Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Remedy?

Options
  • 15-01-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,
    First time posting in LL, don't know if this is the best place to post. Feel free to move it! By bf of 3 years just broke up with me. I had to move home as we were living together. I'm finding it hard to sleep and was wondering if anyone know of a good sleep remedy to help me relax instead of being in tears at all hours :( Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i found doing some exercise helped keep my mind off things & also wore me out so i was more tired when it came to sleeping. unfortunately the weather isnt really the best for going for long walks.. but maybe a big raincoat, an mp3 player & a long walk? or if theres a pool near you go for a swim? exercise can be very therapeutic & the endorphins help too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

sar84 wrote: »
    i found doing some exercise helped keep my mind off things & also wore me out so i was more tired when it came to sleeping. unfortunately the weather isnt really the best for going for long walks.. but maybe a big raincoat, an mp3 player & a long walk? or if theres a pool near you go for a swim? exercise can be very therapeutic & the endorphins help too :)

Beat me to it. Exercise will tire you out and help you sleep better. And as sar84 said, the endorphins will helo make you feel better and happier aswell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Hi,
    First time posting in LL, don't know if this is the best place to post. Feel free to move it! By bf of 3 years just broke up with me. I had to move home as we were living together. I'm finding it hard to sleep and was wondering if anyone know of a good sleep remedy to help me relax instead of being in tears at all hours :( Thanks

Apart from the exercise, which is a wise thing to do for all sorts of reasons, try to keep the temp in your room between 18-20 deg, and eat some carb rich food like a slice of toast or suchlike, before bed, with a warm milky drink.

Make sure your bed is comfortable, and that you are warm all over before trying to nod off, its impossible with cold feet. If you don't nod off in 30 mins, get up for a short while and do something, then try again.

Don't nap during the day if you can avoid it.

Hope the broken heart mends itself soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭holdmyhand?

bachs rescuse remedy is really good.... but maybe its just a mental thing....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

When I have trouble sleeping I take Piriton anti-alergy tablets.. Knock me right out.. I suffer with hayfever in the summer and I discovered that they also made me super drowsy.. although people will probably jump on me for suggesting a non-natural remedy.. They'd really be more of a quick fix than a long term solution obviously.. They're only about 4 quid in any pharmacy.. Otherwise I'd go with the excercise idea.. Anyway good luck.. Time heals all wounds..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Pinkster

Rescue remedy is good. Take B6 or B complex vitamins-They are so good for stress. Take eveing primrose too. There are natural remedies available in the health stores to help you sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I don't know if it's the warmth or what, but I find that I sleep better when I shower/take a bath at night before bed.

My old roommate also used to have one of those white noise machines -- it'd put her out like a light. I've never used one, but perhaps it's worth a try.

Good luck . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Nic'name

Passion flower is quite good they sell it in Holland and Barrett. Get the 1000mg ones and take 2 pills 2hours before bedtime (the instructions on the back are for people with anxiety/panic problemts). They don't make you drowsy but work in the sense that they calm your mind so good for stressful times. I find they stop you from going over things in your head.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

get valerian tablets, they are widely available, also have you tried lullaby milk?

http://www.ardrahancheese.ie/lullaby.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Poor thing, I discovered these wonderful things when I was in a very similar situation:
    http://www.superliving.co.uk/pharmacy/your-health/energy-stress-sleep/stress/kalms-tablets.html?Itemid=35

I personally don't believe in rescue remedy as it never worked for me. But these were recommended to me by my GP when I was going through an awful breakup after 4 years and having panic attacks. He said they are a good natural milder alternative to XanaX (which is awfully strong horrible stuff, but serves a purpose in extreme situations as a prescription only tranquilizer)

As for the BF and the tears, do everything you can to build yourself up right now. Get your hair done. Buy some new clothes. Walk down the busiest street in your nearest town and hold your head up high (you can if you try). Keep telling yourself that you are a lovely person and that everyone goes through this at some stage, you are getting it over with now!
    Cry when you have to but try not to let yourself seep too low. It will pass and you'll be stronger for it. Best of luck and sweet dreams.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ms. Crabapple

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll be trying to get more exercise from now on. I just didn't want to go down the whole route of having a few glasses of wine before sleep. I know it's a dangerous game!

As for him I think he's already regretting it .......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

I'd second the valarian root tablets, they work like a dream and you can pick them up in most healthfood shops. Make sure to get tablets though and not the tincture of valarian root as that stuff smells and tastes like poison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

similar situation myself, so hard as it was pulled myself up out of bed in the mornings and kept going to the gym ,before i knew it i had lost almost a stone! It really does wear you out! and youl feel so much better and look better :)

also retail therapy and treating yourself to a massage or getting manicure or hair done, or a spa day with friends are also great remedies to keep you busy and happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭CeilingCat

Chamomile tea just before bed always knocks me right out :) If I'm out of chamomile I have lemongrass tea, but chamomile works better.

I tried valerian root tablets years ago but while they did work, I was too groggy the next morning - valerian tea works quite well though.

I find that getting off the internet an hour or two before I want to sleep really helps, not sure why but I seem to need a while to wind down from it. Vigorous exercise too close to bedtime always hypes me up, but if I do yoga I sleep like a baby.

Have something high in tryptophan like turkey, eggs, cheese, in the evening, and then just before bed have something high in carbs like a slice of toast (doing it that way helps the tryptophan to be absorbed by the brain).

Also, if you take a calcium & magnesium supplement at all (they should be taken together really), have it right before bed, magnesium has a relaxing effect.

Advertisement