Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dust Annoyance!

• 15-01-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hi All

I have a bit of a dist/fibre issue. When I look through the viewfinder I see a fair bit of dust/fibres.

Now when I take a shot they dont show up on the picture at all which is good I guess but all the same I am constantly seeing them and it is wrecking my head.

If I take the lens cover off the camera and look at it from the front it seems to be the fibres are on the plate on the roof of the inside of ye can understand that!

How do I clean it!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

With great care.

That screen at the top is the focus screen. Scratch that and your camera may have troubles focusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭XLR8

Sounds like the dust is on the mirror.

When you press the shutter release the mirror lifts and exposes the sensor/film.

Take the lens off and clean the mirror with a blower. Try to avoid lens tissues... it's a delicate area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I wouldnt be too worried cos there only on the mirror and wont detract from the quality of the taken image......

If you feel compelled to clean it - use a rocket air blower, but hold the body downwards so you dont blow the dust on the sensor.

Edit: oh i get what the op is saying - thers dust on the prism? Again the air blower is probably the best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Thanks for the replies. I dont have a blower but will have to get one I guess!

The attached image taken with my crappy camera phone hopefully shows where I mean it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yep, it's your focus screen. Be careful not to scratch/damage it.

You should be able to blow the dust off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Yea thats the prism alrite. You could probably chance really light rub with a microfiber cloth, again make sure the camera is pointing down when doing it. You can also get a blower in camera exchange for ten euro if your in the big smoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I'd be more worried about that big black arrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I was using a D2H in Italy last year. There was a small bug that was crawling around on the focus screen. Took off the lens but it wasn't there. It was up on the top of the screen. Had to put up with it. Quite distracting watching the little fella running around inside.

Have no idea how one would get that cleaned up there. Lucky it wasn't my camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Well I got the dust sorted out...Followed the instructions here to remove and clean the screen and put it back in again. All that's needed are a really steady pair of hands and a tweezers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I would not be bothered if the dust does not influence the picture quality. And sooner or later there will be an exhibition with free camera cleaning again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement