Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which religion do you follow if any:)

Options
  • 15-01-2009 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Hey all im not trying to convert or anything as im not a very religious person
    im just wondering to what religion are you a follower and is there another religion that intrigues you:D:Dbiggrin.gif

seen as i asked the question i find it only fair i answer haha

i was brought up catholic but im not a strict follower anymore
    im not atheist i just do my own thing religion as whole fascinates me
    especially Buddhism and Taoism

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

A very wide question, musicman.
    What do you make of Buddhism and Taoism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I am a follower of Christianity, and I am intrigued by Judaism, and Islam, the other two Abrahamic religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Jakkass wrote: »
    I am a follower of Christianity, and I am intrigued by Judaism, and Islam, the other two Abrahamic religions.

The other two Main abrahamic religions it should be noted. Abrahamic religions is a term that encompasses nearly half of the worlds religious following. Bahai and Rastafarians count as falling into this group.

I don't have an extensive knowledge of the teachings of the Baha Ullah or the Rastafari religion however I would be interested in reading them some day. Sikhism could also be considered a bridging point between Abrahamic and Dharmic.

Jakkass wrote: »
    I don't have an extensive knowledge of the teachings of the Baha Ullah or the Rastafari religion however I would be interested in reading them some day. Sikhism could also be considered a bridging point between Abrahamic and Dharmic.

Its a very broad term,often given to the main three. The smaller lesser known ones count. The google tells me samaritans also fall under this classification. I'm the same,don't know much,but I'm sure with a little time on my hands it'd be an interesting read. I just know the bahai are persian. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Oooh I'm not sure. I was brought up Catholic but I certainly am open to many other spiritual beliefs. I did a cool quiz recently which resulted that I am a ''Neo-Pagan''. I suppose it is quite accurate but again, I'm not 100% sure.

I'll try find that quiz and post it here if anyone's interested. It's a bit of fun sure ;)

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Oooh I'm not sure. I was brought up Catholic but I certainly am open to many other spiritual beliefs. I did a cool quiz recently which resulted that I am a ''Neo-Pagan''. I suppose it is quite accurate but again, I'm not 100% sure.

I'll try find that quiz and post it here if anyone's interested. It's a bit of fun sure ;)

I think that thread is just a few below this one,titled the Beliefomatic. Still waiting to do the test :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Nerin wrote: »
    I think that thread is just a few below this one,titled the Beliefomatic. Still waiting to do the test :)

Aaaaah I was beaten to it :o

Well, go do the test, go on, g'wan:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ttilting

Hi there,

I too was raised a catholic, but what I was meant to believe in was ridiculous. (in my view!)

About 2 years ago, I set out to study every religion in the world (to some degree!) It was a very interesting journey . . . My main finding was that many people are so desperate to have a path to follow....they will believe just about anything!
    Many others see their religion more as a tradition that forms their identity than an actually belief system.

Out of the many religions I ''studied''....
    The only ones that made it close to the short list were,

Buddhism

The Bahá'í Faith

and Unitarianism. . . .

I am now a ''practicing'' Unitarian. . . Many would argue that it's not actually a religion.

Without sidetracking, how were Buddhism, Unitarianism, and the Baha'i faith more representative of the truth or any less ridiculous than Christianity was? I'm merely curious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

ttilting wrote: »

I believe that is what a religion should aim to do.
    Indeed I believe that was what Jesus (a great man) was trying to encourage us all to do just that!

I agree with this. I think the teachings of Jesus have been mis-represented throughout the years. The original ethos has been obscured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

hiorta wrote: »
    A very wide question, musicman.
    What do you make of Buddhism and Taoism?

i just like there belief systems with the Buddhists theres just no pressure
    and with taoism theres not set beliefs!!!

i often wonder is it possible that the catholic church is the worlds biggest money making scam taught of by some broke carpenter looking for an easy buck then i think even if thats the case with so many people believing does it really matter!!!!and if there was a god which ever god is right why on earth would he allow so many wars over religion???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

Aye, there has been desperate theological pressures, forced 'teaching' of the young, indoctrination galore, murder, torture and genocide - all to promote the unsubstantiated 'word of a god'.
    Is does seem that spirituality arises from within, cannot be forced and is automatically 'right' for the individual at any given time, so those 'religions' yu mention would help to achieve this.
    BTW - and I hope I'm not going off-topic - this site might illuminate or at least, inform:

http://www.thelostbooks.com/intro.htm

hiorta: Yes, and that would be the corruption of man that has corrupted all ideologies from the very start. Christianity from it's source text doesn't encourage said treatment over Biblical scriptures just as much as many atheists would encourage the treatment that Stalin put on Soviet Russia.

Right, if spirituality rises from within, how can we possibly know the nature of God unless we consult other divine revelations that have occurred in the past. That's essentially what the Bible is, a collection of divine revelation and divine guidelines on how to live ones life.

