Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The really good boards stuff

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Movember - few of us banded together and as a group raised over €4,000 for cancer research

Spear headed by DamoElDiablo

so much good stuff about the site and the community :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yes a few and babies born too.
    Awww :o

I mean like, Did Dev dress up in his nicest Avatar and pronounce the lovely couple, or what? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Des wrote: »
    orly?

/goes for a look

edit : can't find it, where should I be looking?

Try here :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1089

The boards drama group wouldn't have got off the ground had it not been for boards. Its been great.

Aside from that alot of great things have come out of boards, the photography book sits on the table in my sitting room, the paranormal convention and PIGS outings have been great fun and I've met some really cool people on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The Airsoft lads raised cash for SSF from collections and auctions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I'm happy to see a thread here outlining all the positives on boards :)

I've met a lot of genuinely cool people from boards :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The boys from the dark side of the humour forum raised about $800. Well done guys.

Don't forget the Stand-up Comedy forum guys. They've special nights too.

As Boards is growing its online community is exploding as expected but its also getting a huge real world gathering of like mined people.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The people, simple as that. Without them all the other good stuff that's been mentioned could never have happened. If anyone is ever in doubt as to the inherent good in people they should just hang around Boards for a few days and they'll doubt no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Zaph wrote: »
    If anyone is ever in doubt as to the inherent good in people they should just hang around Boards for a few days and they'll doubt no more.

Not the Dome though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

javaboy wrote: »
    Not the Dome though.

Good point. Maybe we should have some of those red velvet ropes in front of it to stop visitors wandering in there by mistake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I'm pretty sure there's been at least one marriage (and subsequent child) from people meeting as a result of boards.

For me it's people going way out of their way to help me out, speaking to me on msn, even ringing me while they're in work and no doubt having better things to be doing. Or people posting things to my house that are a huge help in future job applications. You know who are, thanks a million!

I like to think that's the spirit of boards and I'll certainly do the same for others if I'm ever of enough use!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Zaph wrote: »
    Good point. Maybe we should have some of those red velvet ropes in front of it to stop visitors wandering in there by mistake?
    shush Zaph, let's not turn this into a feedback thread...

I <3 boards. END OF.

I love the community, I love the members, I love the trolls, I love the mods, It's the perfect balance to keep people coming back for more. Long may it continue.:)

SteveC wrote: »
    I love the members

*snicker*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Overheal wrote: »
    *snicker*
    As they said in the Tayto ad..

"there's always one"

<3 you too overheal ya bollix:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I love that fact that boardsies who are in Aus or NZ and so far from home are meeting up for drinks and looking after each other. The forum has really come in to it's own and the posters are a great bunch - most people are genuinely helpful to others, no matter how often weve heard the question before (and usually it's loads of times)

Ive also made some real friends from boards and had some very entertaining nights out!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Impossible to pinpoint one thing.

Boardeaux has already been mentioned. Santa Strike Force is great. The soccer forum donated an xbox plus game to the SSF for Christmas, while there's a good number of us doing a special fantasy football league that will also see proceeds go to the cause. That kinda thing is great.

The general sense of both community and variety is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

I got into airsoft through Boards. It was (and still is) the number 1 meeting and information point for the sport in Ireland, despite efforts to hijack that title. I've met most of the people I chatted to first, always interesting to do that, and thankfully most of them were very sound.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

javaboy wrote: »
    Didn't you meet your squeeze through Boards? I would think that would be among the good boards stuff for a few people.

meh!!

Overheal wrote: »
    Has there been a Boards Marriage yet?

dont look at me

Pfft. Im not into the fluff - youre alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I dont think there really is an Irish web resource that could rival boardw, come to think of it I doubt that there are many globaly that have the broad range of forums found here, I loves it everything you could ever think of is civered in one or more forums, and of course it has the CT Community, a lively and fun bunch of nutters you would never encounter in real life.

What I dont get is the people complain about boards, either do something to make it better or Politley Fvck off would be my take on that

• Advertisement

I dont think there really is an Irish web resource that could rival boardw, come to think of it I doubt that there are many globaly that have the broad range of forums found here, I loves it everything you could ever think of is civered in one or more forums, and of course it has the CT Community, a lively and fun bunch of nutters you would never encounter in real life.

What I dont get is the people complain about boards, either do something to make it better or Politley Fvck off would be my take on that
    Boards is a Monopoly almost, though really its just far and away taken center stage from a lot of much much smaller websites. The internets is a free market - those not happy here are more than welcome to create/contribute to 'competitor' sites. In truth ive never met a message board as cleverly executed, or so well populated.

From a business standpoint though as DeV would put it (im sure) is to try and appeal to the widest userbase possible. The problem being the website is still appealing to people that get banned and banned again. But those people just dont sit well with multiple other users, and so the majority rules.

They complain to get boards to try to get boards to lean a little more in their favor. Sure if nobody complained rolleyes would be dead! :rolleyes: It wont be that long before we see "political entities/parties" emerge on boards for the sole purpose of pushing their agenda on boards.ie - the Groups feature will take on a life of its own in the future.

God I love the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

do something to make it better or Politley Fvck off would be my take on that

sometimes, you can replace the "Or" with an "and" and it still works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

The fact that people complain and don't fuck off would actually be one of my favourite things about the site.

People genuinely want to participate in boards and their feedback (good or bad) is very useful. Those of us who've been around longer may have a biased attitude and a 'that's the way things are' mentality.

I mean sure, the site is amazing as it is, but I'd have said that a year ago, and look at the improvements that have come about since then. There's always room to improve and people complaining about the site will usually lead to it growing to accomodate them or their tastes or style of posting.

Sure, off-topic posts and comments don't fit in with Personal Issues, but that style of posting is perfectly appropriate in After Hours or in more extreme cases the Thunderdome or Cuckoo's Nest.

That's what I like about this site. It's really broad, and has something for everyone. And if it doesn't, I'd welcome the feedback (positive or negative) as to how things can change to offer more.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I like it for the people, the informashun and the secks that we all get from Boards.

Seriously though, there are some genuinely great people on here. I was talking to a friend of mine who doesn't use Boards last week and she said that from what I told her, people seem really cool on here.

Also love the mad trollish feedback threads, which are few and far between these days.

Oh, and mocking the TV3/RTE shills. That's always fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

There is a fantastic sense of community here.

In a way being a boards member is a bit like being a Borg and logging in is like plugging into the hive-mind. It's a fantastic resource for advice and support and it's great to hear what other people are doing, saying and thinking.*

(*even Pighead and his Zen-like proclamations in the third-person)

Advertisement