Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Driving regulations and ideas

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

S.I.R wrote: »
    night curfew i agree with but tbh, i cant live without my license, i have to be able to drive to jobs.... if they take my prov... im out of a job more or less.

and thats just scummy, grantted i know 70%+ of irish drivers Shouldn't have their license, i believe ive earned mine.

Good lad! :rolleyes: Why drop the word prov so casually ? Trying to get a rise out of people. You earned it by doing a DTT and getting a couple of passport photos printed??? I hope ClioV6 is right and you don't drive because I'd hate to think I share the road with someone who failed pass the last stage of evolution,never mind the "driving test"
    ClioV6 wrote: »
    No, common sense and survival in most cases is to exceed the speed limit to overtake.

Indeed, a quick and swift manouver no harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i cant live without my license, i have to be able to drive to jobs.... if they take my prov... im out of a job more or less.......

......... i believe ive earned mine.
    A Provisional Licence/Learner Permit is granted to allow you to access public roads for the purposes of learning to drive. It is not a general driving licence. If you require a driving licence to do you job, you shouldn't be in the job in the first place as you don't legally meet the requirements for it.

And how have you 'earned' it?
    why, ive worked , hard, played by the rules
    How have you played by the rules? Unless you are driving a moped, motorcycle or tractor, you are legally required to be accompanied while driving on public roads.
    Don't for get that situation in the 1980's when everybody that was on a second provisional was automatically give a full license because of the long waiting times for a test
    Another incorrect urban myth that's trotted out here from time to time.
    ahmed89 wrote: »
    im just saying its not fair for me and for other 19s who have thier full licence to have a night curfew while there are people in there 30s and 40s who still dont have a full licence and allowed to drive any time they want
    You are 19 and are statistically in the group that are most likely to die on our roads.

Those who are in their 30s or 40s, despite the fact that the may be learners, are statistically much safer. People generally get wiser as they get older and that is why insurance is much cheaper regardless of whether they have a full licence or learner permit. When I was you age I thought I was invincible - now I'm the complete opposite and aware that I may be killed any day now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

A Provisional Licence/Learner Permit is granted to allow you to access public roads for the purposes of learning to drive. It is not a general driving licence.

Those who are in their 30s or 40s, despite the fact that the may be learners, are statistically much safer. People generally get wiser as they get older and that is why insurance is much cheaper regardless of whether they have a full licence or learner permit. When I was you age I thought I was invincible - now I'm the complete opposite and aware that I may be killed any day now.

This is the main reason I posted the OP

As a biker (ex London courier) and someone with 20 years + driving experience with all licenses, you learn to read the road way ahead and all around you, the majority of drivers here haven't got a clue whats around them, thats why people speed in the rain and fog on motorways. One slip up and 40 cars can be taken out.

We all thought we were invincible and that we knew everything at 19 but the truth is we knew f*ckall.

Each death costs around 1 million Euro and has terrible consequences for family and friends, and the majority of accidents are down to people making stupid instant decisions.

I think people really need to be shown death for it to sink in, to see what can happen to a body in miliseconds, we need to do something, our government are incapable of doing it for us.

As a biker (ex London courier) and someone with 20 years + driving experience with all licenses, you learn to read the road way ahead and all around you, the majority of drivers here haven't got a clue whats around them, thats why people speed in the rain and fog on motorways. One slip up and 40 cars can be taken out.

We all thought we were invincible and that we knew everything at 19 but the truth is we knew f*ckall
    I also have over 20 years experience and have a full driving licence in all 14 categories and have never been involved in an accident that was my fault (rear-ended twice) yet I wouldn't consider myself to be a good driver. I'm still gaining experience and learning every day.

I'm always amazed when people say that they are a good driver as they are usually young males and have only ever driven one type of vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Also why are artic trucks still using the overtaking lane on motorways, why is there no Garda presence watching the dangerous trucks coming through Lucan N4 (foxhunter to the Spa hotel).

Trucks should be allowed to use the overtaking lane on two lane roads just like on European roads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

I went through the New Zealand graduated system and have my full NZ license (unfortunately, this cannot be swapped for an Irish license as an Australian/EU one can so I have to go through the entire process here again :().
    One good thing they did in New Zealand, in my opinion, was to encourage people to do a defensive driving course.
    There was some time taken off the restricted license stage for doing so (I was over 25 at the time so it actually was only a 3 month wait until I could sit for the full license test, younger than this and the wait time goes down to 1 year). While I took the course seriously, I found it invaluable.

General lack of respect for speed limits too is a problem (I get overtaken in a 50 zone several times per week when doing the legal speed limit). An example I can think of is of an Irishman I know being given a speeding ticket for doing "ONLY" 15km/h over the speed limit in Australia, and the Australian he was talking to thinking that was justified and horrified they'd even consider doing that (general population - some still think it OK to speed downunder unfortunately).

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Trucks should be allowed to use the overtaking lane on two lane roads just like on European roads

Trucks are supposedly limited to 55mph or 73kph.

It is illegal for them to use overtaking lane on motorways though anyone who drives on M4 will tell you different. Of course no Garda action on this. Their was a fatality on the M4 last year, one truck breaking the law overtaking another. Closed the road down for most of the day, could have been prevented easily enough.

Cars and jeeps and trucks towing trailers are limited to 100kph though anyone who drives on M4 will tell you different as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

I also have over 20 years experience and have a full driving licence in all 14 categories and have never been involved in an accident that was my fault (rear-ended twice) yet I wouldn't consider myself to be a good driver. I'm still gaining experience and learning every day.

I'm always amazed when people say that they are a good driver as they are usually young males and have only ever driven one type of vehicle.

What started as a good thread, has now turned into a me me thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

You have to marvel at the way the people's concept of the ROTR seem to collapse with the introduction of torrential rain, snow, ice, fog or anything outside of their safety zone. IMHO, you see even worse driving during these conditions, they really lose all grasp on what they are doing. Hogging the outside lane, tailgating in groups of 6, no indicators, needless braking every 5secs, it's mental.

The worst is the fog light group (you know who you are) who drive around with Fogs on all the time. That doesn't bother me, but when it's Foggy or viewing conditions are bad I'm fecking positive these are the same spanners who don't turn their rear Fogs on, making their vehicles difficult to spot from anything over 50 yards away. :eek:

Driving: a person is smart, but people are dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you have to say here. I'm sure there are alot of other things that can be added to this.

One thing that i have noticed recently is that some petrol stations have a place to check you lights now (not replace), its a long grubby looking mirror in the service area. I was pretty impressed with this, although i didnt see anybody using it. FYI - I had checked mine earlier in the day as i was prepping the car for NCT.
    Deadly! I've never paid them much attention and didn't realise that they are for checking your lights! Thats nifty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

It is illegal for them to use overtaking lane on motorways though anyone who drives on M4 will tell you different. Of course no Garda action on this. Their was a fatality on the M4 last year, one truck breaking the law overtaking another. Closed the road down for most of the day, could have been prevented easily enough.

Cars and jeeps and trucks towing trailers are limited to 100kph though anyone who drives on M4 will tell you different as well.

I understand that it is illegal but I can't understand why not. Consider this - I HGV driver is driving to Cork with a load and is stuck behind a slow moving driver (50kmph) on the two lane motorway. He can't overtake because its illegal but once he passes through Abbeyleix and onto a single carriageway he is now allowed to pass. Surely this is a more dangerous manoeuvre?

Europe allows HGV drivers to drive in the second lane and at 90kmph,here its 80kmph.

Savman wrote: »
    You have to marvel at the way the people's concept of the ROTR seem to collapse with the introduction of torrential rain, snow, ice, fog or anything outside of their safety zone. IMHO, you see even worse driving during these conditions, they really lose all grasp on what they are doing. Hogging the outside lane, tailgating in groups of 6, no indicators, needless braking every 5secs, it's mental.

They really have no idea
    The worst is the fog light group (you know who you are) who drive around with Fogs on all the time. That doesn't bother me, but when it's Foggy or viewing conditions are bad I'm fecking positive these are the same spanners who don't turn their rear Fogs on, making their vehicles difficult to spot from anything over 50 yards away. :eek:

They think it looks cool
    Driving: a person is smart, but people are dumb.

very true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

I think that the new drivin regulations on learners are too far, but if they wanted to stop young road drivers dying on the roads, just ban provional drivers and people with less than 2 yrs on their full license from making modifications to their cars and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

cars under 99km/h or 100bhp banned from the inside lane of the m50, sick of being held up by puntos and starlets that force me to undertake

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

freyners wrote: »
    I think that the new drivin regulations on learners are too far, but if they wanted to stop young road drivers dying on the roads, just ban provional drivers and people with less than 2 yrs on their full license from making modifications to their cars and see what happens

well id just say ban them from shíte lookin jap imports with big exhausts and ban any kind of performance tweaking, they can paint it how they want, just not tweak how the car runs

• Registered Users Posts: 69,002 ✭✭✭✭L1011

freyners wrote: »

You can buy cars which are essentially "factory modified" both for speed and looks, even at the cheap second-hand hatch end of the market (Toyota Glanza, MG ZR, etc). Would have zero effect other than possible improving the general aesthetics of cars as dodgy aftermarket spoilers disappear...

The legal limit is 80kph (50mph) but the limiter is usually set at 85kph (53mph).
    It is illegal for them to use overtaking lane on motorways
    Only when the motorway speed limit is 100kph or 120 kph.

Where the limit is 80kph or less, they may use either lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Laura C xxx

hey does anyone know if there are new questions on 2009s driver theory test? :eek: ... HAVE mine on Tuesday but don't know will there be new q's?

HELP aaah:eek::eek::eek::eek::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

hey does anyone know if there are new questions on 2009s driver theory test? :eek: ... HAVE mine on Tuesday but don't know will there be new q's?

HELP aaah:eek::eek::eek::eek::P
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=909

Advertisement