Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lust at Tripod (formerly The Pod)- any good?

Options
  • 15-01-2009 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Has anyone been to the new gay club night yet at Tripod?? (what used to be the Pod). There is a club night called Lust that has been on a few times already and the next night is Jan 17th (this coming Sat). Thinking of heading there for the first time on Sat to break from the usual George/Dragon routine. Wondering what it is like/music/crowd etc. I long for the old Friday nights at the Pod (great music and sometimes even greater talent!) and even enjoyed Slatterys when it was good. There doesn't seem to be anything like it in gay Dublin at the moment for that type of specific house/club music . Even Spy stopped their Sat nite gig a few months back. I'm hoping this new Lust club will be along those lines.

Any reviews or comments welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

if its anything like spy (spice) it will be a welcome event but that would be hard to top. spice was the only dublin gay club i ever went to that i wasnt dragged to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 macho_man

I went to the first one of these, wasn't that impressed actually. The music sounded very repetative, it was hot, sweaty and dark. Very crowded as well. we ended up going downstairs and dancing to the cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

tripod isn't the pod - the pod is still there. Tripod was The Redbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

Is tripod on tomorrow night does anyone know? ... i mean gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

ongarboy wrote: »
    Hi all, Has anyone been to the new gay club night yet at Tripod?? (what used to be the Pod). There is a club night called Lust that has been on a few times already and the next night is Jan 17th (this coming Sat). Thinking of heading there for the first time on Sat to break from the usual George/Dragon routine. Wondering what it is like/music/crowd etc. I long for the old Friday nights at the Pod (great music and sometimes even greater talent!) and even enjoyed Slatterys when it was good. There doesn't seem to be anything like it in gay Dublin at the moment for that type of specific house/club music . Even Spy stopped their Sat nite gig a few months back. I'm hoping this new Lust club will be along those lines.

Any reviews or comments welcome!
    First off, I'm a 21 year old gay guy, single, off scene for about 9 months, and this was my first time going out in quite a while (due to time being invested in college). I like my dance music, so I was really looking forward to hitting this new night.

I went last week, and didn't think much.

Three rooms downstairs playing different music. First was decent, though cheesy. Second was banging. Third was pretty boring, needed to be spaced to enjoy it.
    Rooms upstairs are the "gay" rooms. First one had alternative music, this is where we took up our seats. I wasn't a fan of the crowd, seemed to be just a load of omg-this-is-the-very-latest-trend kind of people. Not too packed though.
    Top floor had more dance, and was also geared as "gay". Music was great, I really enjoyed it, dancing was good too. Very very different crowd to normal gay bars (which is good), but quite a bit older too (making me the youngest on the floor). Definately no pulling to be had here.

Booze was expensive, and bars poorly stocked. No Bulmers on tap, only Cashels (which had a very musty smell to it). No blackcurrant (or other more reasonably priced mixers). Pretty much forces cheap beer on you at higher-than-normal prices, or paying through your nose for a coke. Not impressed.

I think calling it a gay night is pushing it to be quite honest. The variance in music meant people strayed from one room to another (which was fine), but the higher straight population just turned every room into your standard night out. No drag queens, at least.

Thankfully, I didn't pay in (concessions were being offered at the bottom of harcourt street as we walked up), but even if it were free every week, I don't think I would return.

• Advertisement
Advertisement