Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Awards - Last Day to Vote!

Options
  • 15-01-2009 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,518 ✭✭✭✭

OK folks,

Time to vote on the best games of 2008.

The nominations have been counted, and the survey is up and running. Please go to the following URL to take the survey:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/gameawards.php

Some notes:
    1. You need to be a registered member of boards.ie and logged in to take the survey.
    2. Only 1 response per boards user will be counted towards the results.
    3. If you have any technical issues with the survey, please PM me - don't post to this thread.
    4. Results will be private until the survey has finished.
    5. Full results will be disclosed at the end of the survey (all answers for all questions) so you can see how things shaped up overall.
    6. The published results will be anonymous, so vote honestly!
    7. Survey will end Friday 23rd January, 2009 at midnight.

Thanks to CuLT for the backend integration, and Blitzkrieg and tman for their help with testing and proof-reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Cool, just voted.

I'm wondering though, you have Little Big Planet down 3 time for Game design of the year, each with different reasons behind why it deserves to be on the list. Why? If you get 1 vote for each time it's on the list is it going to be 3 votes for LBP, or just the 1 vote for each indiviual reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Done. If I'm right
    MGS4 and LBP
    are up for some good awards

Congrats to mario kart on the wii racing game award.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Done .

Different this year and well put together and well thought out .

Good work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

giggsy664 wrote: »
    Done. If I'm right
    MGS4 and LBP
    are up for some good awards

And I hope you are wrong about MGS4. That game deserves nothing but the biggest disappointment of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why is Left4Dead not there as a choice for Overall: Action/Adventure Game of the Year? I know its there in the main category (Overall: Overall Game of the Year), but it should be in this sub category as well.......it left me not voting in this category at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

because not enough people nominated it for that catagory

• Registered Users Posts: 55,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The way that category went, if it had been nominated once, it would have made the cut,

Well then I feel the nomination thread process is a little flawed, it should be there as You well know. Maybe there were just too many seperate nomination threads and the game got overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Well then I feel the nomination thread process is a little flawed, it should be there as You well know. Maybe there were just too many seperate nomination threads and the game got overlooked.

Although, if nobody actually nominated it, chances of it winning the category is minimal.

rizzla wrote: »
    Although, if nobody actually nominated it, chances of it winning the category is minimal.

Ok, so if it wins best overall game of the year (which it easily could, Boards has alot of L4D gamers who get together using the Boards.ie Steam group), is it not lame that its not even nominated in this category?

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Ok, so if it wins best overall game of the year (which it easily could, Boards has alot of L4D gamers who get together using the Boards.ie Steam group), is it not lame that its not even nominated in this category?

why?

What makes the best overall game

and the best action adventure title

are two completely different things.

Best overall game should be a game that appeals to people in numerous areas from story to gameplay to its online support and graphics to even the community that has developed around it.

While it should appeal to people in these areas it does not necessarily have to be the best in any individual aspect. Its the package as a whole.

Best Action adventure, its two main components would be gameplay and plot, an action adventure game is more often a single player experiance with an easy intuitive gameplay mechanic that is easy to pick hard to put down all tied up in some form of narrative (more commonly these days a cinematic one) to drives the player to finish the adventure.

Games nominated would have multiplayer aspects (GOW 2) or fantastic graphics (Prince of Persia) but they wouldnt have as much weight in this catagory then a game with fantastic single player gameplay and an appealling narrative to keep plugging away at it.

With this logic games like Gears and Metal Gear Solid are obvious nominations, while Left 4 Dead is less so. Its single player experiance is weak, its multiplayer is huge (hence its nomination for best multiplayer) it has attracted a large fan community, aestheticly its spot on but nowhere near the best and gameplay plays on a dime and brings a new online experiance.

Its nomination for best game makes sense, it tags alot of points and has won many people over.

But it is lacking in the two areas that make Action adventure games there own catagory (Strong single player gameplay and narrative)

That is a logical approach to it, and one I assume alot of people nominating took aswell, hence why no one nominated it in the action adventure catagory.

Its doing well in the Game of the Year and Online Game of the Year categories. Still 5 days of voting left to go, so anything could happen.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    But it is lacking in the two areas that make Action adventure games there own category (Strong single player gameplay and narrative).

Spot on. I got it last week and played some single player on it to get a feel for the game and controls before starting multiplayer. Its very good, but not brilliant.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    why?

What makes the best overall game

and the best action adventure title

are two completely different things.

Best overall game should be a game that appeals to people in numerous areas from story to gameplay to its online support and graphics to even the community that has developed around it.

While it should appeal to people in these areas it does not necessarily have to be the best in any individual aspect. Its the package as a whole.

Best Action adventure, its two main components would be gameplay and plot, an action adventure game is more often a single player experiance with an easy intuitive gameplay mechanic that is easy to pick hard to put down all tied up in some form of narrative (more commonly these days a cinematic one) to drives the player to finish the adventure.

Games nominated would have multiplayer aspects (GOW 2) or fantastic graphics (Prince of Persia) but they wouldnt have as much weight in this catagory then a game with fantastic single player gameplay and an appealling narrative to keep plugging away at it.

With this logic games like Gears and Metal Gear Solid are obvious nominations, while Left 4 Dead is less so. Its single player experiance is weak, its multiplayer is huge (hence its nomination for best multiplayer) it has attracted a large fan community, aestheticly its spot on but nowhere near the best and gameplay plays on a dime and brings a new online experiance.

Its nomination for best game makes sense, it tags alot of points and has won many people over.

But it is lacking in the two areas that make Action adventure games there own catagory (Strong single player gameplay and narrative)

That is a logical approach to it, and one I assume alot of people nominating took aswell, hence why no one nominated it in the action adventure catagory.

Well put, can understand the logic now. I'm a pc only gamer tho, have no consoles (kids have wii & ps2 but I don't play them), so I'm kind of limited to choices in most categories. There's nothing for me to vote for in this category and I mostly play these sort of games. In fact there were several of these games nominated that I outright hated

your not required to vote in every catagory.

Its not the lisbon treaty you wont be hanged for abstaining.

I myself didnt vote in any sports catagory simply because I havnt played any this year.

And I skipped half the Wii catagory because I only played two-three games this year.

Same with the PS3.

Last day to vote, folks. Results will be announced tonight after midnight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement