Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

olymberyl aiden multi fuel stove, crazy fumes & stove settings+fuel recommendations.

• 15-01-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Second post today but I thought I'd keep them seperate. We are in our new house and as well as oil have an olymberyl aiden stove capable (supposedly) of heating up to 14 radiators. We burned in the stove as advised in the manual 5 small fires to let it cure (is is a matt black stove) and the smell was recognisable. But we discovered that whilst it keeps the room warm it doesn't do much for the hot water even if I turn the majority of the radiators in the house to 1 on their stats and leave maybe 5 or six at 4 to 5 on their stats.

So i decided to light a much bigger fire (with normal coal and 2.5 months after first burning in the stove), well the heat in the water seemed to come up BUT the fumes in the house almost would poison you, I have done this twice and still the fumes are awful. Could this simply be the last remnants of the matt finish drying?

Can anyone recommend good fuels or fuel mixes for the stove and ideal settings? The manual is a little vague to be honest. I has a sliding opening above the door, a large turnable opening in the ash door and a stat at the side from 0 to 9 i believe it is.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

i would also like to hear some advice on this as i am thinking of buying one of these stoves for a new build also.. sorry for hijacking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭JackieRyan

Hi
    have not quiet the brand of multi fuel stove you have ,,had just oil heating now i have duel heating,it heats 18 rads with no problem,have setting dial so can adjust the heat in the house when using solid fuel system even has a plate on top to use for cooking if you so wish,never had a problem with smells or fumes sounds like maybe it is not sealed right into the chimney flue,you may need to get this checked by an engineer ,i have recommended this system to friends several times and a few have gone and installed this system and are more than happy,and they also have no problems with smells or fumes

cheers
    jackie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭John mac

The fumes are normal! Paint curing etc...
    Last year I put in a stove and it took at least 8 fires to get the fumes gone!
    and even now with 6 months worth of fires if i let it get too hot it will give off fumes. (not to be mistaken with the fumes from the fire itself)

I haven't got a back boiler on mine (Stanley Tara) so cant comment on heating water,
    but have to say that for a small amount of Ecobrite the fire keeps the room roasting for the night and the following day!

best thing is read the manual regarding the settings for the dampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 needhair

thinking of putting in a olymberyl aiden multi fuel stove was wondering does anyone have any experience with these what are they like to heat radiators and the room as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Chief wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Second post today but I thought I'd keep them seperate. We are in our new house and as well as oil have an olymberyl aiden stove capable (supposedly) of heating up to 14 radiators. We burned in the stove as advised in the manual 5 small fires to let it cure (is is a matt black stove) and the smell was recognisable. But we discovered that whilst it keeps the room warm it doesn't do much for the hot water even if I turn the majority of the radiators in the house to 1 on their stats and leave maybe 5 or six at 4 to 5 on their stats.

So i decided to light a much bigger fire (with normal coal and 2.5 months after first burning in the stove), well the heat in the water seemed to come up BUT the fumes in the house almost would poison you, I have done this twice and still the fumes are awful. Could this simply be the last remnants of the matt finish drying?

Can anyone recommend good fuels or fuel mixes for the stove and ideal settings? The manual is a little vague to be honest. I has a sliding opening above the door, a large turnable opening in the ash door and a stat at the side from 0 to 9 i believe it is.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice folks.

All stove manufacturers should not quote the number of rads as it's meaningless as every house has different sized radiators for the heat output required. The manufacturers should only state the KW output or BTU output of the boiler and heat output to room.

Your fumes is it coal smoke or a haze in the air? It could well be the paint curing. Get a carbon monoxide detector installed and if it goes off you know it's fumes from the fire and so get the chimney/ installation checked.

bituminous house Coal is not generally reccomended to burn in a stove unless your stove manual says it's fine. It has large flames and high heat that can damage the internals. I must say though we burnt house coal on our villager boiler stove last winter with no ill effects. We are going to use wood this winter as it's much cleaner and dont get coal dust over the living room.

You do really need a blazing fire to get your rads hot from cold for the first hour, but should not get fumes after the paint has cured. Your stove may only heat the 6 rads especially if they are each 600 by 1000 doubles.

The thermostat from 0-9 is to control the water temperature. On initial lighting have it on 9 and after the house is warm enough turn it down. You will find the ideal temperature/dial setting with trial and error. This thermostat should allow air into the fire and cause it to burn well. Once the thermostat senses the water is hot enough it will close the air supply and go into slumber mode. It should work automatically:) Add fuel and leave it to regulate the air supply by its thermostat. The vent at the top is an airwash to keep the glass clean:) Make sure there is permanent ventilation for the stove. Could you post up some pics of the stove/ chimney installation?
    Stove Fan:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeresaL

I have just installed this stove in a new build. We are over the small-fire stages but cannot get enough water to heat any rads and the output is very slow. Disappointed overall in the operation, it just seems to eat coal. Th manual is very vague and it seems to only have the specs and installation instructions.

TeresaL wrote: »
    I have just installed this stove in a new build. We are over the small-fire stages but cannot get enough water to heat any rads and the output is very slow. Disappointed overall in the operation, it just seems to eat coal. Th manual is very vague and it seems to only have the specs and installation instructions.

Is it installed to the installation/ plumbing instructions? Did the plumber calculate the kw requirements of your excisting rads and then chose a stove with a suitably sized back boiler?

If you want to measure in mm of each rad and whether there single or doubles I will see if the boiler stove is undersized .

What setting is the pipe stat set at? Around 45 degrees is normal.

Does the rads get hot if you turn several off?

Does the hot water get hot from the hot taps?

How is the draw on the chimney? Is the stoves flue outlet from the top or rear from the stove?

Any chance of any pictures of the stoves plumbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

I am in the process of installing the Aidan in my house and have run into similar problems.
    First thing I noticed is that there was ni installation instructions - just a booklet about air draft and a poor schematic of a water system.
    I have installed into the main loop with also includes an oil fired boiler which works fine.
    The problem I have is that the stove does not circulate hot water to rads or tank.
    There are four connection points - is it critical which two are used or will any connection do for flow and return?
    I am pretty sure I have cleared all the air and al,so tried running it withe the central heating pump on to increase circulation.
    Our house is split level but no two storey so it should be easly to circulte.
    Would any body have a copy of an instruction manual?
    Also any ideas of how to get this blooming thing working?
    Any help asppreciated.
    Connel

Me again. We thought we would get the system running to capacity this w/e but still disappointed in this stove. We ran the oil system until we got the rads nice and hot and then thought the stove would take over. We fed it coal continually and did everything right (we are not novices with various central heating systems). Our plumber is one of the best and we also have a solar panel so the water is never quite cold. Anyway after heating with oil we let the range take over but it was still disappointing. We turned off several of the rads also. The rads were only luke-warm and this morning after two showers, the third one was only luke-warm. This is not what we expected after such and expensive installation and don't know where to go next. Thinking we should just abandon the range and stay with the oil. If the house wasn't so well insulated it would be quite uncomfortable.
    Can I say that the manual is useless with this stove so no point in passing it on.
    Would be interested in any pointers in getting better results.

I am starting to think the same.
    I was talking to a mate in the pub and he fitted a similar one recently and is also dissapointed. He installed a second pump this weekend so it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

• Advertisement

I decided to fit a second pump myself - and things have improved a bit but ony a bit.
    I notice the pipes at the back of the boiler were banging loudly and wonder is it cavitation. This settled down after about 10 mins.
    I have fitted to inflow pipe to the bottom of the boiler and the outflow above it at the top. Is this correct as I assumed that the colder water should enter down low a when heated rise to the top and out.

connel42 wrote: »
    I decided to fit a second pump myself - and things have improved a bit but ony a bit.
    I notice the pipes at the back of the boiler were banging loudly and wonder is it cavitation. This settled down after about 10 mins.
    I have fitted to inflow pipe to the bottom of the boiler and the outflow above it at the top. Is this correct as I assumed that the colder water should enter down low a when heated rise to the top and out.

Yep, flow at the top and return at the bottom.

If this is a four outlet boiler stove pipe the return diagonally opposite the flow outlet for better output. I see so many boiler stoves here only using one side of the stoves outlets and not cross flowed.

The boiler stove sounds as if the water inside is boiling. It shouldn't boil if correctly installed. Make sure the pipe stat isnt set too high about 45 degrees and there is a radiator on gravity circulation or hot water cylinder, ie doesn't rely on the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 myedesign

Plumber installed this stove a month ago. Large enough house but disappointed with heat to water and rads. Tried shutting off some rads but still only luke warm. Centre of boiler at rear of stove gets hot but heat of water in outlet pipes to tank and rads not great. Have pump set at around 50 c. Will have to get plumber back and then go to seller -
    stove centre in Castlebar. Using the ecobrite coal nuts recommended for closed appliances but they don't seem to be getting it to the required temp :(

We have persevered with the stove burning coal and logs and banking down with slack. The heat in the room and the first rad is great but other rads not great and half of them are turned off. Having a problem keeping the door clean and it doesn't clean with the instructions as per manual. I have to clean it every day before lighting. Has anyone mastered the technique of cleaning the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭allanpkr

i know this is much later ,but i have olymberyl aiden, hot water 11 rads just to say if i put the fuel in i get very hot rads,but it does take some fuel throughout the day nothing for nothing,as they say. we put it on midday about 1 hour later hot water is piping ,we have it turned up high. we burn turf. then about 6 0 clock add ecobrite and turf for nice warm house. no problems with ours. but as i say cant heat what you dont burn.

Yes, I have discovered that it is really necessary to burn lots of fuel. The coal is varied quality and I am going to try the anthracite, it might be warmer but much more expensive. I burn lots of logs when it is at its best but in order to warm the house first I burn an hour of oil. Economical it is not and I wouldn't recommend this stove for a single system and expect great output. It would be fine for a smaller amount of rads, say six or seven and they would need to be the average size that builders install. Roll on spring!

Just to say that I think I have solved the mystery of this stove. It needs lots of good coal and very big fires. I am going to try anthracite this week for Christmas so that might help. I am a bit worried as all the rooms will be used and we may have to back-up with oil.
    Now to the dirty door. I think I have the secret at last. I clean the door every day, this doesn't clean as per instructions. I got Ammonia cleaner (€1.99) in the supermarket and rub it on neat and wash off with a damp kitchen paper towel. It worked for me so would be delighted to know if everyone is successful. Happy Christmas everyone and keep warm!!!

very update news,just today 18/12/12 i have been doing it wrong, 1 . open all vents to light fire ,until fire is going. 2. close thermostat vent fully...close top slider...only leave bottom round vent open. turf and coal burn much ,much slower and stove burns much much hotter. check chimney no smoke , good sign. on cleaning glass we use green eco glass cleaner and kitchen wipe that is all. we have 11 rads all doubles 3 longest 1 towel 1 small 4 medium ,all very hot and our immersion is at 80 degress always.

sorry we only put eco brite in once about 5 0 clock at night .

also remember if you run hot water, then heat from stove is diverted from rads to cylinder tank , and rads will go cold very quickly, not stoves fault. i am now sitting in a very warm house and used hardly any fuel.actually i have bathroom windows open its to warm. will get hang off thermostat in time lol. merry xmas stay warm

• Advertisement

new update ,we ran out of turf, was burning ecobrite on its own --no good tried timber seasoned-- no good ... reason rate of burn. next door man kept saying turf burns to quick, but my rads and water was scorching hot his werent,,he burns timber,....imagine you burn a tonne of timber and tonne of turf klw value of each is same, but timber takes twice as long to burn. then heat is spread over too long a period , but although you may burn more turf in say hour yur getting twice the heat. i will not burn timber anymore just ecobrite and turf

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rick Bishop

allanpkr, how often do you put turf in the stove?
    i am using cole at the moment and i have to refuel the stove about every 30 to 45 min. which is quite ennoying.
    rads are getting perfectly hot though. i am thinking about buying a load of turf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

155945.jpg

Where do you get your cole?

It is Golden Glow packed by A Mc Loughlin and Sons, Buncrana.

I dont know if that says something to you?

we use our olymberyl allday and yes it does use a lot of turf. at night we put in a load of ecobrite around 5-6 o clock then smaller amounts of turf till bed. if you want to be very hot in yur house all day it will use fuel, but we have oil ch as well which we dont use now, but when we did rads were turned down to 2 and didnt go on till 5 or later in evening,just couldnt afford to heat with oil. you cant get heat without burning something , just saying to burn timber to get any heat you have to open bottom door and burn quicker, turf burns quick without that so more controllable.

Is ecobrite better than normal cole? how much are you paying for a 40kg bag?

i live in co. longford. lots of bogs around so shoudnt be a problem to get lots of turf. we dont have an oil boiler anymore. we have an olymberil aiden connected to 7 rads and 1 insert stove is all we have for now.

do you keep the fire running over night?

we use ecobrite cause its cleaner for stove and chimney, although on its own its just keeps place warmish lol needs something to it. costs 14.50 for bag no dont keep stove burning overnight. hope this helps.

i think you just have to try different fuels and different combinations,although i find coal and turf good, dont know how long will be able to cut turf. if we keep listening to EU. personally i will keep getting it cut as long as the turf cutter will do it

grand, thanks for your info.

i found ecobrite today and have to say it burns much longer than common cole and way less smoke and dirt. also ordered loads of turf today. will see how the turf and ecobrite works together.

what temp do you have the immersion set?

• Advertisement

yes ecobrite very little ash ,burns hot and clean,i think anthracite is only coal that is hotter but dont quote me,sure you can google it. we have our immerssion 80* very high but once fully hot if its cold outside then turn immersion off so all heat goes to rads. otherwise just leave thermo high,which is most of time. as i said in earlier threads once fire is going i close all vents accept bottom circle one. good luck

Advertisement