day (we viewed 20 altogether). We simply did not have time to also arrange references prior to these viewings, and anyone who wants one would have just been ignored. I presume most people
    wouldn't bother either, and especially now when rents are plummeting and it's a tenant's market.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I will avoid dealing with estate agents if at all possible. I much rather dealing with the landlord straight up.

Im sure there are some good ones out there but few and far between. Most are just interested in the commission from the landlord.

If you get an estate agent with an attitude just say " Have a nice housing crash!" and then hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No I'm not an agent. I have had experience renting a place out through an agency though and it did worry me what kind of people were coming and going and even more so what sort of person was going to end up renting.
    If you did it yourself, you could have said no to the scumbags. Simple as. A scumbag could get 3 stunning references. From his mates. References mean f**k all.
    Well you certainly wouldn't be getting into my home without a background check and references.
    Any landlord who calls a house he rents his home should be avoided.

=-=

In the last two houses I rented, I gave them references, job reference, etc. No problem. Not when viewing. If they called it "my home", I'd run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

This is exactly what happens when trying to sell a house and nobody has a problem with it. Everybody comes in for a look. Maybe that's why nothing is selling at the moment...it's not lack of lending or ridiculous prices, it's an unwillingness to provide references before a viewing.

In all seriousness, I can understand wanting to ensure that your tenants are decent but you have to consider that people also don't want strangers nosing through their personal details before they've found out if the place is a kip or not.

markpb wrote: »
    Yes.

You're paying an agent to advertise your property, get the maximum number of interested people and rent it to one of them. If they starting pissing off prospective customers before they get a look, they're limiting the amount of money you can make from that property.

Lets put it more simply. What harm could come from letting all and sundry see inside your (presumably empty) rental property?
    Yes I was paying an agent to advertise my property and do viewings but I was also paying him to be very selective about who he allowed view the property and who he rented it to. If you don't like it go somewhere else, no skin off my nose. I'm sure I missed out on a lot of potential tenants. Am I bothered? No.
    the_syco wrote:
    Any landlord who calls a house he rents his home should be avoided.
    This was not an investment. It was my home and still is as I'm back in it now. I didn't want someone wrecking the place and me having to come home and redecorate/repair the place. This was the whole point about being selective. Mayvbe it was OTT, I'm sure most people are honest decent people. But you need some kind of filtering system because you just don't know. btw, you'll find a lot of people in the current climate letting their "homes". Take a look at some of the furniture in the pictures on daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

If you don't like it go somewhere else, no skin off my nose. I'm sure I missed out on a lot of potential tenants. Am I bothered?
    While the Lauren Cooper approach to property letting may have working during the bubble, such a complacent attitude probably isn't advisable now that there is a massive glut of rental properties on the market. I hope you aren't planning to rent your property again soon.
    And what does "I'm just viewing" mean? Just popping in to see how the place next door is decorated? Having a look at the competition? Do you seriously expect someone to waste their time and effort just so you can have a nose around? Because thats the impression you're giving by refusing to give details and saying you want to have a look first
    With so much choice available, there will be many people who are "just viewing" as they weigh up their options. Do you think someone should be obliged to rent a property simply because they have viewed it? During the boom it wasn't unusual for queues of people to arrive at a rental property, only to find that the agent had already let it earlier in the day. Now that we find ourselves in a renters' market, it's no surprise that the nature of viewings has changed. Unfortunately some letting agents and landlords seem to be a little slow to adjust.

Vetting an interested tenant before they move in is a given. However strictly profiling people before they even set foot in the door is going to turn away many potential tenants at a time when they are difficult to find. After all it's probably no skin off their nose, there are plenty of other good properties with reasonable landlords out there.

• Advertisement

While the Lauren Cooper approach to property letting may have working during the bubble, such a complacent attitude probably isn't advisable now that there is a massive glut of rental properties on the market. I hope you aren't planning to rent your property again soon.

With so much choice available, there will be many people who are "just viewing" as they weigh up their options. Do you think someone should be obliged to rent a property simply because they have viewed it? During the boom it wasn't unusual for queues of people to arrive at a rental property, only to find that the agent had already let it earlier in the day. Now that we find ourselves in a renters' market, it's no surprise that the nature of viewings has changed. Unfortunately some letting agents and landlords seem to be a little slow to adjust.

Vetting an interested tenant before they move in is a given. However strictly profiling people before they even set foot in the door is going to turn away many potential tenants at a time when they are difficult to find. After all it's probably no skin off their nose, there are plenty of other good properties with reasonable landlords out there.
    To be honest I don't see what the climate has got to do with it. You think people are going to be desperate and throw all standards out the window? Desperation comes from being uncompetitive. Thats the only question I'd ask myself in the current climate. Am i being competitive? People will know the area and some will know the apt block. If its a good price and its something they are seriously interested in they'll give their details. Otherwise they miss out on something they want. The current climate dictates price, it does not dictate anything else.

Advertisement