Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

something running in the background

• 15-01-2009 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Friends PC is slowing down there's spikes of full CPU usage and I can't figure out what it is. It looks like a virus but AVG if fully updated and the PCs been fully scanned a few times. It is set for automatic updates from windows, there's very little on he PC to cause problems.

The PC is running WinXP Pro SP3 and is mostly used for CAD work.

I've looked under processes and it's only system idle process that is causing the 100% usage spike.

When I get the chance I'm going to turn off services until it stops but are there any shortcuts to finding out what the problem is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

The system idle process is effectively a measure of how much of your CPU's potential is not being utilised by what you're running.

Download Process Explorer and see if that helps to identify what is actually causing the spike in CPU usage. If you can't work it out try showing the CPU time column and see what the total usage figures for each process look like after a couple of hours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

also check out the hard drive as this will slow down intermittantly on bad sectors

run hdtune a few times , you should get a spikey curve with a few blips
    if there are many dips then something is hogging the hard drive, you can also do a surface scan too while you are at it

windows also has a performance monitor built in where you can measure a Brazillian things, but procexp is much easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Blibs like these?

HDTune_Benchmark_Promise_10_Stripe_.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yes

but it only applies if the pc is idle
    if you have av scans or windows updates in the background they might be using the drive too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or oddly CD or other Autorun.

I've always had all autoruns off on everything since forever as part of my paranoid "spot attack vectors early" schema.

One particular MS patch turned it on. I was going scatty trying to figure why my laptop was suddenly accessing the HDD about once a second or so.

• Advertisement

yes

but it only applies if the pc is idle
    if you have av scans or windows updates in the background they might be using the drive too
    The PC was left on overnight, it's scan and updates are set for during lunch time.

It's weird because when ever I sit in front of it, it hangs for a few seconds but then it's fine and I can't see anything wrong with it. It hangs constantly for him.

run diagnostics on the drive perhaps

I ran a scan for damaged sectors using HD tune but it said the disk was fine.

at this stage perhaps run hijack this and post in the virus removal fromun http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

or run www.silentrunners.org
    Some expertise needed to interpret what it is telling you. However it's a technique that finds malware that AV vendors don't know about. Booting in safe mode and removing evil entries usually cleanses.

Note that some DELL supplied keyboard drivers appear flagged, but if you remove them you have no keyboard :) They arn't malware.

• Advertisement
Advertisement