Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of light fitting for car

Options
  • 15-01-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

The glass on the front light of my car (micra) is badly cracked, think it happened driving over the weekend.

Just brought it to my local garage (just a local guy, not affiliated with a dealership or anything) and have been quoted €195 to fix it – Was told that the entire fitting had to be replaced, and the lights had to be realigned or something.

This seems like a lot of money for what is esentially broken glass. The cost is inclusive of labour. It will be €10 less if I don’t need a new headlight.

Any advice on this matter would be very much appreciated. Am I being ripped off, or is this the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Seems a bit steep, why dont you get a second hand lamp from a breakers yard? It would be cheaper.Headlamp alignment should only be 20 or 30 euro i'd imagine, and there's probably less than an hours labour in fitting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

ok

Am I being ripped off?

yes

is this the norm?

yes

breakers mabed €45 the lads there will probably fit it for €10 and then €20 to get it set

genuine parts are a shocking cost ned
    i got two pins 4" long mild steel zinc coated for my rear caliper
    €16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Great cheers, have found some numbers of breakers yards so am going to make a few calls - €195 really is incredible for a new light!

Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

I just got a quote for €140, that includes a new light (from nissan), installation and realignment. I have gone to this guy before (from home town) and he said that the installation should only take about 5 minutes so I asume that I am not being charged much for it.

I think the €195 quote must have been:

€90 for the light
    €30 relaignment
    €75 for the installation taking 5 minutes

It is ridiculous!!!

Mechanic is also going to have a scout around for me for a second hand one. I tried a few breakers yards yesterday but no one had one in stock at the minute. He has gotten second hand parts before for my sisters car so hopefully he can find it.

I called the €195 quote garage back to say that I wouldn't be going with him. I promptly got a call back from the guy that I dealt with to ask why I wasn't going to use him. I explained about my new quote and he "kindly" informed me that where I was getting it done "must be some kind of cowboy operation, and are probably using shoddy parts" and to "mark my words when you go to get your NCT done you will have to replace that and dont come to me to get it done".

I "kindly" informed him that my mechanic has quoted me the price of a new part from the nissan parts manual, and that the quote was lower due to the fact that he was filling to do a 5 minute job for less than the €75 qouted, and promptly hung up!

I also need to get new types in the next month or so, and had asked the €195 guy if his garage would install - I know I wont be going there now anyhow!

Can anyone tell me what is the price of 4 new tyres for a micra? I know a person I work with, with a much larger car, got a quote for €65 per tyre in Gorey, is this the norm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

You don't say which model Micra ?

If it's the newer one then you are unlikely to find in a breakers (but by all means try !). Cars being scrapped of that age are most likely damaged, and a very large percentage will have frontal damage. Also if breakers have a car with good front they will often only sell the front complete. Think of it ... the guy who needs a bonnet for example will most often want a bumper and the lights and radiator as well. Therefore they often will not sell the headlamp on it's own if the front is complete. If it's an older model then they won't be as worried about this.

Any local motor factor (not just micksgarage.ie) should be able to supply a non-Nissan but new headlamp at significant discount over the Nissan price. Most would have next working day if not in stock.

Advertisement