Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How Loud is an Exhaust allowed to be?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There is no official legal standing on this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well there is, just not in Ireland :D

On German paperwork for example the (factory and EU approved) dezibel values for idle and drive-by are marked. Any exhaust (whether defective oraafter-market) that exceeds these values is therefore illegal.

German patrol cars also carry a decibel meter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

steve06 wrote: »
    There is no official legal standing on this yet.

Thank you Steve

Reason I'm asking is that I order a Blue Flame Exhaust for my Mo Mo (not knowing how loud it was) Anyway I heard a mate of a mates Blue Flame Exhaust and its way to loud.

I'm DEFO going to buy an exhaust Bung for it to quiet it down.
    I kinda want a gentle Purrrrr'ing noise rather than

RAAAAWWWRRR!

Thanks for your reply Guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

anything larger then 3" is sure to get you stopped...

" the quitest man in the room is the loudest man in the room " to quote the movie american gangster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Inversely proportional to your penis size.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Can I ask what car you're fitting it to? please don't tell me it's an old Jap hatchback or a levin or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Can I ask what car you're fitting it to? please don't tell me it's an old Jap hatchback or a levin or something...

with our luck it is.

nothing like hearing these things,

regardless of the gear there in the note never changes...

i nearly crash due ot my Roflmao'ing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

please don't tell me it's an old Jap hatchback or a levin or something...
    better than a polo or corsa isnt it?

Also, op why dont you get a decat for your car instead? If its a performance car, it will benefit for a decat and good airfiltre much much much better. Plus there would be a purr on low idles thats not loud and then a nice sound off the hi revs.

It's an Evolution V

It's pretty quick, I'm finishing paying for it this year (Hopefully) Gonna turn it into a Trackday car after that. :)

So I'm kinda getting it prepped but want to keep it road legal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Turbo?

• Advertisement

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    better than a polo or corsa isnt it?

Also, op why dont you get a decat for your car instead? If its a performance car, it will benefit for a decat and good airfiltre much much much better. Plus there would be a purr on low idles thats not loud and then a nice sound off the hi revs.

Well as I said in the Post above it's an EVO

its has a 2.5 inch exhaust as standard. but a full 3 inch turbo straight exhaust will be a lot better.

I was going to go Decat but I decided that Sports CAT just as good although A LOT more expensive. and it's more environmentally friendly etc etc

(turbo is standard, but hoping for FP-Green in the Summer time)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

would it pass an nct if you decat it? (maybe a stupid question, sorry if'tis)

Wossack wrote: »
    would it pass an nct if you decat it? (maybe a stupid question, sorry if'tis)

No chance

Although Evo's do have a SAS system which basically pumps Clean Air into the Exhaust manifold.

The Rally Car's uses this clean air to ignite fuel within the exhaust manifold (ECU Magic), the ignition within the manifold spools up the turbo quicker.
    Basically its Anti-Lag.

But the Clean Air pumped into the Manifold on Normal cars can reduce the Emissions level of the car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i had the blueflame system on my Evo 5 for 2 weeks graham, and took it off due to being way too loud!

its a 3 inch system from the manifold back including a decat, and i just couldnt live with it.
    turbo spool up was greatly increased but i swapped it for a HKS system that io loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

grahambo wrote: »
    Simple question :)

anyone have the answer?

Cheers
    G.

You'll want it this loud then...turn up volume

6 gears in 17 sec

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

as far as I can tell European Directive 2007/34/EC says 74dB(A) for cars - link

(CELEX number 32007L0034)

/edit think we're subject to these directives(?)
    /edit I thought it was a bit low, my motorbikes CoC has its idle sound levels at 91dB(A) :confused:

kceire wrote: »
    i had the blueflame system on my Evo 5 for 2 weeks graham, and took it off due to being way too loud!

its a 3 inch system from the manifold back including a decat, and i just couldnt live with it.
    turbo spool up was greatly increased but i swapped it for a HKS system that io loved.

2 weeks?

Hahaha! I'll see if I can best that!

I'll defo have to get a bung for t

Advertisement