Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens advice for the Sony A200

• 15-01-2009 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭

Thinking of getting a Sony A200 to take photos of my fast moving two year old son. Will the kit lens be up for the job or do I need a separate wide aperture len ? If I need to get a lens could some recommend a cheapish one (around 100 euros) so that I don’t need to use a flash?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

If you want a new lens then €100 wont be enough, I use a sigma 30mm F1.4 for the situations you refer to, costs about €350 though,

You might be able to pick up an older minolta lens second hand off ebay inside your budget, but I dont konw enough about the range to advise you, I'm sure somebody will be along soon that can though, or check out the sony forum on DPreview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I don't know a lot about lens but would a 50mm lens not do the job? There are a few 50mm Minolta lens' on ebay that will fit both your camera and budget. Make sure you only buy Minolta Dynax/Maxxum lens as only these are designed for digital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

jaqian wrote: »
    I don't know a lot about lens but would a 50mm lens not do the job? There are a few 50mm Minolta lens' on ebay that will fit both your camera and budget. Make sure you only buy Minolta Dynax/Maxxum lens as only these are designed for digital.

You don't really have to worry about that part too much to be honest as the none dynax/maxxum lenses will work just fine as well but you will however get a different focal length(?) on the lens due to the fact that your camera does not have a full frame sensor.

This would mean that a 50mm lens would end up technically being a 70mm (or there abouts) lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

I think the kit lens will be fine. I had an alpha100 for a while and its quite similar to A200 and I got great use out of the kit lens. I'd recommend going with the kit lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

JanneG wrote: »
    This would mean that a 50mm lens would end up technically being a 70mm (or there abouts) lens.

What lens would you need then to get that would be similar to 50mm on the APS-C sensor (A100)?

Cheers,
    Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The minolta 50 f1.7 is the one you want. Good cheap lens with excellent optical quailties for its price. Only bout 80 euro second hand less if your lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I use the SonyA200 myself. You can either get the camera with the standard lens, or with an extra telephoto lens.

Since u mainly want to use it for clicking away ur kiddie, I don't think u need the extra lens, as the camera has several features that will let you make decent enough photo's.

With the "S" function on the camera, it just snaps away @ 3 shots a second whilst it detects the settings automatticaly. Not all of them will be good quality but I'd say out of every 4 or 5 there is a good one.

And if you want to put in the shutter speed & aperture yourself, you can do so, and I find that I takes very good portrait photo's on the aperture priority setting...

So, no extra lens needed is my advice, just test out the camera first and, if neccessary, you can always get the lens later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated.

Advertisement