Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant missed calls from private no.

• 15-01-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,

Hope this is in the right place.
    For the past few weeks I've been getting missed calls from a private number on a very regular basis. They never leave a message and the phone only rings for about a second so I can't answer even if I wanted to. It's now at the point where I'm receiving 15-20 calls a day and it's getting pretty annoying.
    I've contacted Meteor and they can't help.
    Has anyone had this problem or know why it might be happening?I had thought it might be cold callers but surely they would let the phone ring for longer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Pris wrote: »
    Hi,

Hope this is in the right place.
    For the past few weeks I've been getting missed calls from a private number on a very regular basis. They never leave a message and the phone only rings for about a second so I can't answer even if I wanted to. It's now at the point where I'm receiving 15-20 calls a day and it's getting pretty annoying.
    I've contacted Meteor and they can't help.
    Has anyone had this problem or know why it might be happening?I had thought it might be cold callers but surely they would let the phone ring for longer?

sounds like you have p*ssed someone off or have a "friend" who's not right in the head. Experienced the same before - and I was on Meteor at the time. They can and will do nothing. You may just have to change your number:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

You've not got a lot of options I'm afraid.

Either call the gardai, or change your number.

The networks can't do a thing unless the gardai are involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Sounds like the bank are after you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

I don't know if this will work but might be worth a try, setup your message minder as a complete silent tone, then turn off your phone and hope that whoever is calling gets caught out and unknown to them leave a message with them talking.

Another option if you have a nokia would be to setup everyone in your phone book as a group with your normal ring tone. Then any unknown numbers a silent tone. Not ideal but may help ease the annoyance a little.

3rd option, try and make friends with a meteor employee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ablelocks

when i was with chorus/upc, their calls to me were private, but quite often they'd call and then get disconnected, or I'd answer and wouldn't be able to hear them. it seemed to me that whatever system they were using couldn't/wouldn't connect. likewise it's happened twice with sky since I switched to them.

it most likely is cold callers, but 15-20 times a day is excessive even for them. maybe it's an automated system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Pris

Thanks for all the replies...I think I'm gonna change the number, annoying but necessary. I'm hoping it's just cold callers, had some problems last year after putting my number on an ad on Daft so might be something to do with that too. Fingers crossed this sorts it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Set-up your divert to divert to 999, if you can, when a private number comes in just divert it. I think the 999 service can read private numbers and may call them back if they keep ringing them.

Might work, might not...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Set-up your divert to divert to 999, if you can, when a private number comes in just divert it. I think the 999 service can read private numbers and may call them back if they keep ringing them.

Might work, might not...

It's a shocking waste of 999 resources if it does work, practically criminal. Please don't do this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Forward it to a Garda station instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement