Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HELP VRT is driving me mad

Options
  • 15-01-2009 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hi guys

Could someone in VRT Dept. land please explain where you pull the OMSP prices from. Who the Flup makes them up

I am looking at a Fab 06 Jaguar XJ 2.7 tdvi in UK for €18,000 euro, in the colour I love, and I really love these cars, and I wanna buy it so I check with the revenue website.

OMSP says car is 70 thousand Euro, that it be €24,000 VRT please

Carzone have these around the 40k mark

Whats goin on?

I am so p1ssed off at the way they treat us here

What can we do, I dont want to pay them 24k and then appeal it after because the chances of getting money back from them afterwards is ZERO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What can we do, I dont want to pay them 24k and then appeal it after

Well you could try doing exactly as the representitive from the revenue said the few times I've heard him on the radio.

Put together a decent case why the OMSP should be lower, with as much detail as possible, and present it to them to have it lowered.

What yu dont do is go in ranting that it shoudl be lower because you dont want to pay that much or rant online.

because the chances of getting money back from them afterwards is ZERO

Not true, theres people on this very site that have got rebates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Your last thread on this subject this morning was locked, and you started the same thread again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

Ah Stekelly you're no Fun. Lighten up

:p
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Well you could try doing exactly as the representitive from the revenue said the few times I've heard him on the radio.

Put together a decent case why the OMSP should be lower, with as much detail as possible, and present it to them to have it lowered.

€24,000 VRT on a car that costs €18,000, what case do I need to prove

What yu dont do is go in ranting that it shoudl be lower because you dont want to pay that much or rant online.

Ranting is FUN, we need to Expose this as an illegal TAX

Not true, theres people on this very site that have got rebates.

Agreed but the fact you have to pay first then appeal is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Have you ever locked a thread yet, ned78? Go on, you know you want to!:D

lol, no Anan1, my super dooper powers apply to the A&A forum only :)

• Advertisement

Mods 2 - 0 LoveDucati2 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What can we do, I dont want to pay them 24k and then appeal it after because the chances of getting money back from them afterwards is ZERO

Actually most appeals are successful believe it or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hi guys

Could someone from the morons in VRT Dept. land please explain where you pull the OMSP prices from. Who the Flup makes them up

I am looking at a Fab 06 Jaguar XJ 2.7 tdvi in UK for €18,000 euro, in the colour I love, and I really love these cars, and I wanna buy it so I check with the theiving blustards revenue website.

OMSP says car is 70 Fecking thousand Euro, that it be €24,000 VRT please

Whats goin on?

I am so p1ssed off at the way these counts treat us here

OK, so you'll end up paying the going rate. Sounds like the Rev have it about right!

ned78 wrote: »
    Your last thread on this subject this morning was locked, and you started the same thread again?

nice to see the religious out to ruin peoples fun

it was locked because of my language which i have modified

it is a genuine valid discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

it is a genuine valid discussion
    ...that has been done ad nauseum. It's not like it's a what car should I buy thread where the answer varies. The answer has and always will be the same while VRT exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

€24k is a lot to hand over and hope for an appeal though:eek:

ninty9er wrote: »
    ...that has been done ad nauseum. It's not like it's a what car should I buy thread where the answer varies. The answer has and always will be the same while VRT exists.

I understand that its been done ad nauseum, sorry for boring you

but surely its about time that we in this country actually did something to make a change

has anyone got any valid ideas on how we go and change the system

I have paid VRT before on cars and on motorbikes, I have appealed it before and it just gets dragged out.

I do not mind paying VRT on a car that I love but 24k VRT on a car costing 18k is criminal.

VRT should be on the price paid for the product

not on an invented figure assigned to it by a dept. oblivious to whats going on in the markets today.

VRT should be on the price paid for the product

Yeah, great plan. Imagine the amount of Ferraris coming into the country that people have receipts fot saying the paid €2000 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

I don't want to drag the thread too off topic, but I was wondering, do you pay VRT on VRT ? i.e. if the OMSP is say 20 grand, which for arguments sake is the price in the garage down the road, that already includes VRT paid by the garage bringing the car in, pushing the price and value in this country up, at 20 per cent, 4 grand of that 20 could be VRT, so the real price would be 16 grand exVRT................ I am confusing myself now so if that made any sense at all are people paying tax on tax.

Yeah, great plan. Imagine the amount of Ferraris coming into the country that people have receipts fot saying the paid €2000 for it.

I know what you mean, but I will have a genuine receipt from a Jaguar dealer in UK for £16,999

But it's easy to get a genuine receipt saying whatever you want it to say.

