Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting signal but not able to connect to Internet

Options
  • 15-01-2009 3:42pm

Hi,
    A weird thing has been happening to my broadband connection for the last week or two.

My modem/router is on, and I'm getting full signal on my laptop (the usual stuff, status=connected, signal strength=excellent, etc.).

Anyways first off, I'd notice my signal strength drop through the floor, till basically it was stopped. It was no big deal, though, I'd just turn off the wireless from my laptop, wait a couple of seconds, and turn it back on. After that, I'd get full signal strength again for a bit till the process repeated itself.

Next, in the last day or two, my signal strength is coming in at full,etc., but when I open Firefox or IE, they won't connect to the internet. The only thing that seems to get it back going is to reboot the router. But it's happening with increasing frequency (and therefore very irritating).

Does anybody know what could be causing this issue?

BTW it's a netopia router.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Any other networks in the area, DECT cordless phones, microwaves etc?

Try changing the channel by at least 3 channels and see if that helps

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

What happens if you connect directly to the router with an ethernet cable?

Any other networks in the area, DECT cordless phones, microwaves etc?

Try changing the channel by at least 3 channels and see if that helps

MC

We have a cordless phone, but it's been there as long as we've had broadband and we've never had this issue before.

I don't have an ethernet cable, more's the pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

Is it a wireless router you're connecting too? If your internet connection is gone, you can still pickup a full signal to a wireless router but you won't be able to go on the net. Maybe get onto your ISP if this is the case.

Demeyes wrote: »
    Is it a wireless router you're connecting too?

Yes, it's a wireless router I'm connecting to.
    Demeyes wrote: »
    If your internet connection is gone, you can still pickup a full signal to a wireless router but you won't be able to go on the net. Maybe get onto your ISP if this is the case.

That's the problem in a nutshell. I may have to get on to my ISP, but I honestly didn't think it could be their problem, as I am getting a full valid signal from the router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What lights are on on the router? Green/Red/Flashing?

If your modem has lost sync with the exchange then no amount of messing about will make it reconnect without rebooting it (Turn it off and on), check that first, coz that will be exactly what the ISPs CSR will tell you.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

If you connect to the router, usually http://192.168.1.254

What does it tell you of the connection state?

You may well have a full signal but that is only your wireless connection to the router.

What lights are on on the router? Green/Red/Flashing?

If your modem has lost sync with the exchange then no amount of messing about will make it reconnect without rebooting it (Turn it off and on), check that first, coz that will be exactly what the ISPs CSR will tell you.

MC

My modem lights are all green, some flashing.

BNC wrote: »
    If you connect to the router, usually http://192.168.1.254

What does it tell you of the connection state?

You may well have a full signal but that is only your wireless connection to the router.

It's saying my status is connected.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

For God's sake get yourself an ethernet cable - it is essential to establish before you can do anything else whether the problem is your wireless or your basic connection to the isp.

dub45 wrote: »
    For God's sake get yourself an ethernet cable - it is essential to establish before you can do anything else whether the problem is your wireless or your basic connection to the isp.

Yep I'll pick one up. Which port in the router should I plug it into when I do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 mossyd

If it says you are connected, that usually means that your wireless is connected (pc to router). It is from there on your problem might be. (even though you have all green lights)

Make sure you are using the filter on both the router and the home phone .. this was the root cause of a similar prob for me before (hed it on the router, but not the phone)

filter = little connector that you plug into the wall and then plug your phone cable into it, leading on to the router / phone

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Yep I'll pick one up. Which port in the router should I plug it into when I do?

any of the 4 ports

Make sure you have your wireless off on the laptop too

Hi folks, Well, I've be "internet-less" for three days now, my service just got worse and worse and finally disappeared.

I called my ISP, who did a line check, and confirmed that there was something wrong with my line as opposed to the router.

An engineer is meant to be looking at it today - hopefully it'll all get sorted out. Will keep you posted. Thanks for all the helpful replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Hi folks, Well, I've be "internet-less" for three days now, my service just got worse and worse and finally disappeared.

I called my ISP, who did a line check, and confirmed that there was something wrong with my line as opposed to the router.

An engineer is meant to be looking at it today - hopefully it'll all get sorted out. Will keep you posted. Thanks for all the helpful replies!

Did they fix it?

Yep - a new modem was needed to sort the problem, which left us with several days without the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Yep - a new modem was needed to sort the problem, which left us with several days without the internet!

I just wanted to know because a lot of people tear their hair out with these things and sometimes have a long wait to get things fixed. Its nice to know you had a happy ending.smile.gif

Advertisement