Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dart price increases. Iarnród Éireann taking us for fools.

Options
  • 15-01-2009 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭

How can Iarnród Éireann justify a 10% increase when the reason that they gave for the last increase was a barrel of crude at €200, Correct me if I'm wrong, but its now down at $37.
    Electricity prices for industry have dropped by about 10% in the last 6 months. Dart trains use electricity.
    Now I don't think they hedge their oil, too risky in Dublin, highly flammable.
    So are they taking us for idiots again or what?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

My commuter ticket just went up 10%. I often can't bring myself to cram (run & jump)
    onto the peak time services and so wait for the next :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Shop around.... oh..... errrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it's the government trying to take more money off people via stealth taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

My ticket rose by 10% from €69.20 to € 76.20 plus on top of that €8 parking a week, got a daily ticket today and man behind counter actually called them Robbing B********:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

I'd agree. When I have to catch the train into town from Wicklow town, it's €12 one way! Now we aren't on the DART at all, but Greystones isn't too far up the road really and it's basically 3 times the price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

crazy 10% is a hefty hike what reasons are the giving for this? i know there loosing big money every year but surely this isnt the consumers fault the price was too dear as it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Try the Cork-Cobh commuter railway for a price hike: 5 day return was 5.50, now a single is 4.15, and no 5 day returns, so I have to pay 8.30 now. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Increase prices in a recession? Brilliant :rolleyes: ...only in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 43 atmmusa

the same with Dublin Bus-all tickets 10% upp. Everything increases just my salary will not this year. f....ck, im in recession too , may someone notice that?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭swanvill

Irish Rail do hedge their oil and they do a 3 - 6 months in advance! So they would still have not benefited from the reason price drops. You must remember that Minister Dempsey (Transport) tells CIE what is acceptable price increase for the majority of fares and he signs off the price increase. if you want a price reduction then email him.

I found the best way to save money was to buy monthly tickets when i was commuting in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

swanvill wrote: »
    Irish Rail do hedge their oil and they do a 3 - 6 months in advance!

The DART runs on electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    The DART runs on electricity.

And how do you think the electricity is generated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Victor wrote: »
    And how do you think the electricity is generated?

The price of electricity has gone down, perhaps they hedged electricity prices :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

This is when i begin to say, screw the services and drive into work everyday.
    These people need to realise they can't just keep increasing ticket fares without any improvement in the service and when prices of oil has actually gone down.

So don't pay for the stupid over priced and inefficient public service. They also increased the bus fares without any improvement in service. They could have at least chucked out the dreary old busses and put more of the new ones on the road but thats not the case. They could have atleast increased the service and make it even slightly more frequent but thats not the case again. They could have made the service more efficient and on time but thats not happening either. They could have atleast made the service cleaner and more comfortable...nope!

I could say the same with the train. I'ld love to take the train more frequently if it wasn't so infrequent, so overpriced and for a ridiculously placed train station in the middle of nowhere when they could have had maybe moved the train station a few yards further up the tracks so it could be closer to civilization...

So why should we pay for an unjustified over priced public service while most other countries in western europe have a far more efficient service at a far cheaper price.
    Why should we pay for the public service when its actually cheaper, faster, more comfortable and more convenient to drive into work?!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭swanvill

Has not the length of the DART increased from 6 carriages to 8, therefore the level of electricity used would have also increased a similar proportion?

Or maybe the DART is being run like a business and they're using their market dominance to increase prices knowing that the majority of people are too lazy to shop around switch from single tickets to the much cheaper multi-journey tickets or take a different form of transport to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Dont take the dart then. My communte was from Glasnevin to Dun Loaighaire which took anywhere from 1h 10mins to 1h 30mins. A bus into town, walk to connelly station from the start of oconnell street. Wait 10-20 minutes on the dart then a 30-40minute train journey. It was a joke and couldnt take the waiting around/wasted time.

So what was the alternative; Driving? firstly i dont drive + with traffic it would be as much an annoyance as the bus/dart combo. So i started to cycle. 18-20km. Took me 45minutes. 36minutes pb

There are alternatives. Saved me a fortune too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Has not the length of the DART increased from 6 carriages to 8, therefore the level of electricity used would have also increased a similar proportion?

And with the extra space in those carraiges, wouldn't the number of paying passengers also increase? Can't see why they'd incrase the capacity otherwise.
    Or maybe the DART is being run like a business and they're using their market dominance to increase prices knowing that the majority of people are too lazy to shop around switch from single tickets to the much cheaper multi-journey tickets or take a different form of transport to work.

yep, I reckon that's it. They're a state monopoly using their market dominance to increase prices.

Advertisement