Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl bandwidth

Options
  • 15-01-2009 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

can someone please tell me if this is normal for galway,with a 3mb connection.This is the result of a speed test but I have no idea what it means.:confused:

connection.858.95kilobits per second
    104.85kilobytes per second
    19.494seconds
    5:07 PM Thur Jan 15, 2009

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Should be getting around 360kb/s when downloading. Try downloading this file http://ftp.heanet.ie/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-40r6-i386-CD-1.iso and see what speed you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

thanks anima!
    340 KB/s.which is good enough for now.does this mean that my utorrent should be at this speed as well or has that got to do with the amount of seeders

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Depends on a few things.

today I recieved a letter from NTL saying that we've been upgraded to a 3mb ,I live in the Newcastle area. I presume this is at no extra charge,has anybody else recieved this letter.
    downloading on utorrent at 240KB/s and thats the fastest Its ever been but Ive just changed my settings to upload at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

You wont get full speeds on old or dated torrents and if you haven't set up port forwarding on your router.

• Advertisement

"port forwarding on your router"

whats this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

m83 wrote: »

Ha, Brilliant!!!!

looks waaaay! over my head thanks anyway

Its easy enough on the netgear router that you get from ntl. You just have to enter "www.routerlogin.net" in your browser. Username/Password = "admin"/"password". On the left, go to "port forwarding". Then "Add Custom Service". Type in a name (Torrents), leave the type to TCP/UDP.

Now you have to find out what port uTorrent uses. It should be in the settings for uTorrent somewhere, I don't know off hand as I don't use it. Find out what that is and enter it in the "starting" and "ending port".

Now you need to find out your IP, go to start->run and type in "cmd". A black window will appear and you type in "ipconfig" and hit enter. It should list a lot of numbers, look for "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Network". Now directly under that it will have "IP Address". Thats the number you need. Put that into the last field in the routerlogin page and thats a port forwarded!

• Advertisement

cheers!! I'll give that a go.

"port conflicts with other service"

so I dont think its done properly.but im happy enough with the way its goin right now, thanks again,anima.

No problem. That just means its already forwarded by another service in that list so should be working ok.

Advertisement