Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student grant

• 15-01-2009 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Just wondering , seeing as course fees are free if I qualify for a Mature student grant, how can I then register with the college without paying my fees.
    I know how long grants take to materialise, would the college wait till I get proof of my grant or will I have to pay anyway and then apply for a refund?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Ell69 wrote: »
    Just wondering , seeing as course fees are free if I qualify for a Mature student grant, how can I then register with the college without paying my fees.
    I know how long grants take to materialise, would the college wait till I get proof of my grant or will I have to pay anyway and then apply for a refund?

I doing a masters currently awaiting my grant at the moment. Local authorities are god awfull slow so you will no doubt be also waiting quite a while should you apply.

Basically i had to pay the deposit to secure my place in DIT, about €300. Then had to show the registrar's office proof that i had APPLIED for the grant, not that i had recieved or was even entitled to it. Then and only then would they issue me my student card. Each college is diff of course so just check with them on the procedure. What I would say is that apply the second you get offered a place and have all the documents together. Even if you apply before the end of august (which is supposed to be the closing date) you will be waiting in all likelyhood a number of months before your grant gets approved.

Just out of interest, anyone else reading this thread applied for grants to tallaght VEC? Just wondering on waiting times, i applied mid october and was told recently that it would february before im looked at!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Thanks for that givvyjoe, thought as much. I'd better make sure Ive the deposit save up for registaration day then. Thanks again :rolleyes:

Advertisement