Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT question

Options
  • 15-01-2009 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

My Job have offered me the chance to start up an office in Northen ireland . it will only be 7 months but what i might do is buy a car up there
    and then reimport it into Ireland and then i wont have to pay the VRT hopefully

i have rented a room up here and i have will have utility bills in my name i will have my wages paid into my irish bank account but will be obviously withdrawing money in northern Ireland

if i go into the VRT office then after 7-8 months having the car in my name for 6 months in the UK can i get it on irish plates without paying the VRT ? will they look for proof that i worked in the UK ie lease utility bills etc?
    has anyone done this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Hi Ned

You can only do this Once.
    I think the Car has to be registered up there for 6 months though.

and once you bring it back down you cannot sell it for another 6 months.

If you are going to Buy something up there buy something worth your while. (6 Series, S Class, RS4, Evo X) or something like that... don't waste this 1 opportunity on a Mondeo or something fairly common

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭NedKelly

ah yeah i would by a newish 911 i currently have a 987
    do they ask u for bank statements etc ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Revenue know all the angles on this. Unless you are going physically to go up north full time, sell your house, pay UK tax, open bank a/c's, produce utility bills etc, they'll get their pound of VRT flesh.

Yep i will be up the north full time
    will have bills etc
    BUT i will have my wages paid into my BoI account (here)
    and just withdraw it up there
    i will still be employed by an irish company here in Dublin
    all my tax will be paid here
    what do they (revenue look for)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

grahambo wrote: »
    Hi Ned

If you are going to Buy something up there buy something worth your while. (6 Series, S Class, RS4, Evo X) or something like that... don't waste this 1 opportunity on a Mondeo or something fairly common

G

mis-information is freely available on the web isn't it !!

once your circumstances are legit you can bring as many cars as you like.

You will need to own the car for 6months, be resident in the UK ... not just renting a gaf up there .. they will need lots of paper proof. Plus you will have to hold on to the car for 12 months after import or else VRT will be due on the car.

Have a good look first to ensure that your legal status being in the north will allow you to import as VRT exempt.

• Advertisement

No ill only be renting up there ?
    i will have a lease though ?
    and i haev no probs hanging onto the car for 12 months or more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

grahambo wrote: »
    Hi Ned

G

why do people bother posting whats in their heads no matter how incorrect they are

you must own the car 6 months abroad

you must keep it for 1 year after the transfer of residence

you can only do this once every 5 years (transfer of residence)

you can bring in as many cars or bikes as you have, that are insured and taxed and registered to you or your spouse at that time, while the other above rules apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

hmm, why not just sell your banger ( though its not, common expression ) get up their, buy a car for next to nothing, when leaving and comming back to the bright side, buy yer mid life crisis car and then come back and rub it in our faces. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Will the fact that you're paying ROI income tax on a Euro salary not mean that you're liable for all ROI taxes rather than NI taxes (i.e. you won't be properly "resident" in NI)?

S.I.R wrote: »
    hmm, why not just sell your banger ( though its not, common expression ) get up their, buy a car for next to nothing, when leaving and comming back to the bright side, buy yer mid life crisis car and then come back and rub it in our faces. :confused:

ehhhh HUH ??

• Advertisement

AudiChris wrote: »
    Will the fact that you're paying ROI income tax on a Euro salary not mean that you're liable for all ROI taxes rather than NI taxes (i.e. you won't be properly "resident" in NI)?

thats what im trying to find out!!!

NedKelly wrote: »

Do you own a house in the republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mick4_2000

Your going to have issues with this.

you need to be a resident at least a Year but the car only needs to be in your name for 6 months. Also you would have to show them your National Insurance number (Like PPS number here) and lots of other documents.

I did this about 2 Months ago and handed in about 60 Pages of documents. Also they will ask for Pay Slips etc.

Get all the info here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/tax-relief-transfer-residence.html

Yes i have a house here the GF will be living in it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Have you actually contacted the Revenue or your accountant about this yet?

That would be my first port-of-call, rather than an anonymous website/forum.

Yes i have a house here the GF will be living in it though

Well this answers your question then.

You are an Irish resident .... no doubts

;)

I will have a lease with her
    makes it tax efficient

Advertisement