Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Driving regulations and ideas

Options
  • 15-01-2009 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭

First of all, Ireland has a terrible standard of driving. I did my test in the UK and conditions and training and testing are far superior to here.

Our roads are deplorable, and must be responsible for a huge percentage of accidents and deaths which is a shame for a country that has wasted its BILLIONS of EEC and "celtic tiger" money. Our government should be prosecuted for this appaling mess.

The fact that every morning every day at 11am about 1,000 Gardai are on overtime sitting in some court around Dublin wasting their training and our tax payers money, when they could be doing their jobs, we do not need more Gardai, we need them to be deployed in a better way. The courts service duplicate all the admin work the gardai do already.

I stood on the side of a busy road during the week and 1 out of every 3 cars was breaking some law, with no GARDA attention anywhere, driver on phone, driver eating, kids walking around car, lights broken, driver not looking, driver putting on makeup, reading newspaper, filing, what the F*ck is wrong with people.

In response to young drivers

Night-time curfew. drivers under 19 years of age.
    This is used in Oz and USA, you are exempt driving to or from work, it seems to work fine in those countries.

Alcohol
    A total ban. Zero reading. No excuses.

Drugs
    Proper drugs tests. Not sure what system they will implement here, the Oz lollipop that changes colour, or bloods at the side of the road.

Driving Lessons
    The German method, 50 hours of driver lessons before getting a provisional

A compulsary re-test every 10 years for everybody is greatly needed.

All Tesco stores and garages in association with the AA and RAC could participate in a new scheme whereby everytime you filled up in a garage a quick check was given of all your lights, the RAC or AA would be on hand to change and fit on the spot for a minimal charge,

It should be a mandatory legal requirement for your tyre pressures to be checked once a month.

All motorway slip roads should be fenced off to stop stop lunatics swerving accross the solid white lines into the fast lane, the M5 in the UK has the inside 2 lanes separate from the fast lane at busy junstions to stop this, spend 5 minutes on the M50 around the N7 junction to see what I mean.

Please let me know what else we can do to stop the madness on our roads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

+1

Post of the year!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

If you run for office, I'll vote for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Alcohol

While I agree with almost the entire post, the problem with a zero alcohol reading are products like mouth wash which leave a residual trace (no idea of the amount) of alcohol in the body, specifically with breathalysers. Blood tests would rule this out however I am not sure how practical that would be, specifically in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

All motorway slip roads should be fenced off to stop stop lunatics swerving accross the solid white lines into the fast lane, the M5 in the UK has the inside 2 lanes separate from the fast lane at busy junstions to stop this, spend 5 minutes on the M50 around the N7 junction to see what I mean.

tut tut

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

tut tut

haha :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

This is used in Oz and USA, you are exempt driving to or from work, it seems to work fine in those countries.

ageist make it sub 2 years with a full lisence and i'll agree but not ageisim

Alcohol

pointless but it could be halved with effect

zero tollerence on a low level is whats needed

Drugs
    Proper drugs tests. Not sure what system they will implement here, the Oz lollipop that changes colour, or bloods at the side of the road.

agreed there are a huge number of people driving around stoned or e-ed up or coked up

Driving Lessons

yup in school

don't think that a practical would help but a theory test would be a start no one seems to know how to indicate at roundabouts or join a motorway

All Tesco stores and garages in association with the AA and RAC could participate in a new scheme whereby everytime you filled up in a garage a quick check was given of all your lights, the RAC or AA would be on hand to change and fit on the spot for a minimal charge,

why tesco but yup

It should be a mandatory legal requirement for your tyre pressures to be checked once a month.
    its common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Our government should be prosecuted for this appaling mess
    1. They didn't elect themselves.

2. Even if they could be prosecuted and fined, guess who would pick up the tab!

All we need is enforcement of the existing regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

It's the overtaking lane!! :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I agree with most of what you have to say here. I'm sure there are alot of other things that can be added to this.

One thing that i have noticed recently is that some petrol stations have a place to check you lights now (not replace), its a long grubby looking mirror in the service area. I was pretty impressed with this, although i didnt see anybody using it. FYI - I had checked mine earlier in the day as i was prepping the car for NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A lot of that makes sense, but I disagree with the alcohol limit. There's no such thing as a zero limit, but proper enforcement of the current limits would be better. I have never even seen a drink driving checkpoint, let alone been stopped by one.

Limits on young people should actually be on new licence holders. If you're 30, and just learning to drive, what makes you any better than an 18 year old learning to drive?

One thing that really annoys me, is seeing children without seat belts on. Even worse than that, is seeing the parents in the same car, with their seat belts on. So it's not safe for you to drive without the belt, but you're happy to leave you child standing on the passenger seat? People like that should have their licence taken from them, if not their kids too. Enforcement would be as simple as putting a patrol car outside the schools, any day of the week. Yet, it never happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Tigger wrote: »
    zero tollerence on a low level is whats needed

Zero tolerance on the current limits would be a start. Detection levels are so low that playing with the limits is mere window dressing. The coroner on co. donegal has gone on the record and stated that it is not people marginally under or over the current limit who are dying, it is people miles over the limit. When we're effectively screening these out, we can consider changes to the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,002 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you have to say here. I'm sure there are alot of other things that can be added to this.

One thing that i have noticed recently is that some petrol stations have a place to check you lights now (not replace), its a long grubby looking mirror in the service area. I was pretty impressed with this, although i didnt see anybody using it. FYI - I had checked mine earlier in the day as i was prepping the car for NCT.

Those mirrors were in most Shell and are in a fair few Topaz stations. I'll admit to never using them though...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MYOB wrote: »
    Those mirrors were in most Shell and are in a fair few Topaz stations. I'll admit to never using them though...

Really, i have never seen them until recently. Normally i'd just get the missus to help out or the reflection from a window to check them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

1. They didn't elect themselves.

Actually in this country they might as well have.

Only in Ireland could the party who got the fewest votes get into power by forming a coalition. (but thats tomorrows rant)

2. Even if they could be prosecuted and fined, guess who would pick up the tab!

Too true.

I have an idea for this as well. The tribunals rant will follow

All we need is enforcement of the existing regulations.

I am in full agreement with ya.

This country could have been a model of excellence rivalling Scandanavian and Germanic standards, instead we have an ineffectual boys club with no foresight or balls or ability. F you Brian.

But they are probably useless at the petrol station if the garage doesn't stock replacement bulbs or if you dont have a set of spares in your car already

But thats where the RAC or AA come in. They always have members trying to sell policies in the UK at service stations and I have seen a few here at big supermarkets.
    tut tut
    bmcgrath wrote: »
    It's the overtaking lane!! :mad:

Sorry guys but I am referring to the Uk motorway M5 which is 3 lanes,
    I do mean the off side overtaking lane not the centre which is an overtaking lane as well. By refering to it as the fast lane everyone knows what I mean.

How brain dead do you have to be to come down a slip road and cut accross hatchings and go accross 3 "THREE" lanes, should be an automatic ban.
    jor el wrote: »
    Limits on young people should actually be on new licence holders. If you're 30, and just learning to drive, what makes you any better than an 18 year old learning to drive?

Agreed, only reason I mentioned the age is because curfew exists in Oz and USA now
    One thing that really annoys me, is seeing children without seat belts on. Even worse than that, is seeing the parents in the same car, with their seat belts on.

Completely agree, also parents who smoke with their kids in car should be shot

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you're 30, and just learning to drive, what makes you any better than an 18 year old learning to drive?
    18 year olds know it all and are invincible.

Young male drivers have the highest driving test pass rates yet they are the group most likely to die on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

don't think that a practical would help but a theory test would be a start

Absolutely. No reason why a theory test could not be required every 10 years. A road test could also then be required of anyone who didn't perform well in the theory test. In this day and age simulator tests must also be possible, for learners they should not be allowed proceed to the road test until they do well in simulator. For 10 year renewals a road test could be given to anyone not performing well in a simulator.

Much of the rest is simply down to enforcement. For instance, you could erect a camera at a sliproad and identify those cutting across lanes both entering and leaving.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Much of the rest is simply down to enforcement. For instance, you could erect a camera at a sliproad and identify those cutting across lanes both entering and leaving.

This is a great idea. I would love to see the accident statistic reports.

Also why are artic trucks still using the overtaking lane on motorways, why is there no Garda presence watching the dangerous trucks coming through Lucan N4 (foxhunter to the Spa hotel).

• Registered Users Posts: 69,002 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Foxhunter to Spa Hotel is a DC where trucks are allowed in the outer lane..

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Foxhunter to Spa Hotel is a DC where trucks are allowed in the outer lane..

Yeah I know that. Anyone who drives this daily knows how dangerous the trucks drive along it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

Yes, OP you make some very valid points. One thing I have a problem is Provisional drivers are not allowed on the motorways but once they complete their driving test which has no actual motorway driving they are suddenly allowed hop on the motorways and act like morons.

Also, Irish drivers are very bad at leaving large gaps between cars when the lights go green, this may not seem like a big problem but if people could just pull off in good time, traffic could be reduced a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ordinary_story

Great post OP
    I'm surprised that this thread has gotten so far in this forum without squabbling breaking out over some insignificant point:D

A theory test every 10 years is a brilliant isea and one I cant see too much difficulty in implementing. The RSA seem to be doing a better job lately despite their frustrations with Garda enforcement.

Another thing I could see helping is some further recognition of the advanced driving courses. At the minute there is no incentive from most insurance companies.

Overall I think the most efficent way to improve our driving in this country is to improve garda enforcement, there just simply isnt enough. e.g. Peoples attitude to 80KPH and 50KPH zones seems to be not to slow down because there will be no body checking.
    How many people actually know what speed limit they are driving through, its obviously not many because every time there is a garda checking speed anywhere the majority of cars will break when they see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

Overall I think the most efficent way to improve our driving in this country is to improve garda enforcement, there just simply isnt enough. e.g. Peoples attitude to 80KPH and 50KPH zones seems to be not to slow down because there will be no body checking.
    How many people actually know what speed limit they are driving through, its obviously not many because every time there is a garda checking speed anywhere the majority of cars will break when they see it.

I don't think going over the speed limit is the problem (within reason) its peoples bad habits and there lack of education on how to drive that is the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Honestly, I think there are enough rules already and nothing like enough enforcement. I've been driving over here for 8 years, and before that have experience in many other countries, and on almost every journey I drive there's someone breaking the law.

In the UK they introduced an automatic number plate recognition system in most police cars which has massively improved detection of law-breakers (no tax, no test, stolen car etc). That'd be my first recommendation for here.

My second would be to position trainee Gardai next to bus lanes and at all motorway junctions. The money raised in fines would be enormous if my regular routes are anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ordinary_story

j2dab wrote: »
    I don't think going over the speed limit is the problem (within reason) its peoples bad habits and there lack of education on how to drive that is the issue

The speed limits were just an example, I have no problem with people driving as fast as they want if the conditions are right, However, 50KPH speed limits should always be observed but when was the last time you seen a Garda checking one of these.

Its peoples bad habits that are exactly the reason we need more enforcement. How many people do you know that still drive with their hands in the 10 to 2 position? Thats probably the first thing people stop doing when they get their full licence but what about all the others, observing signs, checking your mirrors, coasting?

Most people get into their cars and cant imagine ever being involved in an accident and therefor some drive like complete twats, they might'nt be thinking about their own safety or others but if they were realistically afraid of losing their licence then it might disuade them.

The reason I did my advanced course was because I used to drive huge milage and after loads of very close shaves and a couple of accidents I finally realised how vulnerable I was, and how important all those stupid little things that were drilled into you before the test actually were.

Yes, OP you make some very valid points. One thing I have a problem is Provisional drivers are not allowed on the motorways but once they complete their driving test which has no actual motorway driving they are suddenly allowed hop on the motorways and act like morons.

