Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline - "MMA is just streetfighting without bighting"

Options
  • 15-01-2009 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Mick Dowling is on Liveline talking about how MMA is far too violent and people have been killed and in ten years time lads fighting now won't know their own names. Talk of heads being pummelled and minimum protection and so on. There is a PR guy (Wayne McCullough maybe) trying to defend it but he's being shouted down by lads who used to watch it on TV.

Just in case you're missing it...

[Gah! can't believe I misspelled biting! Mods, save my blushes!]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Ignorance is bliss!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

The problem, as I see it, is that the ignorant are forming Joe's opinion and he's forming the opinion for the masses which can only have a negative impact for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Hilarious! Can somebody please ring in and set those plonkers straight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Scootay wrote: »
    The problem, as I see it, is that the ignorant are forming Joe's opinion and he's forming the opinion for the masses which can only have a negative impact for the sport.

That is the Joe Duffy show. That's all he does on every issue. The man should not have a radio programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

i love this lol

its funny to see that so many people are so biased towards the sport we love :(

**** em, more ufc tickets for us !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Scootay wrote: »
    Mick Dowling is on Liveline talking about how MMA is far too violent and people have been killed and in ten years time lads fighting now won't know their own names.

Mick Dowling the boxing guy? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭p to the e

i found a link to it. might need quick time for it but whatever. i was laughing my head off at the absolute ignorance

http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2009/pc/pod-v-150109-46m22s-liveline.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭mickmac

I wish I could see the funny side of that but its annoyed me more than kicking a table leg with cold feet.

ignorant, ignorant, ignorant muppets talking nonsense about something they don't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭testing_times

I cant believe the stuff these people are saying - why do people have such strong opinions about things they obviously don't understand.

i know i was laughing at the start because it was so ridiculous but in the end i was just really frustrated and it seems to me that joe duffy is completely biased and seems like he just downright hates it

• Advertisement

Just stupid.
    If these people just watched some of the behind the scenes stuff and understood what the fighters put into it.
    Ohh I can feel the blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Apparently it's even banned in America!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

This is quiet common for Joe duffy. Pick an controversial topic and he'll have it on his show, complete with crack pots.

All MMA fighters are just dogs in a cage.
    Good to see Ireland is finally catching up with the modern world.

and "why does the cage have to be so big? It's just awful Joe"

The elevator has stoped.

This show just makes Father Ted seem almost real - such characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Less than 30 seconds in, "they wear shorts"

Oh the f*cking horror!!!

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭mickmac

I never thought I'd say, think or type these words, but thank you Gerry Ryan.

I don't know if anyone heard it but he interviewed Marcus Davie and Wayne McCullough a few days ago in what was a decidedly less annoying and moron riddled piece. It calmed me right down anyway.

Here's the link.

http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2009/pc/pod-v-140109-28m20s-weeklyryan.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

"it's violent reputation has led to accusations of brutality and human cock fighting - have you ever seen humans fighting with their cocks? It's amazing"

That's brilliant :D Gave me a good laugh.
    Just finished listening to the whole piece. Thought it came across very, very well. Fair play to Gerry.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mine is like being hit by a truncheon, medics need to be on hand. *ahem*

Anyway, the key difference is that cock/dog/animal fights are not consensual. The animal didnt say "yeah, I want to train for years and fight other animals". Thats the bit that makes the difference.

DeV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement