Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good place for a practicing speaking...

Options
  • 15-01-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi everyone,

i'm trying to arrange to meet with a native french speaker for some oral practice every week, as i'm studying next year in France, and i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good place where the two of us could talk?

somewhere quiet, but where you can have a conversation at the same time, like a common room/area?

i was thinking of the library in trinity/the ilac centre, but i havent been there in ages, and i dunno if there's a common area/room or anything like that there.

if you dont get what i'm looking for just ask and i'll try to explain it better.

cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There is also a French Language Forum here if its of any use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ConfusedFella

hmm... thanks for the link, i had forgotten about that forum, but what i was really looking for was a good place to speak french with the other person..., any suggestions?

somewhere quiet maybe, but not too quiet!

thanks for the link anyway :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I cant see why any coffee shop wouldnt do - nobody's really going to be taking notice of you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

i wouldn't recommend a library, they generaly frown upon talking. in Trinity they even frown upon talking in the general area, which is fair enough really.

as above, any cofee shop or if you don't want to spend money on coffee, trinity has couches in the arts blocks for students just to chill out, you could use one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Or you could simply stop in the street and have a 'conversation'. Radical idea I know but I believe it's catching on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

st stephens green? there is lots of park benches there

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

A quiet bar like the Palace Bar on Fleet Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ConfusedFella

dubtom wrote: »
    Or you could simply stop in the street and have a 'conversation'. Radical idea I know but I believe it's catching on.

yeah thanks for that. can't you just answer/contribute something without attempting to demean somebody? if you think it's a stupid q then just leave this thread.
    st stephens green? there is lots of park benches there
    UB wrote: »
    A quiet bar like the Palace Bar on Fleet Street?

i've never been in the palace bar, but thanks anyway, might give it a shot, and i think stephens green may be a bit cold at this time of year! thanks nonetheless for the answer.:)
    i wouldn't recommend a library, they generaly frown upon talking. in Trinity they even frown upon talking in the general area, which is fair enough really.

as above, any cofee shop or if you don't want to spend money on coffee, trinity has couches in the arts blocks for students just to chill out, you could use one of those.

i think we have a winner here! cheers rd, that's a great idea.

thanks to everyone who took the time to answer!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Dalas

On sundays there is a conversation exchange on in the Long stone pub at 5. There are different speakers every week but I think French are there most weeks. hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Isn't there a place on the corner of Kildare St and Nassau St, Cafe des Amies?
    Not sure if there are any sort of regular conversational meetups, but I'd be surprised if there weren't, it's part of this place:
    http://www.alliance-francaise.ie/home.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

yeah thanks for that. can't you just answer/contribute something without attempting to demean somebody? if you think it's a stupid q then just leave this thread
    ConfusedFella - if you have a problem with a post use the Report Post function.

It's better still to ignore any comments which may irritate you. Posting a response only gives 'oxygen' to the other person.

Advertisement