Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

00 Megane starts when it wants!!

Options
  • 15-01-2009 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I have a 00 renault megane that's giving me trouble on and off starting. Its fully serviced and just NCT'd but it's been not starting me on and off since i got it a year ago.Never did anything about it cos thought maybe i was flooding it but it's a lot worse lately.
    It started this morning no probs, i drove 2 mins to my local shop and when tried to start again it took a few tries.
    It's making a noise as if trying to start but not kicking in.
    On Monday last when i finished in work it wouldnt start at all. I left it for 10mins and tried again but still nothing. When i went into work the next day it started no problem. I drove it to advance pitstop and they checked battery and said couldnt find anything wrong cos battery fine and no engine mgmt light on.

Any ideas what this could be? It's really annoying me now cos only 50k miles on it and cant rely on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Is the engine turning over when it won't start?

If the engines not turning over and the battery is fine, its probably the starter motor

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I thought from the header that your car starts of its own accord when you are nowhere near it.

Like Christine.

And maybe in the dead of night.

That would have been cool.

Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 purple17

Eh no sorry im not driving Kitt from nightrider.
    It's turning over like making noise (sorry im a female with lil knowledge of cars!) and battery is fine.
    Garage said they wud have 2 c it when it's not starting but that'll be a major pain to have to call someone out or get towed and be charged for it! And no im not in the AA.

Ive just upped my insurance to fully comp which includes breakdown cover so ill get them out next time it wont start.
    If anyone still has any ideas what might be wrong please let me know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭comanche_cor

purple17 wrote: »
    Ive just upped my insurance to fully comp which includes breakdown cover so ill get them out next time it wont start.
    If anyone still has any ideas what might be wrong please let me know!!

yup, i'd reckon its the TDC
    http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10062&highlight=scenic+TDC

Have the same problem myself, havent gotten around to fixing it though. What I normally do to get it working again is wriggle the gear box. Why - well changing gears give the TDC a bit of a shake and gets it working again ... works for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

We had the exact same problem with our 00 scenic, 2 different mechanics couldn't figure it out, nothing showed up on their diagnostic equipment. I saw the thread on the renault forum that comanche_cor has linked to, tried it out and never had any bother since. That was about a year ago. Very easy job to do, I only had to remove the battery to get access to the TDC sensor. I just cleaned it with Isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks Skibum, ill get my father to try that - he'd have a better idea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

The keys are known to give trouble on these cars. The key has a chip in it that is prone to failure so your cars immobiliser will not allow the car to run. Happened to my brother recently. Try a spare key if you have one.

Advertisement