Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Size of Irish Illegal Cigarette Market

Options
  • 15-01-2009 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Seems to me there's a thriving black market in illegal cigarettes which have been smuggled into Ireland without the duty being paid. Discussed this recently with a number of associates and discovered that most of them (about 10) buy their ciggies from area dealers who operate with some sort of network system around the city. There must be a massive loss to revenue if the scale is so widespread as it seems to be.

Been told by a Glaswegian that some years ago, the Customs authorities in Glasgow counted the cigarette packets after a Rangers/Celtic game and discovered that 60% of the empty cig packets ( a van load ) picked up after the game were of the smuggled variety.

Soccer jokes and jibes aside, that is a shocking situation if true.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I suppose it's one benefit of the EU, free movement of goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I suppose it's one benefit of the EU, free movement of goods.

The EU does not exempt the payment of duty for people sellign goods. It's illegal.

Advertisement