Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mold Removal

• 15-01-2009 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there,

I am living in a relatively new converted apt. (3 years) which is in a very old building.

One wall of the apt. is developing small circular mold, densely patterned on lower part of wall and becoming more sparse on higher parts of wall.

The mold is worst around the window sills and particularly bad in the en-suite which has no window.

I have a fear that there might be a leak somewhere in wall between the en-suite and main bathroom.

A few questions:
    1. Who would be the most appropriate person to contact in order to investigate this?
    2. What is the most appropriate method of removing mold?
    3. Is a dehumidifier recommendable, if so what brand, model is best?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Does your en-suite have a ventilator fan since it has no windows? If it doesn't, then I would guess that is your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rossie08

Yeah sounds more like a condensation problem rather than a leak, open windows at least once a day, what floor in the apt block are you on. The management company are responsible for all external walls in apt blocks. You will probably find that its a north facing wall as well and this is going to be the coldest wall in the apt so it will attract condensation and damp. you might request the mgt company to install an additional room vent to help ease this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 i_ate_cats

ART6 wrote: »
    Does your en-suite have a ventilator fan since it has no windows? If it doesn't, then I would guess that is your problem.

It has a ventilation fan, I suspect it may not be powerful enough for the room, the ceilings of the apt. are quite high.

Will get onto the management company and see if they can assist.

Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

You can also get mould resistant paint when it comes to repainting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

i_ate_cats wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am living in a relatively new converted apt. (3 years) which is in a very old building.

One wall of the apt. is developing small circular mold, densely patterned on lower part of wall and becoming more sparse on higher parts of wall.

The mold is worst around the window sills and particularly bad in the en-suite which has no window.

I have a fear that there might be a leak somewhere in wall between the en-suite and main bathroom.

A few questions:
    1. Who would be the most appropriate person to contact in order to investigate this?
    2. What is the most appropriate method of removing mold?
    3. Is a dehumidifier recommendable, if so what brand, model is best?

Thanks in advance.

i have the same problem with my apartment. what i thought was mould was actually condensation. i contacted the management company and was told i must leave the window open at ALL times!!! this is my bedroon FFS!
    surely there is an easier, and warmer way to prevent it!?
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 rossie08

do you have a vent in the room, is it set open also on most new windows you will find a little vent hatch at the top of them this could help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mold Busters

Hi there. Have you managed to get rid of mould?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Historics

I have brown mould on the interior walls comprised of 600mm. stone and rough white plaster interior. How can I get rid of it. Its every where. Lack of venting and rising dampness seem to be the issue. Will I be able to get rid of the spores?

Thanks. We have lots of different mold in different places in the castle. Some black, red, orange, brown. Some growing mushrooms on the floor. Also lots of condensation, buckets of it, even without heating the castle rooms. How about a remedy that is aimed at the source?

The mold is still there in its many forms. Brown mold. Black mold. Yellow mold and mushrooms growing on the floor in the kitchen. Since its a castle I'm sure that it must be related to the dry lining that was installed or the new stone walls in the kitchen. What do you suggest?

quote=Mold Busters;60652862]Hi there. Have you managed to get rid of mould?[/Quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Use wash of dilute bleach (1:6 ratio with water) to clear/kill mould. There are also spray bottle products available, most big supermarkets.

Increase permanent ventilation even if it means keeping a window somewhere open all the time.

In cold weather, keep steady level of heat on for longer periods - avoid big temperature changes over 24 hr period. So long, lower temps better than short bursts of heat.

I use dehumidifier to great effect. See Argos for products. I have had Ebac and present one is De Longi. Go for bigger one as boring to keep emptying smaller collector tank. It stays on all winter, bit like a fridge. I would empty 6 litres every few days. Surprising to see it accumulate so quickly.

Apart from showers there are many sources of moisture in a normal home such as cooking (cover pots, simmer, use extractor). Bedding absorbs a lot as we sleep so air well during day. Avoid drying clothes indoors.

For reasons of good health, it is important to address any issues of mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

HG make an excellent Mold remover. you can find it in most hardware shops.

Great stuff.

Advertisement