Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diving on moorings

Options
  • 15-01-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how often people get divers down to clean and check their moorings. I've heard every year but decided against it as I clean the first swivel and as much rope as possible at low tide every few weeks.

The mooring will be down two years in April so I was sending a diver down then. Too soon? Too late?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

What is the mooring made of? is it a steel shackle bolted to concrete?, galvanised or just painted, might be no harm to get some one to check it now after a year to see how its doing and judge when it might need checking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Its got 1 metre of ships anchor chain sunken ionto a block of concrete with 18mm Poly prop spliced onto the last link. A stainless swivel another metre up the riser with a final stainless swivel 1 metre from the bouy. It should see me out but its just the weight of growth further down the riser and that first swivel I'd be worried about. I can get to moth of the growth from topside at low tide but there would still be 3 metres of rope I can't get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

would be no harm in getting checked,better than the boat breaking away and hitting another few on it's way to the rocks ;(

have a number for a guy in crosshaven that put a mooring down for me in aghada, if you want it.

do a bit of diving myself as well, but would rather let a guy that knows how solid a mooring is.....just in case !!

scuby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

That would be great Scuby, can you PM me the number. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

for wexford harbour every two years thye should be checked replaced. Mine is three years and I cannot moor on it this year as the rope is frayed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement