Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Cards & Moving abroad

Options
  • 15-01-2009 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Currently I have two credit cards, one MBNA, one Ulsterbank.

Hopefully I will be moving abroad in the coming months to the UK.

Just wondering does anyone know if it's possible to have these cards transferred to their respective UK companies? If so, is it difficult to get done?

Or,
    (Other than the obvious - always pay off your CC) Would I be better just paying them off here and applying again in the UK / applying when i get to the UK and transferring balances.

Any info greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

We did the opposite a few years ago (moved here from UK). There is no reason why you can't keep your existing cards and apply for new ones in the UK when you get settled. We kept a couple of UK cards and they come in handy now and then .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

me87_ie wrote: »
    Currently I have two credit cards, one MBNA, one Ulsterbank.

Hopefully I will be moving abroad in the coming months to the UK.

Just wondering does anyone know if it's possible to have these cards transferred to their respective UK companies? If so, is it difficult to get done?

Or,
    (Other than the obvious - always pay off your CC) Would I be better just paying them off here and applying again in the UK / applying when i get to the UK and transferring balances.

Any info greatly appreciated :)

If you use EUR demominated credit cards in the UK, you will get hit for about 2% in currency conversion fees for every transaction.

Get a card with Nationwide in the UK..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭me87_ie

Thats exactly the reason I'd want to change them... don't want to be getting hit with 2%, and don't want to be paying off euro amounts in sterling + the sending fee

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

If you use EUR demominated credit cards in the UK, you will get hit for about 2% in currency conversion fees for every transaction.

Get a card with Nationwide in the UK..

+1, infact id get all your banking done at nationwide.......lived in the uk for 13 years, just moved back.........i banked with lloyds tsb but i wanted to switch to nationwide (too lazy to change and was moving back anyway), they are more customer friendly and everyday charges are the lowest. Id expect that you would need at least 6 months history with a uk bank before you would be accepted for credit card application........keep your cards here but dont use them unless your stuck.

PS.......the trouble i had trying to get a debit card here was a joke, nobody would talk to me except halifax and i had cards within a week, the uk is not so strict......good luck.

Advertisement