Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ken Ring is on from New Zealand

Options
  • 15-01-2009 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of sun in June and August Sept, quite warm with coolish damp Autumn. Prolly warmest in May (again!).
    Like summer 1977 and 1987 (sunspot cycle)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cheers Mike65, does Ken have a webpage/blog/podcast anywhere that you know of???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He does (jack of all trades but the weather page is behind a password!)

http://www.clown.co.nz/

and http://www.predictweather.com/

debunking http://www.sillybeliefs.com/ring.html

Heres the thread for his winter forcast http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055400922

Cheers Mike65.

clown.nz does not lend itself to convining oneself, does it!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 NITFBY

Not far off the mark with his predictions!! Wonder what the guys at met eireann would say about his predictions

https://www.predictweather.co.nz/assets/articles/article_home.php?id=68

Summer may be fairly wet over some months but not as bad as last year. There may be more sunshine this year, with temperatures not all that high. On the whole consistently warmer days may not arrive for most until later in the season, probably in the start of and then after June.
    For the rest of summer:
    JUNE, many areas dry for the first fortnight over most of the country and temperatures above 20degC, unsettled in second half.
    JULY, a mainly wet month for all. Parts of the north, west and east have chances of dry days only between 12th-17th.
    AUGUST, another wet month for all, with the east the chance of dry windows 4th-9th and 21st-25th and the SOUTH some sun 25th-30th.
    SEPTEMBER, likely to be the warmest and most summery month for all, with best of summer weather between 6th-17th for the whole country. So for all; time to plan holidays and picnics may be:
    In north: Sept 7th-22nd, in west:: Sept, 4th-21st, in east: Sept 7th-23rd and 27th-30th, and in south: Sept 6th-17th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 critical alp

Spot on again,Will be using this guy from now on, Met Eireann couldn't see a bus coming!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

Does anyone know how he works out weather in advance with apogees and perigees and moon phases etc, etc, etc, ?

What is the moon doing at the moment (or has done lately) to make good weather?

I know of old people years ago, who farmed near coastal mudflats, who used to be petrified of perigees.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

anyone know if he does the same for winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He does. Ken Ring says he uses the sea temps to predict the weather rather than air temps/movement if I recall right.

Does anyone know how he works out weather in advance with apogees and perigees and moon phases etc, etc, etc, ?

What is the moon doing at the moment (or has done lately) to make good weather?

I know of old people years ago, who farmed near coastal mudflats, who used to be petrified of perigees.

I think he uses the orbit of the moon and has records going back for years and years. He uses these records to establish a pattern for the weather

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Data_Quest

NITFBY wrote: »
    Not far off the mark with his predictions!! Wonder what the guys at met eireann would say about his predictions

https://www.predictweather.co.nz/assets/articles/article_home.php?id=68

Summer may be fairly wet over some months but not as bad as last year. There may be more sunshine this year, with temperatures not all that high. On the whole consistently warmer days may not arrive for most until later in the season, probably in the start of and then after June.
    For the rest of summer:
    JUNE, many areas dry for the first fortnight over most of the country and temperatures above 20degC, unsettled in second half.
    JULY, a mainly wet month for all. Parts of the north, west and east have chances of dry days only between 12th-17th.
    AUGUST, another wet month for all, with the east the chance of dry windows 4th-9th and 21st-25th and the SOUTH some sun 25th-30th.
    SEPTEMBER, likely to be the warmest and most summery month for all, with best of summer weather between 6th-17th for the whole country. So for all; time to plan holidays and picnics may be:
    In north: Sept 7th-22nd, in west:: Sept, 4th-21st, in east: Sept 7th-23rd and 27th-30th, and in south: Sept 6th-17th.

They are pretty scathing about the influence of the moon on weather patterns. I heard one of the weather people on the radio with him a few months back and she insulted the man big time (I was surprised he was so calm and did not really fight back). From the evidence above Mr Ring seems to be pretty accurate for this year at least. Maybe there is something in the moon impacting weather after all? I for one will be keeping an open mind and will try to understand more. There is a free pdf on his web page (200-300 pages) which I will download and see if I can use his methods.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    He does. Ken Ring says he uses the sea temps to predict the weather rather than air temps/movement if I recall right.

thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Data_Quest wrote: »
    From the evidence above Mr Ring seems to be pretty accurate for this year at least.

Ken Ring has been pretty accurate for a number of years. He's been a regular on Matt Cooper's Today FM show for several years. I first came across him listening to Matt Cooper while driving to Dublin in very cold weather in late feb/early march. He was on with Matt Cooper becuase he had predicted this specific weather, almost to the day, several months beforehand and Matt Cooper's listeners had been ringing/texting in asking for more info.

You need to understand that he predicts trends rather than hour by hour or day by day predictions. So he could be off by a few days. Its like the way you would recollect the weather of a few years ago. You might say June was pretty dry but July was quite wet and windy. He seems to be able to do that in advance.

Apparently in Asia his techniques are quite commonplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Anyone know what his predictions are for this winter yet?

Another article in todays Irish Independent's Agri Supplement.

Rather cool and wet end of 2009. Dry spells are forecast for first week of November and from December 10th to 24th. Christmas Day will be wet, not white.

Snow is forecast for around January 20th, February 20th and the first week of March 2010.

Summer in 2010 will not be dry again. Dry spells are forecast for the first and last weeks of June and again in the first week of July. :(

Danno wrote: »
    Another article in todays Irish Independent's Agri Supplement.

Rather cool and wet end of 2009. Dry spells are forecast for first week of November and from December 10th to 24th. Christmas Day will be wet, not white.

Snow is forecast for around January 20th, February 20th and the first week of March 2010.

Summer in 2010 will not be dry again. Dry spells are forecast for the first and last weeks of June and again in the first week of July. :(

Here is a link to article
    http://www.independent.ie/farming/kiwi-weather-expert-forecasts--a-watery-end-to-dreadful-2009-1886289.html

Thanks for posting, interesting 3 chances of snow. Pity about next summer though :(

Will be very curious to see if his predictions turn out to be correct. They were pretty spot on this summer!

snow yes...............

:D

would really love a snowy winter! :)

wet in London, with 8 years wet (1816, 1817, 1819, 1821, 1824, 1828, 1831 & 1839), with 1821 & 1824 being 'outstandingly' wet. 10 wet summers noted: just 3 'dry' years in this period noted: 1802, 1807 & 1840.

http://www.booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/1800_1849.htm

This kind of thing has happened before :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bandia

Elmo5 wrote: »
    would really love a snowy winter! :)

Hahaha..are ya stilll feeling that way??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Playing devils advocate here bit looking at the article from the independent I would have thought that an arctic spell that broke all records and lasted for a month would have been first thing he would mention!?! :confused: (article is from 15th Sept 2009).

And to be fair to say an Irish summer is going to be wet is like saying ducks like water :P

bandia wrote: »
    Hahaha..are ya stilll feeling that way??

I still love a snowy winter but not too impressed with no water, no schools, roads caked in ice ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

SeaFields wrote: »
    Playing devils advocate here bit looking at the article from the independent I would have thought that an arctic spell that broke all records and lasted for a month would have been first thing he would mention!?! :confused: (article is from 15th Sept 2009).

And to be fair to say an Irish summer is going to be wet is like saying ducks like water :P

You're dead right. If you forecast in a sufficiently wide manner, you can always claim you were correct.

I predict there'll be wet spells in February and March this year. I'm going to bet on rain showers around the 20th. It'll be much warmer in the summer and there'll be a particularly warm spell in either June / July or August. It could even be warm enough to get a sunburn.

Advertisement