Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speedlite 430EX query

• 15-01-2009 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a 450EX which I bought last year. I've never really got the grips of how to get the best out of it. (too lazy to read the manual!!!!)

A friend is getting married soon and asked if I could take some indoor shots. I normally use it with P or portrait mode. I've tried using AV mode but it's too slow, without a tripod.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the Wide Panel is or the High Speed Synch?

Anyone got any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

chewed wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips?

RTFM ?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭john1963

use your camera manually. set it to f8 and 1/60 second for the indoor shots. the flash will do most of the work and it will allow ambiant light. that white piece is a wide angle diffuser so forget it for wedding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

There are plenty of articles and tutorials out there on how to shoot with a flash.

Here's a great introduction - even compares <P> with <Av>!

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=106

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

chewed wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the purpose of the Wide Panel is or the High Speed Synch?

The wide panel increases the spread of the light. For example, if you set your zoom setting to 70 or 105mm you get a very narrow beam of light, compared to when it's set to 24mm (or 14mm with the wide panel down) which will spread the light out over a larger area.

Hi speed sync allows the flash to sync to any shutter speed. For example, most flashes sync to 1/250th of a second by default, by enabling Hi speed sync your flash will sync to faster shutter speeds (e.g. 1/500th or 1/1000th of a second). It does this by firing multiple flashes as the shutter opening travels across the length of the sensor. Not really useful in your situation to be honest.

You should always be in manual mode on your camera when using flash in my opinion. Dial in longer shutter speeds to allow more ambient light, don't worry too much about camera shake, as the flash exposure will take care of freezing your subject in time, the same as if you used a fast shutter speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭chewed

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll take these with me and practise over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

There is really good thread on Canon Flash units in the FAQ sticky, that has also a link to excellent and exhausting article. It is worth reading, because it explains why and how the flash logic works.

Advertisement