Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Not showing up for the test?

Options
  • 15-01-2009 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

I've been learning to drive for the past year.
    The past few weeks has been very distressing for me. I was under extreme stress. Just returning to some sort of normalility now.

My test is due tomorrow. I forgot about it until today. I tried ringing rsa to cancel but cant get through.
    I'm not showing up tomorrow. Would this affect me later in the year whenever i apply again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Hi,

Firstly sorry to hear you have been having a rough time lately and hope it improves soon - some things are more important than a driving test!

As for the test, if you dont show up you just lose your money, you apply again and you go back on the waiting list. It will not have any 'bad mark' against you or anything for the next test. Obviously it will be in the system that you were a 'no show' but thats not a big deal.

At this stage even if you do get through to the RSA to cancel, you will still lose your money so it's more out of courtesy than anything else. You could just call into the test center itself if its close to you. Another option is if you have a fax machine send a fax with your details as that seems to get through, phone lines are notoriously bad. You could also try emailing them but again not usually good at responding.

Only other point is if there is any way at all that you feel able or up to to attempting the test tomorrow then I would try, even if you fail you will learn something from it. Only you can make that decision for yourself given the circumstances but dont 'not show' just cause you feel you havent had enough practice in the last few weeks.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do,

Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Señor Ding-Dong

Just going slightly off topic here but its impossible to get through to the RSA by phone at the moment. All this week I've rung numerous times and I'm constantly put on hold for 20 mins plus, then I usually just get pissed off and hang up. I tried to ring them twice today and the number was engaged?? It didn't even go to the usual answering machine. I've sent them an email aswell but got nothing back yet, is it usually this difficult to contact them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Buffman

I would say if at all posible go for it, if only for the experience. However, do not put yourself under any pressure.

If you can't attend then just email them at cancelmytest@rsa.ie , your fee is gone unfortunatley, but you could be doing someone else a favour by letting them take your slot. No need to go into details, just the 'Due to unforeseen circumstances.....' will do I'd say.

Anyway, best of luck if you do it.

Just going slightly off topic here but its impossible to get through to the RSA by phone at the moment. All this week I've rung numerous times and I'm constantly put on hold for 20 mins plus, then I usually just get pissed off and hang up. I tried to ring them twice today and the number was engaged?? It didn't even go to the usual answering machine. I've sent them an email aswell but got nothing back yet, is it usually this difficult to contact them?

They have a bit on their website saying Eircom lines are down in Mayo so the phones aren't working.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Have they gotten easier about cancellations now? My aunt cancelled hers due to some complications with her pregnancy, and the RSA asked for a letter from a doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Buffman

Gauge wrote: »
    Have they gotten easier about cancellations now? My aunt cancelled hers due to some complications with her pregnancy, and the RSA asked for a letter from a doctor.

If she cancelled with less than 10 days notice, they may have asked for the letter so the fee would not be forfeited.

Otherwise I've no idea?:confused:

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement