Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio 1

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Sure, sure, sure.

Awful.

Dowling "These guys in ten years time won't even know their own names"

Duffy is a knob. The vulgarity of questioning a guy about whether he was getting paid by the UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Did anyone use the term "human c*ck fighting"??? I'm sure they did, they always do...

Anyways, when airsoft started to take off in Ireland we had to go through the same sh*te with this dipso. Had a bunch of moronic old women ringing in about how their child was shot to death by a bazooka and it's basically the same thing as an airsoft gun, bleh bleh bleh

I can't stand Joe or his f*cking show, it does nothing but promote ignorance. MORONS.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"And they wear shorts, so they do"

No sh!t Sherlock Joe.

"I don't look at it much, but I've seen teeth flying across the ring"

I can barely listen to any more of this podcast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

An File wrote: »
    "And they wear shorts, so they do"

No sh!t Sherlock Joe.

"I don't look at it much, but I've seen teeth flying across the ring"

I can barely listen to any more of this podcast...

I was nearly horse shouting at the radio earlier... had to leave the room. I don't think I could bear to listen to the podcast unless Dana White or Joe Rogan comes in at the end to "clear a few things up"...

Dave! wrote: »
    I was nearly horse shouting at the radio earlier... had to leave the room. I don't think I could bear to listen to the podcast unless Dana White or Joe Rogan comes in at the end to "clear a few things up"...

U want Dana and Rogan to go on a show run by a moron which runs misinformed anti UFC propeganda? Here ya go!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Just listened to the podcast and i can honestly say i'm shocked by the level of ignorence displayed by some of the callers. What's even more shocking is that RTE radio are giving these idiots a forum to express their ignorence! To think that taxpayers money is being spent on the national broadcaster allowing any old crackpot onto a show to spout off blatent lies and misinformation!

That 1st guy who called was quoting complete myth as fact. Wayne McCullough sounded like he was in disbelief when he first came on. Either that 1st lad is a complete f*ckwit or he has an agenda to get every uninformed listener up in arms against MMA in favour of boxing. It's no secret that boxing has lost a fair few followers and fighters to MMA so i wouldn't be surprised if he had an agenda!

The guy who was insulting Wayne McCullough came accross as an absolute jack*ss! I'd like to see him say those things to Wayne's face!

That Richie lad explained MMA better than anyone on the show. He was also one of the only pro MMA people Joe actually gave a chance to speak. That guy Willie (i think that's what his name was) gave a decent account as well, as did Ash Daly's da.

I found it quite funny that Joe was asking Ash the bash's da questions as if she was some novice fighter - "has her interest in the sport increased?" - maybe you should have googled her Joe, she's one of Europe's top female MMA fighters with an unbeaten record of 7-0 ffs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Just listened to the podcast and i can honestly say i'm shocked by the level of ignorence displayed by some of the callers

I dont know how can you be shocked if youve listen to Liveline before and given that UFC when though this for years and years in the 90s including from State officals. We are just stuck in a time wrap thats all.

rovert wrote: »
    I dont know how can you be shocked if youve listen to Liveline before and given that UFC when though this for years and years in the 90s including from State officals. We are just stuck in a time wrap thats all.

I generally would generally go out of my way to avoid listening to liveline to be honest. Only times i'd ever have to endure it is when my mam has it on in the house and i can't avoid being in the room - it's generally the kitchen with it being on around lunch time and all! Still, i had never heard ignorance of this level on it before.

Also, that clip of Joe Rogan arguing with the boxing promoter is gas, he f*ckin rips him apart! "How do you know i'm not a boxing fan, you don't even know me!", and "i don't own anything, i lease my car" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Dave! wrote: »
    lol Rogan would have teared em a new one had he came on... It was very disrespectful of Duffy to let that one caller insult Wayne the way he did. Wayne's done alot for Ireland and deserved better treatment imo. We really do have some idiots in this country..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I wrote a long piece but it disappeared. To sum up if you dont want to watch it turn it ****in off,or go down to your nearest MMA gym and see what its like. ****ing clowns cant stand the idiots in this backward country.

Edit: Joe: 'they use hands, elbows and legs to strike'. Have any of these people ever seen Muay Thai?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Just listened to the podcast and i can honestly say i'm shocked by the level of ignorence displayed by some of the callers. What's even more shocking is that RTE radio are giving these idiots a forum to express their ignorence! To think that taxpayers money is being spent on the national broadcaster allowing any old crackpot onto a show to spout off blatent lies and misinformation!
    Er.. that's what tabloid radio is all about.
    Lowest common denominator, rabble rousing.
    What kind of freak rings Joe Duffy to get something off their chest?
    It just so happens that this time the subject is something close to your heart is all.
    No different to any other day.

