Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happens when the social welfare is stopped?

• 15-01-2009 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I am posting this for my mother. I dont know much about state benefits myself.
    My mother received a letter from the social wefare today stating that her payment will stop soon for my younger brother, who is the youngest.
    So my younger brother who is almost 18 and is almost finished his course in college. He's 18 in february and finished his course in march. The payment stops then.

What happens then? To my mother? Is she on her own then? What kind of payment is she entited to then? Does she have to apply for the dole?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'm assuming it's the child benefit that's stopping. That's it. No child (or under 21 in full-time education), no child benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Ya it must be the child benefit. And she is also getting the one parent family allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

If there are no other kids on the OFP claim the claim will stop,she will have to make a Jobseekers claim presume she is not working. If the child goes back to college in Sept. she can make a new OFP claim then for him because he is stil under 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tomred1 wrote: »
    If there are no other kids on the OFP claim the claim will stop,she will have to make a Jobseekers claim presume she is not working. If the child goes back to college in Sept. she can make a new OFP claim then for him because he is stil under 21.

But surely an 18 / 19 / 20 year old college student doesn't need full time parenting!!!!

Actually, neither does a 15 / 16 / 17 year old one(*). Why hasn't she gone out and got herself a job already? Harsh concept I know, having to work for your money, but it's how most of the country lives!!!

(*) special need excepted, but there's no mention of caregiving in the original post, especially as Mr 18 is going to college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 num bum!!

I tihnk the payment stops as soon as child hits 18, when my mam inquired about payment when i went to college she was told it stops at at regaurdless if your in college or not

• Advertisement
Advertisement