Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Arrogance of Letting Agents

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

20goto10 wrote: »
    Am i being competitive? People will know the area and some will know the apt block. If its a good price and its something they are seriously interested in they'll give their details. Otherwise they miss out on something they want. The current climate dictates price, it does not dictate anything else.
    The climate also dictates availability. No one would dispute that there is currently a glut of apartments on the rental market, especially in Dublin. "Good" areas and "upscale" developments are certainly not immune from this. It's more than likely that there will be other similar properties to let in the same development or area, so potential tenants can simply consider the alternatives. There will be no need for them to miss out or lower their standards.

Facilitating potential tenants who might want to view a property is part of being competitive. Price is obviously the primary factor, but quality of life is a key issue too. All things being equal, most people won't want to live in a property owned by an overbearing, unreasonable landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭kanoute696

Hi, just jumping on - Im having huge problems with my letting agent - they rented out a house for me and let the tenants use their deposit as their last months rent without even telling me, I only notice when the rent didnt appear in my account - also, they are paid up for the year but arent making a effort to rent it for the second time?.. can I do anything about this?. I feel helpless. any advice? who can I complain to?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I always wonder about people/places that let people use their deposit as last months rent.

It gives no protection in the sense of unpaid bill or potential damage.

I speak as a renter btw.

Truth is you cant complain to anyone. Estate agents are pretty much unregulated.(Anyone who mentions IAVI will be shot)

Have you rang the agent and asked them?
    What are you paying the agent?
    Stop paying them and find a different agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dandelion

kanoute696 wrote: »
    Hi, just jumping on - Im having huge problems with my letting agent - they rented out a house for me and let the tenants use their deposit as their last months rent without even telling me, I only notice when the rent didnt appear in my account - also, they are paid up for the year but arent making a effort to rent it for the second time?.. can I do anything about this?. I feel helpless. any advice? who can I complain to?.

Was it just a letting or did the agents manage the property and charge you a management fee?

How do you mean then "let the tenant use their deposit..." How were they supposed to stop them ? Presumably they didn't know until you told them and you " only notice when the rent didn't appear in your account..."

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

Never had any experience of renting before the past 6 months when we had to move out of our home due to a flood, if my experience is anything to go by with the bunch of muppets of an agents that I had to deal with, never again :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement