Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voluntary payments to my pension fund - Y or N?

Options
  • 15-01-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi - just wondering what people's thoughts are on the following:

My company currently makes a contribution to my pension on my behalf. Like most companies, I have the option to make a voluntary contribution on top of that which to date I havn't availed of. Im now in a position where I think I can afford to add something but with the market the way it is, Im not sure if I'd be thowing my money away? On the other hand, its a long term investment and I'd be buying the units at a low price...

What to do?! Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Depends on your age and the current/expected value of your pension at retirement. AVC's (additional voluntary contributions) are allowable against Tax so it is handy that way. Is there a professional involved with your pension administration that you could seek advice from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

There is an article in todays Irish Times Business Section saying that now is a good time (but then they are always saying that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Hi - just wondering what people's thoughts are on the following:

My company currently makes a contribution to my pension on my behalf. Like most companies, I have the option to make a voluntary contribution on top of that which to date I havn't availed of. Im now in a position where I think I can afford to add something but with the market the way it is, Im not sure if I'd be thowing my money away? On the other hand, its a long term investment and I'd be buying the units at a low price...

What to do?! Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Think of it this way: imagine it was say 18 months ago and pension funds were flying and all the companies were producing marketing literature showing how great they were - you would have invested.

Now the markets are in tatters, units are cheap and the marketing literature does not look very good - buy ;)

Advertisement