I know what you mean, but I will have a genuine receipt from a Jaguar dealer in UK for £16,999

and what of the people with dodgey receipts? Would you be happy that somone else paid vrt on €2000 whereas you paid it on £18,000 for the same car.

What about people who buy privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

So you save 2 grand by buying here, without all the hassle of travelling etc?

Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

For the OP

What you do here is go to the VRO office.

Go to register the car and then say that you what to recline from registering the car as the OMSP as stated by the Revenue are incorrect and you would like them to investigate the correct OMSP.

Provide three examples of similiar cars with prices from registered SIMI dealers.

She will take this together with your details and send to their main VRO office.

She should give you a note, to cover you for 10 days until they have it sorted out.

I went to the VRO in Dundalk last July 08, I told them that the CO2 emissions on their site was incorrect and she was able to process my application with the lower CO2 rate as per the V5.

If you produce the Invoice as well from the place you bought it from, this should also assist your application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Wacko wrote: »
    I don't want to drag the thread too off topic, but I was wondering, do you pay VRT on VRT ? i.e. if the OMSP is say 20 grand, which for arguments sake is the price in the garage down the road, that already includes VRT paid by the garage bringing the car in, pushing the price and value in this country up, at 20 per cent, 4 grand of that 20 could be VRT, so the real price would be 16 grand exVRT................ I am confusing myself now so if that made any sense at all are people paying tax on tax.

On the nose Wacko. We are paying VRT on VRT. Sure t'is Ireland after all. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

kluivert wrote: »
    For the OP

What you do here is go to the VRO office.

Go to register the car and then say that you what to recline from registering the car as the OMSP as stated by the Revenue are incorrect and you would like them to investigate the correct OMSP.

Are you within your rights to do that, anytime i've queryed it they say you have to pay the VRT first and then try and make a claim.

I really hope this is possible as they've tried to Jockey me this morning, OSMP €17,000 - Main Dealer cost €10,000:mad:

Waiting on a phone call back while they calculate the VRT, they are insting I pay the VRT then challenge the OSMP...

tbh, at this stage i'd nearly burn the car i'm that enraged.., the VRT is more than I paid for it, and I have a recipt:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Do you have to go into the VRO or Online to get the price? I ask this because I would prefer to ring up (as I'm in work). I checked the online price and they didn't have my exact car.

The other problem is, I tried to go in and blag a freebie as I'm from the UK... but living here 8 years... they had me sused though when I shown them the dodgy documents, so I made my excuses and left... without actually giving them any car details!

I've been quoted online €2500 for my smart roadster, which is going for about £10k / €13/14k but the value should be around €18k as its Brabus, so I'm suspecting the OMSP is around the higher price.

I've avoided it for a while but think I should be getting around to changing it, but was waiting for 2009 so the car would be a year older...

VRT is a scam.

Oh and I checked a website... DO NOT! Give anybody (Customers or Guards) your keys if they get pulled... if even they ask, because they can't legally take the car off you!.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

DanGlee wrote: »
    Oh and I checked a website... DO NOT! Give anybody (Customers or Guards) your keys if they get pulled... if even they ask, because they can't legally take the car off you!.

Hmm, I don't think this is good advice. Customs want the Car they will take it legally and there is not a thing you can do.
    After all you are evading tax....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

DanGlee wrote: »

terrible mis-information.

customs in ireland have far reaching powers, siezure of goods which do not have applicable taxes, duties etc paid on is one.

It BeeMee wrote: »
    So you save 2 grand by buying here, without all the hassle of travelling etc?

Happy days!

yeah its beginning to look like that, only difference is spec, and condition is better in the UK.

but I will have 24,000 reasons to buy the Irish one

But it's easy to get a genuine receipt saying whatever you want it to say.

But it will be a genuine receipt from a Jaguar dealer

A receipt is worth the paper it's written on. I could print you any number of receipts if you'd like.

A receipt is worth the paper it's written on. I could print you any number of receipts if you'd like.

Sure thing Ned, what ever you say

And when revenue phone the genuine Jaguar dealer who are a registered business, with a verifable address, premises, phone, VAT no., website, directors ETC.

lol, the revenue won't phone your Jag dealer. That's why the receipt is worth the paper it's written on. The good old VRO's job is to bring in VRT for our Government, and they'll just go off OMSP, and charge accordingly.

If you have an issue with it, they'll just tell you to pay up, and contest it later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

You know what im thinking?

If you cant afford the €24,000 that you will need to pay in order to drive you XJ legally in this country, then your really wasting your time coming on here to complain about it.

Just by an irish car if you dont want to pay that much VRT. Or just buy a car you can afford to import.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement