Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB.Net vs C#

Options
  • 15-01-2009 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

My company has recently posted a vacancy for a VB.Net developer. It's early days yet, but interestingly, we've been getting applications from C# developers and none so far from VB developers (even though the job is advertised as VB.Net). Is there a shortage of VB.Net developers in the marketplace? What language are other .Net developers using?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

not really, its just that many .net developers do both as vb is ridiculously easy.. as such they don't hang their hat on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Mainly ive seen alot of C#, its what we use here. some of the legacy systems were designed in VB or asp. but everything has moved toward C#. And i know you advertised for a VB.net developer but do think it will be easier to get someone with more C# experience. Might be something to consider in your development of the products...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tickets.ie

nialo wrote: »
    And i know you advertised for a VB.net developer but do think it will be easier to get someone with more C# experience. Might be something to consider in your development of the products...

That's what I'm thinking - although all of our systems are VB.Net a changeover shouldn't cause too much of a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Not neccessary to do a changeover completely in one go. you could maintain back end dll's in vb.net and move the front end to c# less complicated to begin with then gradually move everything to c#. but its mainly a preference. what are colleges doing these days. think its c# over vb.net..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Realistically its the same Framework, the only difference is the implementation language.

It interops no problem even within the same solution.

Your house, your choice

• Advertisement
Advertisement