Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some effects of the recession in Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

I've taking up Prostitution. Which also means I'm now taking something else up... my arse :confused:
    Stay off my corner bitch or I'll shank you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

some effects of the recession in Limerick

Threads in the Limerick City Forum bleating on about the recession...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

DarkJager wrote: »
    I'm all for charity when its done properly (not 10c of the euro I've given actually getting to the country its supposed to help). Its really because of chuggers that I don't waste my time or money on charities anymore. Why should I be paying money to a charity to fund the pay packets of these jumped up ****wits when the money is supposed to be helping those in real need, not those in need of a good slap?
    Dont give your money to a chugger and give it to a charity where 90% of the money goes where its needed (Iv yet to see a charity where 10% is all that gets through). Problem solved and you now no longer have a bad excuse not to give to causes that are very worthy of some money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

Irish people working behind the counters of shops/supermarkets because so many polish have left. Also, an abundance of shapeless Irish arses on women if you are having a leering session around town. I miss those Eastern European beures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

I remember being in Dominos over the summer, waiting for a pizza.

An Irish Girl came in with a CV asking if there were any vacancies. Told them she would be delighted with any type of work.

You began to realise then, that things were starting to go downhill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dunnes won`t sell the parkway because their afraid some other big supermarket group will go in there.

The nightclubs are empty as well due to this fecking resession!!

Dunnes don't own the parkway they are just the ancor tennant. And normally I would agree about then not wanting to let a competitor into a place but the current financial difficulties could force their hand to at least close it while still holding the lease. Remember their competitors are suffering the same faith so opening a new branch in the current global downturn is financial suicide.

BTW the Dunnes Stores in Sarsfield Street is closed down, I passed it today and it looks disgraceful, the condition the building has been left in especially on a street where alot of visitors to the city via Shannon Airport. This could be a common sight unless we dig ourselves out of this economic crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

The Saint wrote: »
    Stay off my corner bitch or I'll shank you.

Bring it on ho! I'll get my fella to slap ya pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Everyone in your place of work is suddenly being very nice to one another

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

The nightclubs are empty as well due to this fecking resession!!

Nighclubs are always quieter in January, recession or not. Once we hit February then you can judge if there really has been a major drop off in numbers.

The withdrawal method will become popular again with the price of condoms so expensive:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    The withdrawal method will become popular again with the price of condoms so expensive:rolleyes:

Ah, but think about the guaranteed, tax free income from the Childers Allowance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Have you heard the latest? Pedigree Chum have gone into retrievership.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

gaf1983 wrote: »

Sorry.

GTFO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Less traffic in the mornings.

I cant agree with that I'm afraid, but would love to see it! Could have something to do with UL not being back to college yet though!

Have to say that the reduced hotel room prices are great, and the clothes stores are beginning to cop themselves on too. As for the likes of Brown Thomas, I hope they suffer badly. The prices they charge are so exhorborant that theyre almost funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    gaf1983 wrote: »

Sorry.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

All the boy racers that used to work in vistakon and dell are all broke now.. All the car enhancement stores are dead. halfords, planet auto... Its a bit funny though. I bet they feel like muppets now spending a load of money on stupid pointless stuff for their cars. I bet they wish they had that money back. There are no jobs in IT anywhere now. there are some people who are in the lower end of IT companies that wont be able to get out no matter how much they hate it because they can't get out. unless they take a new career route.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Dunnes won`t sell the parkway because their afraid some other big supermarket group will go in there.

Tesco are an anchor tenant in Parkway Valley Shopping Centre due to open April 2010. I met a guy who had a lease signed up for the centre and he has been assured it will be open or it will be a very draughty restaurant. :D

I noticed yesterday in the city it was extremely quiet. There was hardly any traffic or people around. I put some of it down to the weather as a bin outside Debenhams was stuffed with broken umbrellas. :D

We spoke about this in the car on the way home saying it may be down to the Dell debacle where people in associative companies are pulling the purse strings "just in case".

I enjoy the less traffic anyway as I drive for a living but I dont enjoy the frightened people over the "recession" because its affects my business as a sales person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

TheLoc wrote: »
    Its a bit funny though. I bet they feel like muppets now spending a load of money on stupid pointless stuff for their cars.

I have my doubts that they do realize that...

I bet they feel like muppets now spending a load of money on stupid pointless stuff for their cars.
    I have my doubts that they do realize that...

Not always the case. It depends on what they bought. If they bought bigger wheels with wider tyres then they are on better than before because now the have safer cars. If they bought special upgrades filters then their cars run better, if they bought uprated brakes then they are even safer again. If they bought a full stainless steel exhaust system front to back then even better again BUT

If they bought seat covers, stereos, subwoofers, blue bulbs, silly chrome bits and pieces and dodge vipers stripes then good luck to them. If people had trouble selling modified cars before and considering nobody is buying and second hand cars these days then good luck to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

All the boy racers that used to work in vistakon and dell are all broke now.. All the car enhancement stores are dead. halfords, planet auto... Its a bit funny though. I bet they feel like muppets now spending a load of money on stupid pointless stuff for their cars. I bet they wish they had that money back. There are no jobs in IT anywhere now. there are some people who are in the lower end of IT companies that wont be able to get out no matter how much they hate it because they can't get out. unless they take a new career route.

Too right.
    They should have been all mature like everyone else, bought a house, and be up to their eyeballs in negative equity.

Perhaps they could have invested the car money in bank shares.

Nice to see the glee you feel for the current situation. Sure you wouldn't be irish if you didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Berty wrote: »
    Tesco are an anchor tenant in Parkway Valley Shopping Centre due to open April 2010. I met a guy who had a lease signed up for the centre and he has been assured it will be open or it will be a very draughty restaurant. :D

I noticed yesterday in the city it was extremely quiet. There was hardly any traffic or people around. I put some of it down to the weather as a bin outside Debenhams was stuffed with broken umbrellas. :D

We spoke about this in the car on the way home saying it may be down to the Dell debacle where people in associative companies are pulling the purse strings "just in case".

I enjoy the less traffic anyway as I drive for a living but I dont enjoy the frightened people over the "recession" because its affects my business as a sales person.

I popped into town yesterday and it was empty!! I passed charlotte quay where there`s always cars parked and their was only one car parked there!
    I know the weather was bad but it was like 28 days later!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Roadend wrote: »
    Nighclubs are always quieter in January, recession or not. Once we hit February then you can judge if there really has been a major drop off in numbers.
    UL students arent back till the 26th, thstd 14,000 students myself included. So we will be able to judge it better then.

Was in trinity rooms last night actually, wasnt packed but a good few there.
    Berty wrote: »
    Tesco are an anchor tenant in Parkway Valley Shopping Centre due to open April 2010.
    Mate I recommend you have a look at the activity at that site at the moment.

1huge1 wrote: »

Mate I recommend you have a look at the activity at that site at the moment.

That was a concern of mine as I have a professional interest in this building and there was only one days work done on site since Black Friday in August but Im assured by a tenant that it will be completed in April 2010. He must be sure because he has already passed my company thousands of euro of a non refundable deposit for ordering tailor made equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I know the weather was bad but it was like 28 days later!

28 days later than what? ;)

crime levels will rise, break ins, muggings etc.

People will get desperate

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

28 days later than what? ;)

eh,the film..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

my mortgage payments are lower, and I've more money in my pocket, cos everythings getting cheaper. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

No law and order, random muggings, shootings, arson, theft, GBH, people terrified within their own homes and without. Gang warfare with the Gardaí as a patient, nervous audience. Vast tracts of the City look like Murmansk in 1712 - Limerick needs a new economic term......

......I'd favour "Permacession"

According to the Limerick Property News, the owner of the Two Mile Inn is selling his large property on the NCR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

That's my piggybank...

piggy-bank-300x195.jpg

Advertisement