Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed issue with eircom 3Mb DSL

Options
  • 15-01-2009 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I'm kinda new to this and was wondering about changing from eircom to 3. Can I ask what does anyone thing of these speed I'm getting from eircom?

I'm getting 766 kbs on download and 316 kbs on upload. Is that really bad?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Geoffxx

1Barney wrote: »
    I'm kinda new to this and was wondering about changing from eircom to 3. Can I ask what does anyone thing of these speed I'm getting from eircom?

I'm getting 766 kbs on download and 316 kbs on upload. Is that really bad?:confused:

are you mad, swap you :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 1Barney

who's the best to change to?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

What speed are you paying for?

Post the line stats too for your router so any problems can be better diagnosed.

At this minute I'm getting 24.0 to 36.0 Mbps from the router and I'm paying for up to 3Mb with Eircom home plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

At this minute I'm getting 24.0 to 36.0 Mbps from the router and I'm paying for up to 3Mb with Eircom home plus

That's your LAN/Wifi speed, and has nothing to do with the broadband. If you're using Wifi, then a poor signal can impact on the broadband speed that you get.

Connect the router to your PC with an Ethernet cable, and do a speed test on www.speedtest.net. Post the result.

• Advertisement

this is what I got (pls see attached jpg)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This thread was copied off the Three thread in Midband, as it's more appropriate here.
    this is what I got (pls see attached jpg)

Your upload is about what you'd expect from 3M (384kbps max, but will never be that much), but your download is only about half. This is with a wired connection, right?

You could remove everything from all phone points in your house, except the DSL modem, then restart the modem, and run the test again. Equipment on your own line can sometimes cause speed issues.

Overall though, I would not consider switching from DSL to Three, unless the DSL stops altogether.

Advertisement