Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whale Dead in Courtmacsherry

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Ryanzo

Poor fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Svenolsen

Finding a new Capt'n Ahab for Moby Dick the Sequel shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Capt'n Ahap was Paranoid and Neurotic and there seems to be a good supply of those in Courtmacsherry and Kilbritten.

The guy with the Whale Jaw hidden in his shed sounds to me like the ideal candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 poppysquirrel

Svenolsen wrote: »
    Finding a new Capt'n Ahab for Moby Dick the Sequel shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Capt'n Ahap was Paranoid and Neurotic and there seems to be a good supply of those in Courtmacsherry and Kilbritten.

The guy with the Whale Jaw hidden in his shed sounds to me like the ideal candidate.

You'd want to watch what you're saying, insulting alot of people with that small minded remark. If kilbrittain and courtmcsherry are such neurotic and paranoid people, why you getting so involved in this thread. You seem to be taking huge interest in it and commenting alot. The topic here is about a whale, not some of your crappy film/movie fancies. SO i suggest you move your childish digs to the entertainment heading in boards.ie and let the adults to talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 poppysquirrel

dh0661 wrote: »
    From my own personal experience, I can confirm that there are alot of moby dicks in county Cork. :rolleyes:

Thats a good one coming from someone from Tralee! Again, this thread is about a whale, not your little hangups and jealousy over Cork! Stick to the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Svenolsen

So i suggest you move your childish digs to the entertainment heading in boards.ie .

My mistake.

I thought this WAS the entertainment heading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

Svenolsen wrote: »
    My mistake.

I thought this WAS the entertainment heading.

To be fair, I actually know the guy that you called paranoid and neurotic.
    That does seem to me to be a bit harsh and personal against him, and not simply entertainment.

In fact a recent incident with Johnathon Ross does come to mind.

Anyway, it can be all fun and games but don't be so harsh and demeaning to people you don't know about something you obviously don't care much, just because he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Thats a good one coming from someone from Tralee! Again, this thread is about a whale, not your little hangups and jealousy over Cork! Stick to the subject.

WTF are you on about ? and WTF has me bring from Tralee got to do with anything ?.
    Please note that I was the #2 post in this Thread and I have followed it since, so who do you think you are telling me to stick to subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

thank you for the pic , cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Is it completely gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Hello folks of Ireland. I am the "lady from America" that jetted in to conduct the autopsy. I have been following your posts with interest. I just wanted to clarify one factual error. My trip to Ireland to lead the dissection was paid for by Windfall Films. They are making a documentary for National Geographic and Channel 4.

Also, I am looking for very good quality still photos of the outside of the whale taken on Thursday or Friday before the whale became bloated and rolled over. when I arrived, the right side and back were hidden from my view. I was unable to asess some portions of the left side as well, due to premature removal of the flipper and some large strips of blubber on Sunday morning. I would like to know if any gashes/injuries/infections were present before an attempt was made to move the whale or strip the remaining blubber off the sides and back, and what these injuries looked like. I could see a series of parallel scratches that had some slight wiggles to them. I had supposed that they were from the whale being dragged, but it soulds like the movement was minimal (and over sand, not rocks) and therefore could not account for these long gashes. I would like to determine whether it was struck by a ship or initially stranded on rocks and got scraped up before re-stranding on the mudflats. If you have any good photos you wish to share with me, please send them to my gmail account: <joy.reidenberg@gmail.com>.

Sincere thanks,
    Joy Reidenberg, Ph.D.

Hi Joy
    Before anyone came out to the whale it had what looked like a graze running down the left side across one of the "flippers" It looked like it was caused by something rough. The pic attached is from the daily mail website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Longboard wrote: »
    Hi Joy
    Before anyone came out to the whale it had what looked like a graze running down the left side across one of the "flippers" It looked like it was caused by something rough.

Are those "grazes" his gills ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 USA-Whale-Lady

dh0661 wrote: »
    Are those "grazes" his gills ?.

Thanks for the picture, "Longboard".
    Regarding the above quote from "dh0661", please note that fin whales are mammals, not fish. Therefore, they do not have any gills. They breathe through blowholes at the top of the head, which are the nostrils of their nose. The white curved line behind her head connecting the eye region to the beginning of the flipper is a coloration mark in the skin. There are also some of the curvy white stripes farther back along the side, but they are not as distinct and hard to see in this photo. There is a long white scrape in the skin on her left flipper, which is hard to see. There were also some red scrape marks along her side, but they are not really visible in this photo. The scrape marks do not look deep enough to have caused any serious harm (they did not penetrate through the full thickness of the blubber layer, and would have healed if the whale lived). According to an eyewitness report from the fisherman who first saw the whale alive (Brian O'Donovan), the scrape marks on the left side were present while the whale was alive. I think they were caused by the whale originally stranding on rocks and then wriggling to get off the rocks. Some of the scrapes on the whale's right side are parallel curvy lines that appear to match swimming movements. I did not see any marks that indicated a serious impact from a ship strike.
    Sincerely,
    Joy Reidenberg

Thanks for the picture, "Longboard".
    Regarding the above quote from "dh0661", please note that fin whales are mammals, not fish. Therefore, they do not have any gills. They breathe through blowholes at the top of the head, which are the nostrils of their nose. The white curved line behind her head connecting the eye region to the beginning of the flipper is a coloration mark in the skin. There are also some of the curvy white stripes farther back along the side, but they are not as distinct and hard to see in this photo. There is a long white scrape in the skin on her left flipper, which is hard to see. There were also some red scrape marks along her side, but they are not really visible in this photo. The scrape marks do not look deep enough to have caused any serious harm (they did not penetrate through the full thickness of the blubber layer, and would have healed if the whale lived). According to an eyewitness report from the fisherman who first saw the whale alive (Brian O'Donovan), the scrape marks on the left side were present while the whale was alive. I think they were caused by the whale originally stranding on rocks and then wriggling to get off the rocks. Some of the scrapes on the whale's right side are parallel curvy lines that appear to match swimming movements. I did not see any marks that indicated a serious impact from a ship strike.
    Sincerely,
    Joy Reidenberg

I have close up pictures/videos of the left and right sides taken about 11 the first morning. I'll see if i can dig them up and send them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 USA-Whale-Lady

I have close up pictures/videos of the left and right sides taken about 11 the first morning. I'll see if i can dig them up and send them on.

That would be fantastic! Can you post them here, or do you want to send them to my gmail address, or mail them on a CD?
    gmail address: joy.reidenberg@gmail.com
    snail mail:
    Joy Reidenberg, Ph.D.,
    Center for Anatomy and Functional Morphology,
    Mail Box 1007,
    Mount Sinai School of Medicine,
    1 Gustave L. Levy Place,
    New York, NY
    10029-6574
    USA

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

Hi Joy
    Before anyone came out to the whale it had what looked like a graze running down the left side across one of the "flippers" It looked like it was caused by something rough. The pic attached is from the daily mail website.

Is that photo real?? I'm not doubting its the same whale and whatever, but it appears to be a different location to the one where the whale was washed up. Those caravans in the background are the other side of Courtmachserry.

Geansai wrote: »
    Is that photo real?? I'm not doubting its the same whale and whatever, but it appears to be a different location to the one where the whale was washed up. Those caravans in the background are the other side of Courtmachserry.

100%

Advertisement