Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some effects of the recession in Limerick

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Casperbhoy wrote: »

I spoke to somebody recently who was interviewing to fill a position for a Business Development Manager. He was only interviewing 4 people in total although he could have easily interviewed over 100.

He did say he has people with 20+ years sales experience who were willing to take a drop of upwards of €30,000 just to have a job instead of social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

People worried anxious about recession meaning there is less money being spent, meaning less hours for staff, and businesses closing down. The same can be said for fast food places, cafes, pubs...everyone spending less...everyone on the Internet thinking about the recession....tightening purse strings, causing even more hours to be cut...

Also, I agree with all earlier comments made by mysterious...There is a huge psychological factor here whether you believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Berty wrote: »
    I spoke to somebody recently who was interviewing to fill a position for a Business Development Manager. He was only interviewing 4 people in total although he could have easily interviewed over 100.

He did say he has people with 20+ years sales experience who were willing to take a drop of upwards of €30,000 just to have a job instead of social welfare.

But they were not taking a drop of 30k if they were already out of work. Plus the wages for a Business Development Manager is miles and miles above the dole so it is not as though they would be applying for a job that would barely allow them to scrape by.

Your past wage means nothing once the job is gone to be honest, I was made unemployed six weeks ago, and was on what many would call a good wage, since then I am applying left right and centre, and while I would love to get a wage similar to what I am on, I am also applying for any part time work I see and those part time jobs that only matche the money I would get when my dole application finally goes through. But I would prefer to work part time and get the 204 euro that way, than be bored week in week out and go to the post office and collect the same amount for the dole each week.

The only positive from being let go is that I have gotten all the painting jobs and other such jobs around the house that I was putting off all the time done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Kess73 wrote: »
    The only positive from being let go is that I have gotten all the painting jobs and other such jobs around the house that I was putting off all the time done.

Gotta agree with you about this surely the painting decorating and gardening stores are getting some increase in business the wall lawn and flowers have never looked so good and only my other half is out of work we'd have a botanic garden if we both were:P

Must say I thought the business at the saturday market is increasing every week and not just stalll watching but actual buying which is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

sioda wrote: »
    Gotta agree with you about this surely the painting decorating and gardening stores are getting some increase in business the wall lawn and flowers have never looked so good and only my other half is out of work we'd have a botanic garden if we both were:P

Must say I thought the business at the saturday market is increasing every week and not just stalll watching but actual buying which is great

Yeah the painting/DIY stores have to be making some money from people with extra time on their hands. :D

It is important to keep some kind of routine though when made unemployed, to me anyway.

Job searching has to be done both online and on foot, but doing stuff around the house like painting/DIY/Gardening fills the time you would have been at work during the day, and keeps you active and gives your mind something to do. Getting up at your old times is another thing a person should keep doing, and if they stayed in bed longer during their days off, then have two days a week where you keep your day off habit also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Looks like the final nail in the coffin of the Parkway Valley Center

ALMOST 300 skilled construction workers look likely to remain out of work after a petition was lodged in the High Court to recover money from the developers behind the multi-million-euro Parkway Valley project.
    The huge Dublin Road development began slowing to a halt last August, following the builders' holiday. Now, Dublin firm Deepdrill Developments has applied to the High Court for the liquidation of Danningers, the main operating company of Ireland's biggest developer, Liam Carroll. The case is expected to be heard next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Alot more "special offer" junk mail coming in the letter box too.. even though the special offers are the price we should have been paying all along..

R.I.P. off Ireland (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Looks like the final nail in the coffin of the Parkway Valley Center
    ugh :(

so what are they going to do with that eyesore now, leve it there forever?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

On the bright side,that site would make a great skateboard park.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I have a better plan for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Another effect of this recession..........my jocks are getting threadbare.

The Centra on O'Connell St has closed. Pretty damning sign of how bad things have gone in the city center if they can't even keep a convienice store going. That said the one on O'Connell St wasn't a patch on the William St branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Its the off-licence hours that are killing outlets like Centra. The 'nanny state' is ruining business and now they want to reduce the alcohol limit for driving :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I spotted that. Pretty shocking alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

My brother was looking at some commerical units in limerick on rooneys auctioneers there is some amount of places selling up/selling their lease just look

http://www.rooneys.eu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

The Centra on O'Connell St has closed. Pretty damning sign of how bad things have gone in the city center if they can't even keep a convienice store going. That said the one on O'Connell St wasn't a patch on the William St branch.

i didnt think their was much difference between the 2 branches,had all the same stuff and aroundthe same size.altho the bus stops must help william st but still a centra on the main of part of o connell st closing aint a good sign

I think your man who runs the William Street Branch is going re-opening the O'Connell street shop. I'd be surprised if somebody with a bit of business savvy couldn't make a go of the place, he's done a great job on William Street and has a bigger premises to work with on O'Connell St. Should do well.

Which guy? Upper William St guy or Lower William St guy?

Which guy? Upper William St guy or Lower William St guy?

Lower William Street. The youngish fella.

• Advertisement

Lower William Street. The youngish fella.

Cheers I will give him a call to see if I can do some business with him before the year is out. ;)

Cheers I will give him a call to see if I can do some business with him before the year is out. ;)

The shop is in the process of being refitted out in the past couple of days.

Advertisement