Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned Horse ???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

TommyT wrote: »
    As for the horse itself, he is certainly not underweight. He has put on a bit of weight since we took an interest in him and it seems that since he has been getting fresh drinking water everyday he is eating much more of the hay. But he is a sorry sight. He is manky, very wet and his skin isnt in great condition. In human terms he is like the local homeless guy. He is a sorry state, but I am sure he would be ok with the right care and attention.

Horses tend to grow extra long coats when they're wintered out and as a result some horses look awful when their coats are long and manes unkept (sometimes with tangles). There's a person I know who has an injured horse at the moment, and so didn't clip him for the winter. As a result his coat grew really long and makes him look unkempt and thinner than he actually is, even though he's stabled in a relaly warm barn and well fed and watered. It wasn't until he did his mane and put a rug on him that he started to look any way well cared for (even though he actually was).

That's not to mean that the horse near you isn't actually just 'shaggy', but winter coats certainly don't flatter horses.

Nonetheless, leaving a horse in a field with no access to water is definitely not a good thing. I don't suppose there are any streams in the field that the horse could have had access to instead of a bucket of water?

You mention there is a small hedge in the field. How tall is it? And is it thick or thin? And what's in it - ie, whitethorn or gorse, etc? It's actually surprising how much shelter even a 4' hedge can give to an animal, from all elements.

That said, though, the fact that your local SPCA isn't interested is quite surprising, especially as they pride themselves on being so animal welfare driven....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Completely OT but I actually like my horses in their "teddy bear costume". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We have been trying to sort a similar issue; a beautiful horse left alone with a ruined cottage for shelter, and low inadequate fencing that she all but leapt when spooked in a storm; that would have seen her with her leags broken as it is a sunken laneway.

ISPCA can do nothing, basically, and would need the Gardai. Old laws since 1911 seemingly.

Irish Horse Welfare - suggested the ISPCA:

As i think you already know.

BUT as I have done before I contacted the DEPt of Ag and they WILL investigate asap. Had a fast reply from them by email

Once before elesewhere when a man was not feeding his sheep - they had bald necks from trying to get their heads through the fence - and they arrived within three hours and dealt wonderfully with it all.

Well worth a try: they have Vet officers.

I emailed the main dept of ag site

Please God you get something done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭fits

EGAR wrote: »
    Completely OT but I actually like my horses in their "teddy bear costume". :D

To continue with the OT vein

My mare is in full teddy bear regalia this winter. Met someone while out hacking today and they asked me if I were going to a local competition and I answered, no, she's really not fit enough at the moment. Got the reply 'yeah, she looks a bit...' 'How long do you have her?' I answered 16 years, 'oh well she's quiet anyway :rolleyes: 'quiet' isnt a good thing round here evidently. This person obviously didnt witness me doing my 3 mile circuit sideways either...

Some people...:rolleyes: Yes there is actually quite a nice horse underneath all that fuzz...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Sorella, this is what I have posted as well (DVO = District Veterinary Office, subdivisions of the Dept of Agri). I have nothing but good things to say about the local DVO Vet re cruetly cases involving livestock.

• Advertisement

EGAR; thank you.

We were amazed at the speed and efficiency of the response from them.

This was the Midlands and we had emailed Dublin.

Three hours later, there they were.

They gave the farmer a rocket; made him fix his fences, and clearly kept an eye ion him as the sheep got sheared properly and at the right time that year.

We are having great problems with the farmer here, and his totally inadequte fencing, and the mere mention of the Dept of Ag terrifies them.

They seem to have more "clout" than any of the voluntary groups.
    EGAR wrote: »
    Sorella, this is what I have posted as well (DVO = District Veterinary Office, subdivisions of the Dept of Agri). I have nothing but good things to say about the local DVO Vet re cruetly cases involving livestock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Been taking food and water to the horse for the past couple of weeks, food consists of "haylage" as mentioned in an earlier post that I have been getting from a friend or bales of hay that I have been buying from a local farmer. Havent contacted the ISPCA or local council since my last post as its a waste of time.

Please; contact the Dept of Ag; read our posts.

This horse needs rescuing and the owner needs taking to task.

What you are doing is wonderful, but is not solving anything long term.
    If the owner finds out, he will move the horse to where you cannot help it.

The Dpt of Ag have ways that no one else has.

EGAR may have a better email address than I have;

But please mail them?

See
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/index.jsp?file=contact.xml

Send to the info address and head it Horse Welfare concerns. Believe u that this will get prompt official help for the horse and assure its future safety - and the safety of other livestock this man may have also.

It will not be a waste of time thus

Blessings....

TommyT wrote: »
    Been taking food and water to the horse for the past couple of weeks, food consists of "haylage" as mentioned in an earlier post that I have been getting from a friend or bales of hay that I have been buying from a local farmer. Havent contacted the ISPCA or local council since my last post as its a waste of time.

Advertisement