Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some effects of the recession in Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

BeanieBaby wrote: »
    According to the Limerick Property News, the owner of the Two Mile Inn is selling his large property on the NCR.

Some of the group hotels are in trouble but that's not business related, but I'll leave the comment at that as people's personal circumstances aren't fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

The Two Mile Inn is along with the Patrick Punch Hotel in trouble since last summer... AFAIK they belong to the same group (Dunne-Group?).

The Two Mile Inn is along with the Patrick Punch Hotel in trouble since last summer... AFAIK they belong to the same group (Dunne-Group?).

Yes.

Again...there are other reasons behind the sale of the house....leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

U So Funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The pat punch hotel supposedly has new management!! If you read reviews for the place, most are fairly bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The pat punch hotel supposedly has new management!! If you read reviews for the place, most are fairly bad!

Out of 95 on Tripadvisor.ie it only has 11 bad reviews( 1/5 ) out of a possible 95 41 of which are 5/5.

It was not a bad hotel and still is not. They bad reviews I scanned through were early reviews and most related to noise from the front of the hotel. The hotel faces the road, as we know, so thats life really.

The Dunne group whom I have dealings with were a good group. The Clybaun(which they had on Lease) is now under Lease with somebody else. The Rigdepool in Ballina is now closed. The Dunne group let this out to the HSE as an asylum centre and that was the downfall of that property. I dont know much about the Waterford hotel and the Two Mile Inn was not in a good position. The Fitzpatrick was ok if you stayed in the holiday homes. I have a review of the hotel(stayed for wedding) and they still had the Shannon Fitzpatrick logo on the phones in the rooms showing no money was spent on the rooms at all in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Can't get over though how good the old Punches bar was not too long ago, probably one of the best thriving pubs in Limerick. Huge lunch trade and a great night venue.. the bar now is just like a hotel lobby, very kind of plastic and soulless. Yes the group is in receivership under Price Waterhouse and looking for a buyer, sad in a way i think. BTW does anyone remember the female singer with the sax player who used to play there regularly in the early mid nineties?

Berty wrote: »
    Out of 95 on Tripadvisor.ie it only has 11 bad reviews( 1/5 ) out of a possible 95 41 of which are 5/5.

It was not a bad hotel and still is not. They bad reviews I scanned through were early reviews and most related to noise from the front of the hotel. The hotel faces the road, as we know, so thats life really.

The Dunne group whom I have dealings with were a good group. The Clybaun(which they had on Lease) is now under Lease with somebody else. The Rigdepool in Ballina is now closed. The Dunne group let this out to the HSE as an asylum centre and that was the downfall of that property. I dont know much about the Waterford hotel and the Two Mile Inn was not in a good position. The Fitzpatrick was ok if you stayed in the holiday homes. I have a review of the hotel(stayed for wedding) and they still had the Shannon Fitzpatrick logo on the phones in the rooms showing no money was spent on the rooms at all in years.

People normally book on the most recent, or by the front page of whats on TA, just look at the front page, reviews selected by the newest first, doesnt look good.

Just saying :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ilovecars

TheLoc wrote: »
    All the boy racers that used to work in vistakon and dell are all broke now.. All the car enhancement stores are dead. halfords, planet auto... Its a bit funny though. I bet they feel like muppets now spending a load of money on stupid pointless stuff for their cars. I bet they wish they had that money back. There are no jobs in IT anywhere now. there are some people who are in the lower end of IT companies that wont be able to get out no matter how much they hate it because they can't get out. unless they take a new career route.
    thats a ridiculous comment to make, half the people in the country are regretting spending money on 'pointless' things..

In gerry thornleys article in the irish times today it says the Castletroy Park Hotel is closing its doors this weekend!!
    In another sign of the financial times we live in, the Irish squad had been due to stay in their customary Limerick base of the Castletroy Hotel when they went into camp yesterday, but discovered last Friday that the hotel was closing its doors this weekend. Hence, they have relocated to another Limerick hotel.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0127/1232923366825.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Wow first I'm hearing that. I remember only 2 months ago in 1st year business in UL we had to do a report on how great the hotel was...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

And they're listed as being an exhibitor at the LIT careers fair on today. Curiouser and curiouser.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

story from the UL forum was that there's a meeting there on friday to discuss the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

According to the news, they need investors to stay open. I don't know if they've officially announced closure yet.