These "lost books" of the Bible are not in the right dating bracket to be considered as authentic. The texts in the current Bible are dated to be written in the 1st century AD at the latest, the same century in which Jesus had died. These "lost books" range from the 3rd century till about the 16th century AD (if we are to consider the Gospel of Barnabas hoax).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

hiorta wrote: »
    Aye, there has been desperate theological pressures, forced 'teaching' of the young, indoctrination galore, murder, torture and genocide - all to promote the unsubstantiated 'word of a god'.
    Is does seem that spirituality arises from within, cannot be forced and is automatically 'right' for the individual at any given time, so those 'religions' yu mention would help to achieve this.
    BTW - and I hope I'm not going off-topic - this site might illuminate or at least, inform:

http://www.thelostbooks.com/intro.htm
    yes it is very interesting the church did a lot of strange things-i know some of the books needed to be taken out -like the one that has jesus flying through the air -one of the things they took out was jesus full name -in those days people did not have surnames so jesus would have been called jesus son of joseph of cause this would not help the church promote the virgin birth-the other area was the down grading of role of woman in the church-we do know that jesus told the disciples to go out and teach[including mary magdalene ] at this time it was called the jesus movement.the church would not except that the female should teach -from the start they tried to smeer her name by connecting her with the bible prositute in about 1600 ad . it was admitted a few years ago by the pope it wasent the same person-her name is very interesting ,at that time magdalene was not a name but it is now believed she was called after a small fishing village just found called magdala .it may be she had no family--any way back to the thread ,a religion how about shinto

Lads,the question and topic in this thread is what religion do you follow,and which do you find interesting. If you want to debate one over another,feel free to start another thread on this forum.

Edit-yes,shinto is extremely interesting :)

*posts discussing christianity and other religions moved to a new thread here to keep this thread on topic.

Lads,the question and topic in this thread is what religion do you follow,and which do you find interesting. If you want to debate one over another,feel free to start another thread on this forum.

Edit-yes,shinto is extremely interesting :)
    noted! apologies!

I sometimes forget that for many, they want a religion that is 'cool' or 'interesting' as apposed to an organisation seeking the truth!

For a really interesting yet ((off the wall -in my view-)) I suggest you look to into catholicism & Scientology both are quite similar in many ways when you study them, although obviously they are at different stages of their ''evolution''.

noted! apologies!

I sometimes forget that for many, they want a religion that is 'cool' or 'interesting' as apposed to an organisation seeking the truth!

For a really interesting yet ((off the wall -in my view-)) I suggest you to into catholicism & Scientology both are quite similar in many ways when you study them, although obviously they are at different stages of their ''evolution''.

I don't think scientology is recognised here,as of yet. Correct me if I'm wrong. It is counted in america i think.

I don't think scientology is recognised here,as of yet. Correct me if I'm wrong. It is counted in america i think.

Scientology Is a religion just as much as Catholicism. (Both are equally crazy In My View!)

What Is your doubt? . . . By what classification are you referring to it being counted?

Oh BTW Jakkass, I read your reply in full befor it was deleted and relpied to you by PM.

Kind Regards
    Ian

Scientology Is a religion just as much as Catholicism. (Both are equally crazy In My View!)

What Is your doubt? . . . By what classification are you referring to it being counted?

Oh BTW Jakkass, I read your reply in full befor it was deleted and relpied to you by PM.

Kind Regards
    Ian

Well many european governments don't recognise it as a religion. Spain does,france doesn't etc.

• Advertisement

Well many european governments don't recognise it as a religion. Spain does,france doesn't etc.

Whats a governments classification got to do with anything! ! !

And whats their position on -- shinto -- ! ! ! ..... if catholicism was not recognised by spain or France in the morning, would that mean that WE ! would not be allowed to discuss it?

Talk about Going Off Topic! ! ! LOL

Whats a governments classification got to do with anything! ! !

And whats their position on -- shinto -- ! ! ! ..... if catholicism was not recognised by spain or France in the morning, would that mean that WE ! would not be allowed to discuss it?

Talk about Going Off Topic! ! ! LOL

Well i find scientology interesting,and i think the religious classification aspect is to do with tax status moreso than anything else.

As for shinto,its fairly well recognised, scientologys problem appears in the fact its not as old as other religions,and has some serious claims made for and against it.

As for being off topic,i fail to see it,but i do see a confusing shift in your attitude? Take it to pm if you have a problem.

As for being off topic,i fail to see it,but i do see a confusing shift in your attitude? Take it to pm if you have a problem.

No shift In attitude! . . .

you delete an interesting well though out post by Jacckkass, discussing the legitimacy of Christianity.

You then start to criticise the legitimacy(/classification) of another religion ! . . . You don't see the irony no?

Anyway your right, the PM function is there for a reason!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Please do keep this thread on topic, and I would like to remind anyone if they have an issue with the moderation of a thread to PM either myself or Nerin.

Thanks,
    Steve

haha typical with asking about religion wars have started your not getting what im asking my thinks:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭Armada

I was raised Christian, i still am Christian and I will have a Christian wedding soon.

however since I was about 9 or 10 I began to question much of what I was being told. I am now at the stage where I believe alot of the original teachings of Jesus are, at their core, the same or similar as those of Buddha, Allah etc etc.

in my view, organised religion is a problem in itself. Separating people whether by border or belief is not the way forward, Jesus wanted us to love everyone, not just those who believed the same thing we did, or who attended a particular building at certain times of the week.

I think everything we need to know can be found within oneself, so whatever religion that is I guess that's me :)
    New Age perhaps but that isn't a religion, more of a life style or movement.
    (Sorry for rambling)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Peace and love is my religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

I follow scientology , so I believe in absolutely nothing.

shinto isn't really my cup of tea but theres a newish religion in vietnam think its called cao dai well worth a read i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

I've been raised as a catholic but I found Sikhism. Sikhism makes me a better person...

Advertisement