Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some effects of the recession in Limerick

Options
  • 15-01-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

some effects of the recession Ive noticed myself locally (apart from the obvouis ones like shops closing down, redundancies and half built & abandoned developments etc) include;
    less helicoptors flying around the place!
    less new reg cars, Ive only seen two 09 cars so far this year in Limerick, both small cars, compared to last year, loads of new Mercs and 4X4 driving around.
    More cyclists (not excercising/racing, but people using them to get from A to B) on the road.
    Any others?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Brawn and pigs toes making a comeback :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I don't see as many people collecting for charity, no point looking for money that doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Gyms seem to be less busy, dont have to wait to use machines

People eating out less

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I don't see as many people collecting for charity, no point looking for money that doesn't exist.

I've done charity collections. Now would probably be a good time to collect as those most likely to give are those least able to afford it.

We've got a 09 car on our road, didn't gain any 08s last year though. I've seen loads, though only 1 or 2 Mercs, but loads of Audis and no Beemers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I saw figures for the number of new cars being sold in the first 10 days of the new year and the high end brands have been hit hard.

They were something like this:

Mercedes - 1005 last year to 150 this year
    Landrover - 199 cars last year to 9 this year
    Saab - 139 cars last year to 5 this year
    Porche - 12 cars last year to just 1 this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    Gyms seem to be less busy, dont have to wait to use machines

This because people have no money to buy food and therefore keep fitter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

More people walking their kids to school - there was hardly any traffic down by the Salesians this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Very cheap rates on hotels! this recession will put manners on a lot of em' I'll tell you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

More beggars lying around the footpaths in town...

(let's not turn this into a thread about beggars please!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Less traffic in the mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

don`t have to queue when you go to the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Prostitutes ask for less money, but rip you off more by stealing your wallet when you are not looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

There actually being loads of choice for student accomodation around UL as a lot of Limerick students are choosing to live at home and commute instead.

Massive drop in the prices of horses and dogs. I bought a couple of horses recently for about 60% less than I would have paid for similar bred horses last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

I was in town on monday and the place was dead. There was hardly anyone around shopping.

Pubs are a bit quieter.

I'd say once Dell start laying people off you'll see a big difference in the numbers of people out and about. I'd say there'll be a lot of boarded up shops in town in the next while. It's going to look depressing.

Although one upside is less people in their cars and more people cycling. Maybe the council will actually provide some decent cycing infrastructure in light of this.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

ninty9er wrote: »
    I've done charity collections. Now would probably be a good time to collect as those most likely to give are those least able to afford it.

Thats a lovely way to look at it: put the guilt trip on people who are already broke so they can hand out some cash that would be better spent on themselves.

The Saint wrote: »
    I'd say there'll be a lot of boarded up shops in town in the next while. It's going to look depressing.

Kinda like Patrick and Ellen Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

In fairness always I thought it's common knowledge that people who have less tend to give easier then people who have a lot. Those "rich" tend to be more tightfisted towards charity donations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

In fairness always I thought it's common knowledge that people who have less tend to give easier then people who have a lot. Those "rich" tend to be more tightfisted towards charity donations.

I'm all for charity when its done properly (not 10c of the euro I've given actually getting to the country its supposed to help). Its really because of chuggers that I don't waste my time or money on charities anymore. Why should I be paying money to a charity to fund the pay packets of these jumped up ****wits when the money is supposed to be helping those in real need, not those in need of a good slap?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was in Dunnes Stores on Childer's Road yesterday evening and the place was very quiet. Even some of the shelves were not stocked up, usually you are falling over carts that are used to stock the shelves there. I cannot see how Dunnes Stores can continue to maintain both that place and the place in the Parkway Shopping Centre being so close to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

more junkies around, more petty crime happening.
    no queues for breakfast rolls/hot chicken rolls in delis and petrol stations

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I've taken up pickpocketing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"I'll take up smoking, then give that up!"

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

bazz26 wrote: »
    I was in Dunnes Stores on Childer's Road yesterday evening and the place was very quiet. Even some of the shelves were not stocked up, usually you are falling over carts that are used to stock the shelves there. I cannot see how Dunnes Stores can continue to maintain both that place and the place in the Parkway Shopping Centre being so close to each other.

Dunnes won`t sell the parkway because their afraid some other big supermarket group will go in there.

The nightclubs are empty as well due to this fecking resession!!

Dunnes won`t sell the parkway because their afraid some other big supermarket group will go in there.

The nightclubs are empty as well due to this fecking resession!!

The nightclubs will fill up a bit once UL and Mary I open up again, but probably not to the same level of density/frequency as before Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

That's precisely it. Like the Honan's Quay / Harvey's Quay thing (although am I right in thinking they've closed the old one there? I haven't noticed).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

bazz26 wrote: »
    I wonder how long this 24hr opening can keep going, same for the tesco in the crescent and coonagh.

The Supervalue here at Grove Island has reduced opening hours now. Closing on Tue, Wed and at the WE (i think) one hour earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I've taking up Prostitution. Which also means I'm now taking something else up... my arse :confused:

• Advertisement

I've taking up Prostitution. Which also means I'm now taking something else up... my arse :confused:

male or female - just in case i have an urge... :D

Advertisement