They only do it because they know they're going to get a reaction.
    Tbh it doesn't matter, what's the audience demographic for Liveline?
    I'd say you're better off ignoring it, don't bother calling in to 'defend' anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Mikel wrote: »
    It just so happens that this time the subject is something close to your heart is all.

I'd say you're better off ignoring it, don't bother calling in to 'defend' anything

I see where you're coming from but I disagree. Why should we put up with it? I dont want people to think when I tell them I do Mixed Martial Arts to think I go into a cage because I'm an animal and I beat another animal until one of us gets seriously injured. I rang liveline offices today and I was talking to Joe Duffy off air. He was completely ignorant, I won't go into the details on this forum but if you really want to know what he said you can PM me, he displayed as much knowledge as the man who started the arguement basically.

When did i say i was going to call in to 'defend anything'??:confused: In fact, I didn't even use the word defend in my entire post including the part you quoted. I will leave defending the sport of MMA to people who take part in it and know the intricacies of the sport better than I do - e.g. the fighters who got on to the show and did an excellent job explaining the what the sport is about.

The only reason people need to 'defend' the sport is because muppits are given a live radio forum to spout lies about the sport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Oh dear God. I am listening to this podcast and it is infuriating to think that someone at RTÉ Radio One allowed this bull**** to go out on the airwaves. The ignorance is just amazing. That ****ing idiot saying it is all on UFC.com about the 10 people who died. How the hell was he allowed on. The mind boggles. Wayne McCullough never had a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Oh dear God. I am listening to this podcast and it is infuriating to think that someone at RTÉ Radio One allowed this bull**** to go out on the airwaves. The ignorance is just amazing. That ****ing idiot saying it is all on UFC.com about the 10 people who died. How the hell was he allowed on. The mind boggles. Wayne McCullough never had a chance.

Reminds me of the old saying.. Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

darragh-k wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from but I disagree. Why should we put up with it? I dont want people to think when I tell them I do Mixed Martial Arts to think I go into a cage because I'm an animal and I beat another animal until one of us gets seriously injured. I rang liveline offices today and I was talking to Joe Duffy off air. He was completely ignorant, I won't go into the details on this forum but if you really want to know what he said you can PM me, he displayed as much knowledge as the man who started the arguement basically.
    Why do you care what they think?
    Why do you think Duffy knows anything about anything?
    He provides a forum for cranks, that's all. He's not interested in being educated or educating anyone else. His audience is cranks and people who like to listen and tut tut.

I understand why people are bothered but at the same time astonished at the naivety. Listen to the likes of Liveline on any OTHER issue you know anything about and you will hear the same ignorance and sh!t stirring.
    Again, that's his audience.

Even the serious issues are reduced to a mob baying for blood, so don't expect a non serious one like your chosen sport to be treated differently.
    When did i say i was going to call in to 'defend anything'?? In fact, I didn't even use the word defend in my entire post including the part you quoted. I will leave defending the sport of MMA to people who take part in it and know the intricacies of the sport better than I do - e.g. the fighters who got on to the show and did an excellent job explaining the what the sport is about.

The only reason people need to 'defend' the sport is because muppits are given a live radio forum to spout lies about the sport!
    The 'defend' wasn't directed at you in particular, but there were threads trying to rally callers into the show. Why bother?
    If you don't like what you hear turn it off.
    Otherwise, why not spend your life ringing in to Fox News to dispute their lies?

Just a hunch, but I reckon that the most vocal people and those trying to get on the radio are the more recent converts to the sport, those in the sport longer will probably have just shaken their heads and moved on.

When J Kavanagh was organising the first ROT a few years ago, the same thing happened, the same ignorance was spouted, and some people rang in to argue the case (including himself iirc). Where were they this time? Probably knew it was a waste of time and had better things to do than be shouted down or cut off by an ignorant fool.

On Monday someone else will be getting it in the neck and they will have forgotten all about you.
    It's a pain but it's the same for everyone else. It's lazy journalism and sensationalist, but most journalism is lazy and sensationalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Why do you care what they think?

See my former post: "I dont want people to think when I tell them I do Mixed Martial Arts to think I go into a cage because I'm an animal and I beat another animal until one of us gets seriously injured."

But at the end of the day, your point was that liveline and its listeners do this daily, and that is right, I guess its more annoying when its about the sport I do, its over now and there's nothing we can do about it anymore that hasn't already been done. I'm just shocked as to how many people stopped me Yesterday about it and I had to explain the whole thing to them but I guess at the end of the day that one debate won't set the sport back majorly, once tonight is over people may become slightly more educated on it and its onwards and upwards from there again:)

Advertisement