Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forer Effect

Options
  • 15-01-2009 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Also known as the Barnum Effect, which is basically a statement that Mediums use which can pretty much apply to anybody in some degree or sense. I recently got an online reading to test this, and see if I would get a selection of Barnum statements. They are vague statements but because the person getting it is looking for the meaning and supplies the meaning, then it appears as accurate. However, when one is aware of this technique, you view these statements in a different light. An example of a Barnum statement could be:

You have a need for other people to like and admire you, and yet you tend to be critical of yourself. While you have some personality weaknesses you are generally able to compensate for them. You have considerable unused capacity that you have not turned to your advantage. Disciplined and self-controlled on the outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure on the inside. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. You also pride yourself as an independent thinker; and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof. But you have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others. At times you are extroverted, affable, and sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, and reserved. Some of your aspirations tend to be rather unrealistic.

I got a online reading done and here was the result, I won't name the reader;

"You have to hold yourself a little aloft from this so you dont get caught
    up with the emotions of it. Christmas has brought a lot of this trouble to the fore
    wheather is happened around the time or the wound is re opened......You are an Indigo
    and will feel different to what a lot of other people feel, but as this may be a problem
    with other Indigios with you I feel you are pretty balanced at the moment. In the past
    you have had to draw on your inner strength and be focused. At the moment it is a time
    of patience for a -change- relationship to deepen or a new relationship. Be parient and do not judge.
    Pay attention to what is happening around you and be grounded. Things are going to go well
    for you so any new ideas plans , it is a good time to go for them.Your forgotten dreams
    it is now a time to reclaim them. Any blockages you are feeling give unconditional so
    that you may receive. You have to give to receive wheather it be in love or just in life
    generally.Whatever information you need trust your higher self and your spirit guides
    to provided it for you.

As you can see above, these statements are reasonably similar to the examples that Forer gave above. One line that stands out which is applicable everywhere is:

"You have to give to receive whether it be in love or just in life generally."

Who couldn't that be given to? If I gave the above reading which I got to somebody, they probably would claim 90% accuracy. I'd like people to post here whether the reading I got could also apply to them in the entirety.

I don't claim that every reader uses this technique as I don't have the statistics to back that up, but I can categorically conclude that this particular reader is using them and should be named & shamed but I won't do that.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Is it a reading given by someone on boards (via the subforum) or is it a randomer off the net?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

It was an Irish medium, reasonably famous and well known among the gullible-believers.

She charges in excess of €80.00 for a reading, which has to be the biggest waste of money and she is a professional con-artist...and if I had my way, what she does would constitute a criminal offense.

Did the reading above cost you €80 or is that for real life readings? And you can ask a mod if you are allowed to name someone. You might need to remove your direct accusations of con artist first though....

I will keep the con-artist title because that is their legal professional title in my opinion.

Therefore, I don't think I should name & shame the person. It was an online reading for free.

I would never waste €80.00 on a "Reading", I would rather give it to that disgraced priest in UCC.

Lucas10101 wrote: »
    Therefore, I don't think I should name & shame the person. It was an online reading for free.
    Im glad you clarified that, the impression could be taken that you paid for the actual reading you posted. Which I agree is vague and pretty meaningless. But without sampling the actual eighty quid reading, your opinion is also meaningless. Like a restaurant reviewer talking about a meal he has never eaten. Yes, it may well be that the reading would be crud, but you cannot say.

• Advertisement

My aim with this thread is to inform people of the Forer Effect and Barnum Statements.

I simply used her "online reading" as a perfect example. I never spoke badly of her live readings as I haven't gone to one.

What difference would be paying 80 euro be??

It's disgusting. If she did a 30 minute reading 8 times a day at 80 euro a pop...that works out at €640 a day or a €3,200 a week...so possibly she could be scamming over €100,000 of peoples money and she's probably claiming the dole the lazy bitch.

My aim with this thread is to inform people of the Forer Effect and Barnum Statements.

I simply used her "online reading" as a perfect example. I never spoke badly of her live readings as I haven't gone to one.
    But you called her a con artist for charging for her real life readings. Which is speaking badly of them?
    What difference would be paying 80 euro be??
    Her real life readings could be vastly different. I dont know. And neither do you.
    It's disgusting. If she did a 30 minute reading 8 times a day at 80 euro a pop...that works out at €640 a day or a €3,200 a week...so possibly she could be scamming over €100,000 of peoples money and she's probably claiming the dole the lazy bitch.
    You have absolutely no idea if any of that is fact. Its made up sensational figures... you should work for the Sun. Lets keep this to barnum statements and the forer effect as clearly your personal opinions of reader(s) make you far too heated. :) Less swearing too. Shame on you.

Oryx wrote: »
    But you called her a con artist for charging for her real life readings. Which is speaking badly of them?

Her real life readings could be vastly different. I dont know. And neither do you.

You have absolutely no idea if any of that is fact. Its made up sensational figures... you should work for the Sun. Lets keep this to barnum statements and the forer effect as clearly your personal opinions of reader(s) make you far too heated. :) Less swearing too. Shame on you.

Like I said above, I didn't speak badly of her "readings", it's her intentions I speak badly of.

They could be different, but because so many people have claimed she is accurate over online readings as well, I assumed otherwise.

Yes, I did say "If she..."...so yeah...of course it's speculative. Just in theory, she could rip off that amount if she got enough business.

I didn't swear and I was only telling the truth. She is a lazy dole-claiming fraudulent con-artist bitch.

I didn't swear and I was only telling the truth. She is a lazy dole-claiming fraudulent con-artist bitch.
    You, the believer give me the proof. It must be somewhere, or else you wouldn't believe it.

(Bitch is actually a swear word, as you will find out if you ever try addressing say, a nightclub bouncer with it)

You, the believer give me the proof. It must be somewhere, or else you wouldn't believe it.

(Bitch is actually a swear word, as you will find out if you ever try addressing say, a nightclub bouncer with it)

I don't "believe" that she doesn't. I assume she doesn't.

The fact you say "believe"...means there is some sort of "Faith" or absence of evidence. That's my point I don't "do absence of evidence", it's just not me. Therefore, you need to provide the proof that she has mystical powers that can speak to the dead, not me. I can't disprove it...proof needs to be provided on your side. So your argument falls apart.

If it is a swear word, then it's only just a coincidence she is such a thing.

• Advertisement

I don't "believe" that she doesn't. I assume she doesn't.

The fact you say "believe"...means there is some sort of "Faith" or absence of evidence. That's my point I don't "do absence of evidence", it's just not me. Therefore, you need to provide the proof that she has mystical powers that can speak to the dead, not me. I can't disprove it...proof needs to be provided on your side. So your argument falls apart.
    I was actually just quoting your words to someone else. If you are being a juvenile brat you dont deserve sensible argument.
    If it is a swear word, then it's only just a coincidence she is such a thing.
    Huh?

I was actually just quoting your words to someone else. If you are being a juvenile brat you dont deserve sensible argument.

Huh?

My words may be juvenile in your eyes, but that makes them no less true.

Likewise with the words I used to describe that self-conscious fraud.

Anyway back to the point of the Forer Effect. Does anyone have similar online readings their willing to share to support this theory?

Advertisement