Totally agree, mandatory motorway element in test to go with my original post
    Driving Lessons
    Also, Irish drivers are very bad at leaving large gaps between cars when the lights go green, this may not seem like a big problem but if people could just pull off in good time, traffic could be reduced a lot.

Very true, the majority just do not know how to drive properly
    Great post OP

A theory test every 10 years is a brilliant isea and one I cant see too much difficulty in implementing.

Another thing I could see helping is some further recognition of the advanced driving courses.

Excellent points all round here

Comes back to people just cannot drive properly
    ITDept wrote: »
    Honestly, I think there are enough rules already and nothing like enough enforcement. I've been driving over here for 8 years, and before that have experience in many other countries, and on almost every journey I drive there's someone breaking the law.

In the UK they introduced an automatic number plate recognition system in most police cars which has massively improved detection of law-breakers (no tax, no test, stolen car etc). That'd be my first recommendation for here.

My second would be to position trainee Gardai next to bus lanes and at all motorway junctions. The money raised in fines would be enormous if my regular routes are anything to go by.

More great ideas, Brian Cowen are you listening
    I have no problem with people driving as fast as they want if the conditions are right

Agree

Most people get into their cars and cant imagine ever being involved in an accident and therefor some drive like complete twats, they might'nt be thinking about their own safety or others but if they were realistically afraid of losing their licence then it might disuade them.

This is very true, otherwise people on the M4 from Kilcock to Lucan wouldn't drive up each others arses at 80MPH in the F*cking rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Alcohol

I can't agree with that. I really think the old system where a Garda had to suspect you were drunk before breathalising you was better. I don't advocate drink driving but getting caught the next day worries me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 southie

totally agree with you and make it mandatory for anyone that gets a driving ban to resit their driving test again. Bring them back to learner status again. dont know why this isnt done already. would definately be a deterrent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

First of all, Ireland has a terrible standard of driving. I did my test in the UK and conditions and training and testing are far superior to here.

Our roads are deplorable, and must be responsible for a huge percentage of accidents and deaths which is a shame for a country that has wasted its BILLIONS of EEC and "celtic tiger" money. Our government should be prosecuted for this appaling mess.

The fact that every morning every day at 11am about 1,000 Gardai are on overtime sitting in some court around Dublin wasting their training and our tax payers money, when they could be doing their jobs, we do not need more Gardai, we need them to be deployed in a better way. The courts service duplicate all the admin work the gardai do already.

I stood on the side of a busy road during the week and 1 out of every 3 cars was breaking some law, with no GARDA attention anywhere, driver on phone, driver eating, kids walking around car, lights broken, driver not looking, driver putting on makeup, reading newspaper, filing, what the F*ck is wrong with people.

Alcohol

Drugs

Driving Lessons

That is indeed the posting of the year so far. And no, not too harsh, just right. I have lived here in Luxembourg for the last two years and let me tell you that they have many rules and regulations here just like the ones proposed in this posting. Firthermore Luxembourgish radio news bulletins on Sunday mornings are not reporting "an group of teenagers were killed last night on their way home from a night out" That is what Irish news is always filled with on the radio every Sunday/ Weekend.

All "modifications" have to be approved and you pay a levy for things like bigger exhausts and lowering and "tuning" as they call it here. My mother is a driving instructor back home and my father runs a garage business and there are many unnecessary accident repairs he has had to make over the years due to people's carelessness towards other road users. The Irish licensing thing is also a big issue. The test is not detailed enough at all for the modern day world.

I never had any problems whilst driving in the UK and extensively all around London and Northern Ireland. It is only while in Ireland I clocked up "points". What a good job I have a UK licence that is as clean as the day it was laminated. The most ridiculous and useless situation exists in Ireland with Gardai stopping me in my own car in a UK reg coming off the ferry and radio-ing to see if it was stolen - A nice welcome back to the country in 04 eh? Keystone Cops.

Advertisement