Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading in up north.

Options
  • 15-01-2009 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a car up north and am hitting stone walls with a trade in. I cn not looking for a lot and was wondering if anyone has managed to trade in with a dealer? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I know people who have traded up North with Hurst, but they are having trouble selling cars too, so it would depend on what you have and if they want it. As with any trade in you won't like the valuation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

You should check the dealer price up north for your car, then reduce that by a third, thats about the max you can expect trading it in there. Dealers have hassle in getting the southern car MOT'd, reregistered and the fact that the car was non uk might put buyer off. You should sell it private down here instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I thought they'd just ship them off cheap down here again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

depends on the car really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

They'd need to find a trader in ROI who wants the car, and wants to increase their stock by another unit.

You're as well off to sell privately here rather than go to NI, trade in to a dealer there who then ships the car back down to sell it to a trader here. Take out the middle men and keep more money for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

What kind of car is it OP?

Advertisement