Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Runway

• 15-01-2009 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Is Dublin airport runway too short to take some of the new aircraft? Is there any plans to extend it? DAA are spending alot of money expanding the terminal buildings but I think extending the runway should also be on the agenda. How I would like to see the Airbus A380 coming into land in Dublin. I was recently on it from London to Singapore.....Its top class.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

As far as I know runway 10/28 could in theory take an A380, although I'm open to correction. Adjustments have to be made to the terminal buildings to take passengers from 2 levels. Dublin isn't a busy enough airport to need an airline using an A380. London/manchester/schipol/frankfurt are all short hops away.

The DAA are planning a 2nd parallel runway, but this may not happen

EDIT: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055346319&highlight=Dublin+A380 See here

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FoldedShirt

Large aircraft can fly from Dublin, but the runway is too short for them to fly with a heavy load. That's why it's not possible to fly direct from Dublin to places like Singapore - the fuel load would be too heavy. The new runway will be longer so flights could carry more fuel and fly further. But don't worry, the runway in Shannon is longer, so Dublin to Singapore with a Shannon stopover is already feasible. Thank the Shannon lobby for opposing any extensions to Dublin's runway in the past.

I think Shannon is a diversion airport for A380s flying transatlantic. If it is it's only a matter of time before one of them pays a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Is Dublin airport runway too short to take some of the new aircraft? Is there any plans to extend it? DAA are spending alot of money expanding the terminal buildings but I think extending the runway should also be on the agenda. How I would like to see the Airbus A380 coming into land in Dublin. I was recently on it from London to Singapore.....Its top class.

No is the plain answer.

However the range of any a380 x DUB would be limited by r/w length ie reduced fuel load or reduced payload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

forget the runway, can you imagine 550 passengers all trying to get the same flight at Dublin airport, it would be chaos.

Ahh no.

Sure Aer lingus had 747s with 456y capacity with no problems years ago.

Its not the passenger numbers ,it's the facilities for parking handling that would be a current problem at Dublin

• Advertisement

Ahh no.

Its not the passenger numbers ,it's the facilities for parking handling that would be a current problem at Dublin

Those 747s didn't have full fuel tanks. Therein lies the problem. Send as many A380s as you want to Dublin, but prepare to stop at Shannon if you want to go as far as Hong Kong or Singapore. If you ever got the 747 to Shannon, you would notice just how quickly a large plane can take-off when it has hardly any fuel in its tank.

BA have a similar issue with their planned flight from London City to New York. The A318 can take-off from the very short runway at City no problem, but it can't carry the weight of the fuel necessary to go nonstop. So it will stop in Shannon (long runway) on the westbound leg and fly the eastbound leg nonstop.

I think you need to read my post again in it's proper context.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

noblestee wrote: »
    Go nuts with the approved planning application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

noblestee wrote: »
    As far as I know runway 10/28 could in theory take an A380, although I'm open to correction. Adjustments have to be made to the terminal buildings to take passengers from 2 levels. Dublin isn't a busy enough airport to need an airline using an A380. London/manchester/schipol/frankfurt are all short hops away.

EDIT: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055346319&highlight=Dublin+A380 See here

Dublin carries more passengers every year then Manchester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ahh no.

Pre Ryanair days?

• Advertisement

yes up to about the early 90s I think from the mid 70s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

BA have a similar issue with their planned flight from London City to New York. The A318 can take-off from the very short runway at City no problem, but it can't carry the weight of the fuel necessary to go nonstop. So it will stop in Shannon (long runway) on the westbound leg and fly the eastbound leg nonstop.

Intersting, the gulf stream effect is that dramatic on the way back from the states? Is this the biggest plane London city can handle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Intersting, the gulf stream effect is that dramatic on the way back from the states? Is this the biggest plane London city can handle?

AFAIR Difference in the same flight duration between Dublin and Boston is 45 minutes, so quite possibly, yes.

City can really only handle the smaller planes, so a modified A318 is what is being used. This article suggest that it's the aircrafts ability to deal with a steep approach is one of the more significant reasons for selection.

The issue is it can't take-off from London City with a full fuel tank. The runway isn't long enough. In much the same way, any airline could offer nonstop flights from Singapore to Dublin, but it would have to stop at Shannon on the way back because the runway in Dublin isn't long enough for a full load.

The issue is it can't take-off from London City with a full fuel tank. The runway isn't long enough. In much the same way, any airline could offer nonstop flights from Singapore to Dublin, but it would have to stop at Shannon on the way back because the runway in Dublin isn't long enough for a full load.

But they would be right dummies if they did that.

An auld stop in DXB or somewhere en-route would be more cost effective.

But they would be right dummies if they did that.

An auld stop in DXB or somewhere en-route would be more cost effective.

I agree. But our esteemed Minister of Defence and the marching bands of Limerick would tell you that Shannon needs direct links to Singapore. A new compulsory Shannon stopover for eastbound flights would be fun for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Has the new runway notion not been canned? Sure I saw that somewhere before xmas...:confused:

Advertisement