Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cigarette Lighter/Charger problem

Options
  • 15-01-2009 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 2002 ford focus and am having a problem charging my GPS because the cigarette lighter doesnt always work. I have to fidget around with the adapter for ages before it begins charging, and it's starting to wreck my head! I believe it's getting less and less reliable over time so I'd like to fix it.

Can this be easily done?

Also, if your brakes begin to squeak is that a sign that the pads need changing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Do you have a Garmin GPS? The reason I ask is that I have to fiddle around with mine on most cars to make it work. Might the problem be the nav rather than the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Anan1 wrote: »
    Do you have a Garmin GPS? The reason I ask is that I have to fiddle around with mine on most cars to make it work. Might the problem be the nav rather than the car?

Hi thanks for the reply, no I have a VDO Dayton (Siemens) Satnav. The charger that came with doesnt have a light on it to indicate that there's power so I use a Nokia car charger instead (the older style charger) but this is the same. The fidgeting is a bit easier because it does have a light...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

John_Mc wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the reply, no I have a VDO Dayton (Siemens) Satnav. The charger that came with doesnt have a light on it to indicate that there's power so I use a Nokia car charger instead (the older style charger) but this is the same. The fidgeting is a bit easier because it does have a light...

Are you 100% certain the Nokia charger is compatible with the Sat Nav?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

John_Mc wrote: »

I had a similar problem with a plug in phone kit in a Mondeo. I think the contacts on the charger wear away some of the contact patch in the lighter so it needs to be at a certain angle to work.

You could either replace the cigarette lighter unit (think the part is quite cheap), or if you have the Sat Nav constantly plugged in, hard wire the charger cable in to the electrics for the cigarette lighter.

Advertisement