In other news, I went to Rubys in the Castletroy shopping center for a sandwich at lunchtime, and they seem to be closed (shutters down, chairs on tables). Temporary or permanent??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Berty wrote: »
    That was a concern of mine as I have a professional interest in this building and there was only one days work done on site since Black Friday in August but Im assured by a tenant that it will be completed in April 2010. He must be sure because he has already passed my company thousands of euro of a non refundable deposit for ordering tailor made equipment.

I really hope your right because i live right next to the site an at first it was quite artistic looking out front window and seeing 8 or at one stage 9 cranes of different height all pointing different directions but its getting a bit old at this stage. I'm not an expert but it looks like all the hard work is done,e.g shell of the building , so i'd say theres at most 10 months of solid work left to finish it. I'll be getting worried if there's still no activity by early summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    I really hope your right because i live right next to the site an at first it was quite artistic looking out front window and seeing 8 or at one stage 9 cranes of different height all pointing different directions but its getting a bit old at this stage. I'm not an expert but it looks like all the hard work is done,e.g shell of the building , so i'd say theres at most 10 months of solid work left to finish it. I'll be getting worried if there's still no activity by early summer
    I don't see things improving from now to summer, the opposite is more likely so I can't see any work being done on it any time soon sadly.

Just read on another forum that some Jack & Jones stores have signs up that they are in administration.

Checked their parent companys site and it says the let go a few people

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I noticed recently that the Cornmarket Bar has closed down.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I noticed recently that the Cornmarket Bar has closed down.

That's closed since July, maybe even June.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Just read on another forum that some Jack & Jones stores have signs up that they are in administration.

Checked their parent companys site and it says the let go a few people

There is no reference to htis company being in administration on any of the news sites, nor is it in google's aggrigator. I would appreciate it if you linked to the message on their website where it says they let people go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ninty9er wrote: »
    That's closed since July, maybe even June.

LOL, tells you how long it has been since I was down that way.

There is no reference to htis company being in administration on any of the news sites, nor is it in google's aggrigator. I would appreciate it if you linked to the message on their website where it says they let people go.

There are only two comments:

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/chatroom/topic/346012

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Unfortunately, the little newsagents/shop on William St. beside Leavy's Shoes has closed down as of Saturday night. I know there's always the Centra a couple of doors down, but it was a handy spot all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Furious_Daz

Rumours about Harvey Normans pulling out of Limerick seem to be doing the rounds today aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

The Jack & Jones in Limerick is a franchise operation (like many McDonalds etc) and a busy one at that. A good range of clothes at very reasonable prices. The above weblink refers to a UK operation and has nothing to do with the title of this thread "Some Effects of the Recession in Limerick".

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Rumours about Harvey Normans pulling out of Limerick seem to be doing the rounds today aswell...

Any link?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was told this morning that Jack & Jones in the Crescent Shopping Centre has taken the lease of Mango.

On Harvey Norman. Its no secret that Go Harvey Go is in trouble considering his MD for Ireland foretold a potato famine in the days of Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

since this thread is no negative, and not helping the recession.

Has anyone anything positive to say about Limerick.
    If you would actually understand recession is actually all in the head. We create it ourselves. Right now this thread, is helping.

Does anyone get it yet. I mean seriously its sheeple nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

In the city centre: Lots of empty flats. Much cheaper flats. Fewer Polish people in flats and more dodgy characters moving in instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

pwd wrote: »
    In the city centre: Lots of empty flats. Much cheaper flats. Fewer Polish people in flats and more dodgy characters moving in instead.

anything good to say? does it feel better for the economy that we bitch and feel like crap, or should we actually deal with it and start taking control of this negativity.

World depressions, are media fed. They tell you minus 6percent growth next year, stated by the greatest evil. I.e T.V.....:rolleyes:

So generally, followerrs, uniformed, ignorant, distracted and the gullable will automatically take this subconciosuly and begin to create this reality.

Thats what it is.
    If you have a choice,
    Postive or be negative. Which is the best option, even in the glare of this negativism.

I think many people are forgetting what it's like to actually stand back and home ur own senses:rolleyes: it's not rocket science.

Advertisement